My Thai immigration office does not accept two bank books

Had this happen to me and my missus maybe 10 years ago at Kap Choeng IO.  Officer asked why we had 2 bank accounts. Not his business really as long as the total sum covers what is required for gaining my extension. Anyway the officer blew a gasket and accused my wife of trying to make him look a fool and playing games. He seemed to be doing well without her help. Anyways he stood up grabbed the 2 books and threw them onto the officers desk next to him and walked out. 

The officer on the next desk told us that she didn't know why we had this problem as we had done nothing wrong. It's the collective sum that counts, and not that it has to be in one account, to be accepted. Never saw the <deleted> of an officer again.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, peixotorms said:

There is nothing you can do.

Complete tosh. Speak up for yourself if you know for sure you are correct and they're wrong. When in doubt walk out and phone the Immigration Help-Line.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Complete tosh. Speak up for yourself if you know for sure you are correct and they're wrong. When in doubt walk out and phone the Immigration Help-Line.

Immigration Help-Line: thank you. but what's that? phone number? do they speak English?

22 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Apparently immigration don't know ho to add numbers. They are now demanding that the money should be in one  account only

My friend had an account in Pattaya with adequate funds for retirement, one year he was advised that he needed to have an account in Phetchabun where he lived by his local IO (as it was unacceptable to have all his funds in a region he didn't reside), so he opened a new account in Phetchabun and transferred mid year 400K into it.

The next year he submitted both the accounts totaling in excess of 800K, and was told it should be in 1 account only and he was stupid to have opened a local account as a Pattaya account was acceptable. When he said it was in specific response to to Phetchabun requirement he was effectively told to go and use agent.

OP only I can think of is to go back have a nice sit down talk

with the officer explain mathematics if need be. Start at telling 

the officer you like to solve between the two instead going up

chain of command. 

Take two or three years that two banks wasn’t a problem.

Hopefully the officer will see the light.. if not msybevtime 

to step on toes... or not depending on the overall situation.

Take your wife unless you fully understand Thai and she 

can signal it ok or,, road block.. 

it’s unfortunate and hope you have success getting it

sorted out without further issues... 

Enjoy what’s left of the weekend ...

On 5/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, sweatalot said:

Anyone have any idea what I can do? 

Move 40k baht from Bangkok Bank to SCB, it's never worth arguing with authorities like Immigration.

In the future keep 400k baht in one bank account, matured according to the rules, when you apply for extension of stay based on marriage...????

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

it's never worth arguing with authorities like Immigration.

Yes it is if you know you are in the right. I'm not one for sitting on my bum if I know the the score and after 15+ years of dealing with immigration I think I know when I'm being shafted. Nah, stand your ground if you know you're right. 

For some strange reason IO's seem to think that every person coming through their door are newbies and will try to treat you accordingly. People who decide ''it's never worth arguing' are the people that allow IO's to give us the run around. My advice is to grow some and just don't think of yourself. 

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, DjSilver said:

you should start by asking them if there is a new rule or law that states only one bank book. After that you should say that you have used two bank books in the past and if that doesn't work demand to speak to their supervisor. And if that doesn't work tell them that you will contact division one and get the rules in writting. And if that doesn't work, just get the denied decision and appeal. 

Good answer, joining the "scared of your own shadow" brigade will get one nowhere.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, peixotorms said:

I think you should just stop complaining or stop trying to understand. Thai bureaucracy is like that, it's like using google translate, just doesn't make sense.

You don't need to understand, only to obey. I agree it's nonsense, but they decide, so if you want the visa, just do as you are told. There is nothing you can do.

Someone in an earlier post advised the OP what to do. may I also add, demand to see the boss in the same tone of voice that he is using towards you.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

demand to see the boss

Don't demand. Thais don't like confrontation. And to cause 'loss of face' for the IO ain't gonna go down well. As I've said earlier' 

13 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

When in doubt walk out and phone the Immigration Help-Line.

and then go back when you are 100% sure you are in the right.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Don't demand. Thais don't like confrontation. And to cause 'loss of face' for the IO ain't gonna go down well. As I've said earlier' 

and then go back when you are 100% sure you are in the right.

