Safe use of paypal

tjansen

Help please on the safe use of paypal or even better, an alternative to use.

I don't even know that the website that I reach is a spoof or genuine. Therefore, I cannot do anything. Whèn I entered my email and password, I was presented with two sign in blocks telling me to change and confirm my password. No mention of my name. When I send it to spoof, I get an auto reply that is totally irrelevant.

I anticipate a problem even closing my account.

I would appreciate detailed guidance on closing my paypal and then secondarily replacing paypal.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Tom

@tjansen The problem you are experiencing is why I closed my PayPal account a couple of years ago. I was being asked to change/verify my password EVERY time I tried to log in to pay for something. I think the messages ARE from PayPal and not a scam. I reported this to PP several times but could not get the issue resolved to my satisfaction. After about 20-30 times I got sick and closed the account.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Use a clean malware free computer and try again.

Go to paypal.com and no other domain name.

About 8 years ago I discovered that the ADSL modem/router in my condo had been compromised and the DNS changed (the ISP/Modem supplier patched it once flaw dicovered). Even entering the correct domain could have led to security problems or redirection to a dangerous site. One has to be really careful when looking at the pages presented. 

31 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Nowadays they have an authorization app that can be linked to the app on your phone and pc.

As a second verification on login and before transactions.

Many financial institutions have these 2 step verification...pretty secure

Do you have a Thai PayPal? It seems they don’t have 2FA.

Registration seems closed and they are relaunching, maybe will be a feature.

2C3F94DA-0AD1-4ACB-A0F2-34DC02D918E3.jpeg

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

Do you have a Thai PayPal? It seems they don’t have 2FA.

Registration seems closed and they are relaunching, maybe will be a feature.

Yes, I do have a Thai PP, and I use google authenticator with it...

18 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

@tjansen The problem you are experiencing is why I closed my PayPal account a couple of years ago. I was being asked to change/verify my password EVERY time I tried to log in to pay for something. I think the messages ARE from PayPal and not a scam. I reported this to PP several times but could not get the issue resolved to my satisfaction. After about 20-30 times I got sick and closed the account.

Great that's what I want to do. Did you find a good replacement for PayPal?

5 hours ago, tjansen said:

Great that's what I want to do. Did you find a good replacement for PayPal?

I was mainly using PP to buy stuff on eBay which I rarely use now as I can get most things via Lazada or Aliexpress. If I need to buy something which I used to buy with PP, I use UK Visa debit/credit card to buy it.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

You are very lucky i hqve tried to close my account for 2 years impossible.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:43 AM, jumbo said:

Nowadays they have an authorization app that can be linked to the app on your phone and pc.

As a second verification on login and before transactions.

Many financial institutions have these 2 step verification...pretty secure

Does this work on any account you have, or must the target site accept that kind of verification? It seems every site uses a different method.

Recently I had to buy a USA  Skype phone number just to be able to verify and get SMS codes when all I wanted to do is change an email address in my profile for certain accounts.

My USA ISP dropped the VOIP phone service linked to my USA cable  account a month ago, so I canceled that service. Naturally some of them wouldn't send SMS to or accept a Thai phone number for the 2 factor authentication either. They demand a USA phone number.

So connected we're told, but not so much in too many ways.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I was mainly using PP to buy stuff on eBay which I rarely use now as I can get most things via Lazada or Aliexpress. If I need to buy something which I used to buy with PP, I use UK Visa debit/credit card to buy it.

In Kasikorn internet banking one can set up electronic Visa card, what is separate from the plastic card in your wallet. 
Usually I only put a small credit limit as  needed, and transfer the money that I intend to spend that day with these cards, so, even if someone would have access to that card information, the transaction would be turned down.

19 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Does this work on any account you have, or must the target site accept that kind of verification? It seems every site uses a different method.

Recently I had to buy a USA  Skype phone number just to be able to verify and get SMS codes when all I wanted to do is change an email address in my profile for certain accounts.

My USA ISP dropped the VOIP phone service linked to my USA cable  account a month ago, so I canceled that service. Naturally some of them wouldn't send SMS to or accept a Thai phone number for the 2 factor authentication either. They demand a USA phone number.

So connected we're told, but not so much in too many ways.

For I use it to access to PP to be sure I am in the actual PP environment, the PP guarantees take care of the rest.... I had 1 or 2 issues in the past and PP paid and took care of the rest/claim....

I do all in and from Thailand and purchase more or less globally for myself or for my kids in EU

VISA/Mastercard have there own verifications which you can turn on or off with 2 step verification when not linked to PP account and used direct... 

