Renewing drivers license in Phuket. Have things changedin the last four months?

Inepto Cracy

Hello. I need to renew my drivers licenses for car and motorcycle in Phuket, ( EXP end of AUGUST 2021) and seem to be getting lots of mixed answers on how to go about it, forms needed etc? Spoken  English language also seems to have diminished due to Covid 19.

It was six years ago since I renewed my last licenses, but Covid 19 has now become an excuse for everything.

Can anybody just supply a list of documents they need, when to go to DLT and how much money I need to take with me please?

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Go to immigration and request COR (certificate of residency) take copy of visa and copy of front page passport,and one passport photo. You will receive a COR,which should be free.Go to clinic or medical office and pay 100 baht for medical certificate per each license. This is a blood pressure test and a current medication list. Take COR,medical certificate,copy of current visa,copy of passport front page to License office. Ladies at entrance will give you appointment date to return.                                 
      Moto renewals are running 6 weeks out.Auto renewals 3to 4 weeks out. I believe you can go 90 days either side of expiration.The renewal will expire on birthday , so if you go after current calender year birthday you will get some extra months over five years. Show up at 8am on appointment date for reaction brake test, color traffic light test, payment and photo . Issued on thespot.   
Hope this is clear .  Remember past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

• Thanks 2

I went on 7th May, and was turned away as they said the area was closed for the foreigners. Come back in 6 weeks they said. If you manage to get anywhere, please post again so we are aware of them being open for business again. They might open up again once these "exciting new rules" are applied on 1st June.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

why speculate and seek opinions on such basic matters ?

simply visit DLT website for source data and visit DLT for compliance.

same logic with IMM. matters........

one million stories, none relevant to our specific cases......

Agreed - find out by going directly to the DLT in person.

But, the DLT website has not been updated in over a year, I wouldn’t rely on any government or public office type website in any country.... 

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:55 AM, Inepto Cracy said:

Hello. I need to renew my drivers licenses for car and motorcycle in Phuket, ( EXP end of AUGUST 2021) and seem to be getting lots of mixed answers on how to go about it, forms needed etc? Spoken  English language also seems to have diminished due to Covid 19.

It was six years ago since I renewed my last licenses, but Covid 19 has now become an excuse for everything.

Can anybody just supply a list of documents they need, when to go to DLT and how much money I need to take with me please?

Thank you very much.

- Proof of address (letter of Residence from Immigration or Affirmation of Residence from Embassy, or yellow house book).

- Medical Certificate (from a  local clinic)

- Photo Copies of existing passport (ID and visa page)

- Photo Copy of current licence. 

- Money (its a few hundred baht - can’t remember exactly)

Turn up at the DLT and see what they say, see if they are accepting walk-in’s for driving licence renewals.

(it seems some DLT’s are rewewing licences while others aren’t)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

no walk ins anymore for any DLT Licence ; two stage process

1.Application Acceptance

2. Testing & Issue Appt (often six weeks later)

TIPS:

(a)take an imminent flight booking print out to combine the two steps as a single walk in visit

(b) go just after birthday to get your five year licence starting from next birthday ( “six year” licence)

nb: basic licence requirements are correct on DLT website ,as at end March anyway (got mine then).

On 5/29/2021 at 2:43 PM, richard_smith237 said:

- Proof of address (letter of Residence from Immigration or Affirmation of Residence from Embassy, or yellow house book).

- Medical Certificate (from a  local clinic)

- Photo Copies of existing passport (ID and visa page)

- Photo Copy of current licence. 

- Money (its a few hundred baht - can’t remember exactly)

Turn up at the DLT and see what they say, see if they are accepting walk-in’s for driving licence renewals.

(it seems some DLT’s are rewewing licences while others aren’t)

I've tried and have never seen Phuket Land Transport Office accept a yellow house registration book as proof of address.  I've had to use the Residence Certificate from immigration each time.

11 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I've tried and have never seen Phuket Land Transport Office accept a yellow house registration book as proof of address.  I've had to use the Residence Certificate from immigration each time.

The same has been reported by guys renewing in Pattaya / Chonburi DLT.

I wonder why the Yellow Book is not accepted at these DLT offices whereas it is in others (ie. BKK Area 3).