Yes, wrong wording, don't demand, ask, but don't show any fear, and use the same tone of voice that is being used towards you.

I have done it on two occasions, and it worked for me.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:08 AM, glegolo said:

You ask what to do.. Yes one thing though forget if you aiming to win over Thailand and win over an immigration-officer. I can tell you that it is much easier to do what you are being told and to follow the law in the country you are a guest in.

Quite. Some think it is ok to rubbish the Thai authorities but start complaining when things go against them.

What goes around comes around and we will all suffer.

14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What goes around comes around and we will all suffer.

Only if you don't grow some and you stand your ground. Farang that don't stand their ground and accept tosh that is thrown at them are the cause of why the IO's carry on doing what they do well at, shafting farang. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have done it on two occasions, and it worked for me.

Even telling an IO a little white lie "The immigration 'Help-Line'  told me...........'. will help in most cases.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 1:52 AM, sweatalot said:

Now suddenly they don't want to give me a visa, even though the amount is sufficient. They want to see the money on one account

Took me a while to actually understand a sentence that my best man who used to work with me would say to me for years, i.e. "it is what it is"

The only thing I can suspect here is that the application has to go to another office as opposed to them doing it in house like with retirement visa's, e.g. no other eyes looking over their paperwork.

Now who knows what scrutiny the application goes through at the other office and if a mere mistake or oversight is found then it is reported to their supervisor and the more hits that office gets, the less something that office gets, e.g. promotional opportunities ?

I recall before retiring in my last job of 20 years as times were changing with technology, that my reports would have to be back into the office system within 24 hours and then it would be checked by compliance before being forwarded to where the report had to go.

The amount of knit picking was unbelievable, I am talking about a full stop missing, but it didn't stop their, apparently the other side (third party) also had an external compliance contractor who would randomly pick out our reports and if they could find the smallest of faults they would send the boss a scathing letter of please explain and we would have to respond, now get this, if we had more than two of these external letters (which we didn't) and they couldn't accept our response, we could have lost the account, meaning millions of dollars in revenue per year gone to someone else.

I know this is different, but compliance is A-nal and gives everyone a reason to shuffle papers around to justify their existence, even if the evidence is there, albeit it 400,000 baht is in 2 accounts.  

As others have suggested, "comply" have 400,000 baht in one account, that is too easy, as I always find something new added with my marriage application every year, last year was a cracker, the time before that even better, I expect something every year and just smile with 2 large A4 envelopes with additional papers ready to smile back at them and give them whatever new thing it is that they want, naturally they cannot hear my words under my breath.

At my office, I think i was told that for the marriage extension the money had to be in one account. As they never allowed a mix of income and money in the bank for the marriage visa, maybe just to make the IO's life a bit easier. Retirement used to allow a mixture of money in multiple accounts bank and income, but now most offices want money in the bank OR income since last year. 

Next change - retirement extensions may want it all in one account as well? who knows? Since coming here eleven years ago there has been an average of more than one change a year on visa rules.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:56 AM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Only if you don't grow some and you stand your ground. Farang that don't stand their ground and accept tosh that is thrown at them are the cause of why the IO's carry on doing what they do well at, shafting farang. 

Obviously in your country foreigners are encouraged to tell the authorities how they should change things to suit their needs.

How does that work out?, rhetorical question we see it in the news.

56 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously in your country foreigners are encouraged to tell the authorities how they should change things to suit their needs.

How does that work out?, rhetorical question we see it in the news.

I think in most of "our" countries the authorities wouldn't make up their own arbitrary rules but would follow the written rules. Thus no need to remind them how to do their job.

In countries like Thailand the authorities sometimes need a reminder on how to do their job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Few years ago I went for Retirement visa using a joint bank account, at Krung Thai with my Thai wife.  fulfilled all the requirements; more than 800K for more than 3 months.  Rejected by Mae Sai Immigration as "Two names not allowed"  later clarified that if two names in bank book, then 2x 800K baht required.  Never mind that only 1 named wanted a visa.  Of course Krung Thai could not simply change the account holder name in the book, but had to open new account with my name only and start again.  Used this account ever since, mainly for visa only.