I use 2 step on basically all cards and pay instruments,  like WISE but also stock or crypto exchanges, plus all the portal safety measures. It takes some work and some login and passwords to remember but it feels safe. I never would use a password service as I have no idea how their safety is set-up

IF you store your passwords make sure it is encrypted and don't use shared devices or  3rd party wifi networks like hotels, offices, friends houses. Outside the house I only use direct data services, my laptops are never on wifi anywhere...... Then you should be pretty safe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KKr said:

In Kasikorn internet banking one can set up electronic Visa card, what is separate from the plastic card in your wallet. 
Usually I only put a small credit limit as  needed, and transfer the money that I intend to spend that day with these cards, so, even if someone would have access to that card information, the transaction would be turned down.

All CC can provide 2 step verification above a certain amount... also you can set limits where the bank/card issuer will contact you for approval, through app or SMS

Now, if we just would all move to crypto currency than this matter would be solved by its security.....

Close the banks with there  ridiculous fees and crappy services (can you actually bank 24/7 and in weekends?) and  the world would be cheaper and better....

2 hours ago, jumbo said:

For I use it to access to PP to be sure I am in the actual PP environment, the PP guarantees take care of the rest.... I had 1 or 2 issues in the past and PP paid and took care of the rest/claim....

I do all in and from Thailand and purchase more or less globally for myself or for my kids in EU

VISA/Mastercard have there own verifications which you can turn on or off with 2 step verification when not linked to PP account and used direct... 

I use 2 step on basically all cards and pay instruments,  like WISE but also stock or crypto exchanges, plus all the portal safety measures. It takes some work and some login and passwords to remember but it feels safe. I never would use a password service as I have no idea how their safety is set-up

IF you store your passwords make sure it is encrypted and don't use shared devices or  3rd party wifi networks like hotels, offices, friends houses. Outside the house I only use direct data services, my laptops are never on wifi anywhere...... Then you should be pretty safe

Thanks. I hear all you're saying!

I too use 2FA everywhere I can. I actually had to bully one USA bank account to add it two years ago. They saw the light.

Iuse Wise exclusively for bank transfers from USA to Thailand and have for years.

I've also used ExpressVPN for going on ten years and it's actually installed on my router itself. When I go out and (seldom) use alien wifi I turn on the VPN app on my phone as well. I'm also aware of plugging into alien 'free USB chargers' that can be data siphons. I just carry a power bank when I travel.

I am waiting for the day that something like Google authenticator is used more universally though. I wouldn't even mind an external dongle if was universal protection.

I use a password manager local (and encrypted) on my phone and laptop. I don't store in the cloud, even photos.

I recently went thru my password manager and deleted /closed all accounts that are stale, and updated passwords. Recently I moved all my email from Google to Protonmail for the added security. That took three days; It never ends.

I go to great pains  to keep my web footprint to a minimum, and avoid browsers like Chrome and Edge; I just switched to the new beta Ghostery Dawn browser since Cliqz is shutting down. So far I like it a lot. I always keep mobile apps for banking etc off my phone.

It's sad that so many layers of protection are necessary to even open the web today, but it is what it is.

It's encumbent on us to constantly be aware of new scams and how to protect ourselves, and I deplore the time it takes to do that. It's a constant battle between light and darkness I guess. Wheels within wheels, layers upon layers, deeper and deeper.

Ever onward thru the fog.

What I like about PP is that it adds another party to any problem involving a transaction, so if something goes wrong there is the credit card company and PP.  If it is a eBay transaction you then have three entities on your side.  Fortunately I've yet to need this trifecta.

I have an account with a US bank that, whenever I try to log in to my account, insists on sending me a one-time code either by SMS or phone call (email not an option).  This happens even when I log in via a familiar net address in the US.

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

What I like about PP is that it adds another party to any problem involving a transaction, so if something goes wrong there is the credit card company and PP.  If it is a eBay transaction you then have three entities on your side.  Fortunately I've yet to need this trifecta.

I have an account with a US bank that, whenever I try to log in to my account, insists on sending me a one-time code either by SMS or phone call (email not an option).  This happens even when I log in via a familiar net address in the US.

Exactly that is what I like about PP as well and sellers tend to react sooner as their rating will suffer....

Moved my USD account to TW, easier and cheaper to transfer to any kind of currency and without the hassle

Edited by jumbo

So I tried opening a paypal account.
Not possible for thailand at this moment so for my euro country, but you need a phone to open a paypal account ?

Then I read that paypal takes 5 % when you send money from a bank to your PP account ?
You have to link your bankacc to it ( or credit card) , so a family member cannot send money to it from their bankacc ?
And you should allow PP to take money from your bankacc for costs ?
Can you pay with PP if there is not enough on your PP acc , so that PP acts as a sort of credit card ?

What Jumbo wrote :
 "don't use shared devices or  3rd party wifi networks like hotels, offices, friends houses."

Hotel LAN ok ?

If something goes wrong and PP or credit card company knows you paid via a non supported OS , like w7 , will you be denied support like banks do ?

• Haha 1