New requirement for extension of stay based on marriage?

Just a heads up in case this isn't well known.

I went to get my extension of stay based on marriage today (Jomtien immigration).

I handed in all the required documents but was told I needed to get my Kor Ror 2 updated from the district office. 

Perhaps this rule has always been here but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. For example, the useful comment in the thread below had a report from 2020 and they just mentioned handing in the Kor Ror 2 but not getting it updated.

Anyway I just thought I would share in case it is indeed a new rule. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it might have been because I have a different passport number now to what was on my original kor ror 2. But this was the case when I made my extension application last year and I wasn't asked to get it updated.

5 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

Ah ok - I guess this must be a fairly new thing in Jomtien then.

Well if you think about it, and we all know about immigrations confusing standards from office to office, this is quite reasonable . As one could have divorced yet still have a copy of the original Kor Ror 2 with his ex wife just playing along when applying for the extension, hence the need for an authenticated new KR2 

• Like 2

We went today to Ampeur Banglamung to get an updated KR2. Took 3 minutes. The only thing required was my wife's ID. I didn't have to show my passport and my attendance there was not even necessary. At the past I remember we had to sign the KR2 - this time no signatures were needed. So, super easy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XGM said:

We went today to Ampeur Banglamung to get an updated KR2. Took 3 minutes. The only thing required was my wife's ID. I didn't have to show my passport and my attendance there was not even necessary. At the past I remember we had to sign the KR2 - this time no signatures were needed. So, super easy.

Agreed. It was very easy. I went alone to get it updated - no need for wife to be there or any signatures like you say 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Anyhow my Question is how long is the KR2 valid for in the eyes of immigration, if i got it the day before, will they think we might have got divorced overnight LMFO

The day before certainly should be accepted. Some office accept one up to 30 days old.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 6:18 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have needed a updated Kor Ror 2 for my extensions since 2012. I think most offices want one now.

+1

And in Buriram the KR2 can also be a max of 1 day old! So we get one and then goto Immigration the next morning.

Doing it the same day (and in combination with the Bank letter) would be a stretch because Amphurs are usually very busy

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

OP, I have ben doing marriage extensions in Jomtien for 3-4 years now and always required  KR2.

Not sure what you mean by getting a KR2 updated, as its a document you get reprinted each year then give it to immigration, ie: still married.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 11:19 AM, XGM said:

When my wife got one late last year I stayed out of sight in the car unless they saw me and needed an incentive to do their job. It's happened before, twice. One, the uniform spent 10 minutes saying why she couldn't sign a form confirming a photo of me was me, until I just got up and walked out. My wife, of course, wai'd her as she wore a uniform. Two, I was going to get a Yellow Book but they threw up so many obstacles I just gave up, like telling me I had to get every page of my passport translated at a particular place in Bangkok when I'm in Kalasin Province.

Yes.  I get an undated Kor 2 every year. 
A trip to your Amphur office, in our case usually a 5 or 10 minute wait, and Bob's Your Uncle.  Best to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, Lacrimas said:

How do they know it is updated when there is no date on it? I have handed the same for 3 years!

When a printout of Kor Ror 2 is done at a Amphoe they do a stamp on each page of it with the date. This from a scan of the one my wife got last year.

image.png.48be53749dab8e1194658309943488e6.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure what you mean by getting a KR2 updated, as its a document you get reprinted each year then give it to immigration, ie: still married.

Updated explained:
Obtain a new, dated copy of the Kor 2 from an official source, i.e, the Amphur office.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, I have ben doing marriage extensions in Jomtien for 3-4 years now and always required  KR2.

This was my first renewal (after my initial application last year). When I applied for my first extension last year, I just handed in the KR2 that I originally had. 
But this time, they said it had to be updated i.e. I couldn't just hand the original KR2 in. I had to get an updated version from the office where the marriage was registered. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, drh1010 said:

But this time, they said it had to be updated i.e. I couldn't just hand the original KR2 in. I had to get an updated version from the office where the marriage was registered. 

A printout of the Kor Ror 2 can be requested at any Amphoe.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 6:21 PM, drh1010 said:

no need for wife to be there

Provided that the staff at your amphur have a reasonable grasp of the English language, of course - which tends to be the exception rather than the rule, though.

20 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

My one-year extension based on Thai spouse expires 26 of August. 

When can I, or should I, apply for the next extension?

It depends upon the office your apply at. Some allow you to do it up to 30 days early and others 45 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 8:10 AM, Lacrimas said:

How do they know it is updated when there is no date on it? I have handed the same for 3 years!

It should be dated and it does expire.

I read as much on this very forum in preparation for extension couple years ago.  As per some in this thread, my wife argued, called my crazy, and all other such pleasantries.  We went to amphur, she went in to inquire while I sat out with the baby.  She comes out with fresh document and begrudgingly says " tilak, what you say jing jing.  lady say paper expire, need new every time."

Closest thing to victory with my bride as I can have.........

But I don't remember how long it is valid, maybe 30 days??? 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

But I don't remember how long it is valid, maybe 30 days??? 

AFAIK it doesn't actually "expire" - there is no expiration date on the document in any case. How recent it should be depends on whoever requires it. We got ours on Monday and went to Jomtien immigration today (Friday) - that was ok.

Edited by XGM

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 12:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

Whey a printout of Kor Ror 2 is done at a Amphoe they do a stamp on each page of it with the date. This from a scan of the one my wife got last year.

image.png.48be53749dab8e1194658309943488e6.png

MMM I see, I didn't notice the stamp

On 6/3/2021 at 12:54 PM, drh1010 said:

This was my first renewal (after my initial application last year). When I applied for my first extension last year, I just handed in the KR2 that I originally had. 

Last August I went to Sri Ratcha and for the first time ever they asked for a new KR2. Said just to pop down to the local Amphur and come back, wouldn't take long. It was about 10.30 and there were about a hundred people in the queue at the Amphur, told us to come back late afternoon. 

Drove along to Chonburi, but hit the lunch break so about 2pm when got back to immigration.