I suspect its because some regulation has been misinterpreted and a legacy mistake has been grandfathered through. Of course, those in positions of decision making power at such DLT centres don’t care to see a mistake corrected, its of no interest to them. 

I would like to get to the bottom of ‘why’ these DLT offices will not accept what is ultimately the best form or proof of address one could have. 

I wonder if anyone has ever taken in a Yellow Tabien Baan house book (and Pink ID) as proof of address and upon refusal had them ‘kick the can’ up the chain and actually been told ‘why’ this proof of address is not accepted as proof of address.

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The same has been reported by guys renewing in Pattaya / Chonburi DLT.

I wonder why the Yellow Book is not accepted at these DLT offices whereas it is in others (ie. BKK Area 3).

I suspect its because some regulation has been misinterpreted and a legacy mistake has been grandfathered through. Of course, those in positions of decision making power at such DLT centres don’t care to see a mistake corrected, its of no interest to them. 

I would like to get to the bottom of ‘why’ these DLT offices will not accept what is ultimately the best form or proof of address one could have. 

I wonder if anyone has ever taken in a Yellow Tabien Baan house book (and Pink ID) as proof of address and upon refusal had them ‘kick the can’ up the chain and actually been told ‘why’ this proof of address is not accepted as proof of address.

No one has tested this refusal as mentioned in your last paragraph to my knowledge.

The only deficiency that I can see for the yellow book is that once it's issued it's never updated.  For instance, go to get a Certificate of Residence from immigration and it will be dated.  Same with the embassy letter.  The yellow book has the date when it's issued but from that point on it's never checked.  So when someone accepts the CofR or the embassy letter they know it's been checked recently according to the date on the document.  With the yellow book they can only tell when the book was issued which may have been years before.

Getting the yellow book is quite the production.  Requires a Certificate of Residence from immigration, and two Thai witnesses in my case.  Took well over an hour.  Funny story, I went back to the Tessaban where I was issued my yellow book to get a pink card.  Couldn't get a pink card because those were only for migrants from neighboring countries.  The official at the Tessaban saw I had the yellow book and told me that every year I needed to go to immigration to get a Certificate of Residence from immigration to prove that I was still at that address and present to the Tessaban or they would have to inactivate the yellow book.  She said they kept a list of all the yellow books issued by the office and if someone didn't come in to update that they still lived at the same place then the yellow book would be withdrawn.  Needless to say, I didn't take her up on her offer as the sole reason I got a yellow book was to avoid having to get Certificates of Residence. ???? Actually, in Phuket the sole reason to have a yellow book seems to be to get a pink card, which after years I finally figured out was obtained at the Amphur office rather than the Tessaban.  With a pink card and 50 baht I can get a cup of coffee at any shop in town, except for Starbucks. ????

Edited by skatewash

7 hours ago, skatewash said:

Getting the yellow book is quite the production.  Requires a Certificate of Residence from immigration, and two Thai witnesses in my case.  Took well over an hour.  Funny story, I went back to the Tessaban where I was issued my yellow book to get a pink card.  Couldn't get a pink card because those were only for migrants from neighboring countries.  The official at the Tessaban saw I had the yellow book and told me that every year I needed to go to immigration to get a Certificate of Residence from immigration to prove that I was still at that address and present to the Tessaban or they would have to inactivate the yellow book.  She said they kept a list of all the yellow books issued by the office and if someone didn't come in to update that they still lived at the same place then the yellow book would be withdrawn.  Needless to say, I didn't take her up on her offer as the sole reason I got a yellow book was to avoid having to get Certificates of Residence. ???? Actually, in Phuket the sole reason to have a yellow book seems to be to get a pink card, which after years I finally figured out was obtained at the Amphur office rather than the Tessaban.  With a pink card and 50 baht I can get a cup of coffee at any shop in town, except for Starbucks. ????

The Yellow housebook doesn't have to be confirmed every year, this is absolute bs.

When it is issued it is valid until you change your address.

The pink id card is indeed issued at the Amphur and the Tessaban has nothing to do with this except that you need the yellow book in order to get the ID card.

It is also correct that Phuket transportation department doesn't accept the yellow book and i also don't know why not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inepto Cracy said:

zzzzz, Stalingrad and Richard_Smith237, thank you, you gave me the correct answers, re paperwork. I have stopped reading after the second post by Richard _Smith where he rightly lists the paperwork. Thank you all.

One thing about Phuket (and I renewed my DL two months ago), when you arrive and they check your paperwork, they will give you an appointment to come back, typically after two weeks, to complete the process.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pagallim said:

One thing about Phuket (and I renewed my DL two months ago), when you arrive and they check your paperwork, they will give you an appointment to come back, typically after two weeks, to complete the process.

When i was there in early April the appointment given was 5 weeks after. I managed to find an agent who got me in quicker.

I wonder what would happen if i showed up after 5 weeks when my Medical, and possibly also RC would have expired? Told to renew paperwork and get another appointment? And its not like you can go make an appointment and then get the paperwork. All needs to be ready to even get the appointment slip.

2 hours ago, MajorTom said:

I wonder what would happen if i showed up after 5 weeks when my Medical, and possibly also RC would have expired? Told to renew paperwork and get another appointment? And its not like you can go make an appointment and then get the paperwork. All needs to be ready to even get the appointment slip.

No problem at all. Medical and RC are still valid. I had 6 weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

really ? “an hour” to get a yellow book, involving thai witnesses, normally needing multiple interviews,written witness statements and translations (unless purely verbal) ?

My Karon YB took 12 weeks of bureaucratic bs: interviews, police clearance, embassy passport cert.,witness written statements, etc.

Now I know some municipal,like Patong, are dead easy & fast & even issue both YB and Pink ID.

I had to go to Interior Ministry Phuket Town with my full YB File and yes the ID took one hour but not YB.

TIP: used a rebooked imminent return flight ticket print out, with other regular docs., to get an immediate DLT Licence issue. same day YB / ID / DL. new world record perhaps.......?

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 9:55 PM, skatewash said:

I stopped by Phuket Transport Office (Licence bureau) earlier this week to start the process for my Thai license renewal (where license expires toward the end of this month of June).  I had with me:
- proof of address << my pink Thai ID card (they accepted the ID 'for now' to make the appointment,  but they requested when I return on appointment date I bring my "Yellow Book" and also bring photocopy of relevant pages out of Yellow Book).  They did not ask me for the Certificate of Residence (COR) from immigration given I showed them my Pink ID and advised them that I had a Yellow Book.
- Medical certificate << filled in by my Thai nephew (on wife's side of the family) who is a doctor (and who did the 'examination')
- passport (with photocopies)
- current license (with photocopies)

I was given an appointment for end-July.  I guess I will find out then if "Yellow Book" is adequate or if they change what I was told and ask then for a COR.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I stopped by Phuket Transport Office (Licence bureau) earlier this week.  I had with me:
- proof of address << my pink Thai ID card (they accepted the ID 'for now' to make the appointment,  but they requested when I return on appointment date I bring my "Yellow Book" and also bring photocopy of relevant pages out of Yellow Book).  They did not ask me for the Certificate of Residence (COR) from immigration given I showed them my Pink ID and advised I had a Yellow Book.
- Medical certificate << filled in my Thai nephew (on wife's side of the family) who is a doctor
- passport (with photocopies)
- current license (with photocopies)

I was given an appointment for end-July.  I guess I fill find out then if "Yellow Book" is adequate or if they change what I was told and ask then for a COR.

Wow!  Potentially ground-breaking news.  Please do report back.

So LTO has seen your address on your Thai Driver's License, your Pink ID card, and they will see it in your yellow book.  All the same address.  It would be gratuitous to insist on a COR, but at least you could obtain one from the nearby immigration office if they insist.

I can just guess that when the Phuket Driver's License manual for foreigners was put together for some reason only COR and embassy letter were mentioned as proper evidence for proof of address.  The Yellow House Registration Book should have been listed as well and in fact is accepted at many (most) LTOs elsewhere in Thailand.

Edited by skatewash

17 minutes ago, skatewash said:

So LTO has seen your address on your Thai Driver's License, your Pink ID card, and they will see it in your yellow book.  All the same address.  It would be gratuitous to insist on a COR, but at least you could obtain one from the nearby immigration office if they insist.

yes - Immigration office is close to LTO in Phuket .... but I do hope at last minute they (LTO) don't ask for an immigration COR (given as you note current Driver's Licence, Pink ID and Yellow Book all have same address).

The appointment for my Driver's license renewal is end-July, and if upon showing up very early in morning on my appointment date they then change their mind, and ask for an immigration COR, it would be a mad scramble on my part to race to Immigration, obtain a COR, and race back to Phuket LTO, and not lose my renewal opportunity on that day.   I note thou, they did say that the appointment 'day' reflects the 'earliest' day to come for the test, and I can, if need be, show up at the LTO in the the few days after the 'appointment' date.

Anyway I am hoping they don't change their mind and I am hoping they accept the proof in the Licence, ID, and Yellow Book of my residence. They will also have Passport copies showing I am legally in Thailand, so all 'bases' should be covered, ...  but ... well ... one never knows.  

I'll post again end-July if the driver's license renewal succeeds with (or without) being asked for the immigration COR (but having Yellow Book instead).

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

as the cor is free  PLUS its good for 30 days, same as medical

why not get one??

Its an idea (as a backup) - but it is extra effort.  An idea would be to have such, not show it to them, and see if old Driver's License, plus pink-ID, plus Yellow Book sufficient, and if they reject such, then whip out the COR and say "oops - forgot I had this" ????

The last few times I went to immigration for a COR they required a passport sized photo (maybe 2 photos ? I can't recall) to go with obtaining the COR.  If one doesn't have such, then one needs to go through the extra effort to get that photo (as they would not accept a home printed photo in passport size) which may cost a trivial amount of money in addition to the effort.

Have things changed now, where a passport sized photo no longer required?

Its an idea thou.

• Like 1

I will be renewing both my Car and Motorbike driving licenses at the same time. Does anyone know if you need an original COR and medical certificate for each license, Or if they will accept one original of each, and a copy to go with the other license?

3 minutes ago, RawaiFlyer said:

I will be renewing both my Car and Motorbike driving licenses at the same time. Does anyone know if you need an original COR and medical certificate for each license, Or if they will accept one original of each, and a copy to go with the other license?

Take original and copy and on sight original the transport officer will endorse the copy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:06 PM, oldcpu said:

The appointment for my Driver's license renewal is end-July ...

I'll post again end-July if the driver's license renewal succeeds with (or without) being asked for the immigration COR (but having Yellow Book instead).

In Phuket today, I was successful in obtaining my Thai Driver's license renewal, with it now renewed until mid-January-2027 (my birthday month).   This replaces my old previous 2 year "temporary" Thai driver's license which expired in the 3rd week of June this year.

COR:  I did NOT need to go for an immigration COR, but rather I used my Yellow Book and my pink Thai "ID" in lieu.  Both my Yellow Book and my pink Thai ID have my same address on them (ie they are consistent). 

Driver's License content: One thing that surprised me (a LOT) was they entered my pink Thai "ID" # in my driver's license, in the same place where my Passport # used to go.  Currently there is NO passport # on my new Thai Driver's license, which is (I think) unusual.  

Honestly, I don't know if this is good or bad ?    I am thinking .the following:

The Bad (?) :  There is a new 'restriction' line on the back of my Driver's License which was not on the temporary, stating in Thai something like one is not allowed to drive outside the area (?) without permission.  Possibly that is a result of them using the Pink ID instead of a Passport # in the Driver's license ? < not sure > 

The Good (?) :  I do note my pink Thai "ID" is good 'for life' as my being over age-65 (?) means the pink Thai "ID" doesn't expire. Further my passport would have expired in 2025 ... which I think, if the passport # was on the Driver's license, could have created complications with a new Passport # not matching the Driver's License record of one's passport # ?  < not sure >  .... so at present, there are no expiry issues , other than my Driver's License expiring in January-2027.

If they had placed my passport # in the Thai driver's license,  then for the last couple years of the Driver's License (from about 2025) , my passport # would have been incorrect in the driver's license.

On Line video:   wrt the OP original question, prior to going for the renewal at the DOT, I registered/watched the renewal video, on line.   I think previous one needed to watch the video at the DOT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1