IMHO there is no point in arguing or appealing the I/O decision, as it would only cause I/O to lose face and be more difficult.

I guess that whatever might be written, it come down to I/O making the rules.  TIT.

I am lucky enough to be able to afford to keep an account ( only 1 name) mainly for Visa renewals, and use joint account for day-to day money.  I regard the 800K as being my emergency fund, and hope never to have to use it.

3 minutes ago, Robin said:

Few years ago I went for Retirement visa using a joint bank account, at Krung Thai with my Thai wife.  fulfilled all the requirements; more than 800K for more than 3 months.  Rejected by Mae Sai Immigration as "Two names not allowed"  later clarified that if two names in bank book, then 2x 800K baht required.  Never mind that only 1 named wanted a visa.  Of course Krung Thai could not simply change the account holder name in the book, but had to open new account with my name only and start again.  Used this account ever since, mainly for visa only.

IMHO there is no point in arguing or appealing the I/O decision, as it would only cause I/O to lose face and be more difficult.

I guess that whatever might be written, it come down to I/O making the rules.  TIT.

I am lucky enough to be able to afford to keep an account ( only 1 name) mainly for Visa renewals, and use joint account for day-to day money.  I regard the 800K as being my emergency fund, and hope never to have to use it.

In the 8 years I've lived here, it has always been the requirement that the account used for evidence of funds/income has to be in the sole name of the applicant.

You can always register your wife as an 'authorised user' of the account, thus allowing her access to the account, but the account stays in your sole name.

If your legally married, why not change to an extension (a permit, not a Visa) based on marriage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think in most of "our" countries the authorities wouldn't make up their own arbitrary rules but would follow the written rules. Thus no need to remind them how to do their job.

In countries like Thailand the authorities sometimes need a reminder on how to do their job.

Do you really believe that in any particular country every immigration officer applies the rules in exactly the same manner?

Do you really believe that in any particular country that all visa decisions can be challenged and open to change?

Those that think it is clever to try and tell the authorities how to do their job will end up making things worse for everyone, the rotten apple always gets it's way.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Those that think it is clever to try and tell the authorities how to do their job will end up making things worse for everyone

I honestly think that anyone that doesn't stand up for himself will make life harder for all that follow. I question authority here and nearly 16 years later I'm still here. 

Question for you Sandyf. If you went to immigration tomorrow and the officer ask for 300 Baht to do a 90 day report, would you pay it or question the payment?

One more question. 

Sandyf if you went to transfer the stamps from your old passport to your new one would you pay 500 baht for the service? Baring in mind that there is currently NO charge for doing so.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Those that think it is clever to try and tell the authorities how to do their job will end up making things worse for everyone, the rotten apple always gets it's way.

The 'rotten apples' in this case are the many corrupt officials that give Thailand Immigration a bad reputation. There are those IO's that if they get a sniff your weak, don't know, don't understand the requirements will walk all over you.

There are situations where the regulations are quite clear and you need to open your mouth and make a stand, or be trodden on underfoot. I've experienced these events many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Do you really believe that in any particular country every immigration officer applies the rules in exactly the same manner?

Definitely not as much variation as in Thailand.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Do you really believe that in any particular country that all visa decisions can be challenged and open to change?

I think in "our" countries you can usually go to court if you think that they treated you wrong, and then you will be allowed to stay until the court made a judgement.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It's exactly the opposite. The ones who give in to all the <deleted> thrown at them from immigration make it worse for everyone, because immigration sees that they can easily get away with it while filling their pockets.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 8:26 AM, wprime said:

Like any bureaucracy, go to the back of the queue and try again with someone else.

what do you do if the office has only 1 person dealing with extensions.

90 day reports are handled in a side office by a different officer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think in "our" countries you can usually go to court if you think that they treated you wrong, and then you will be allowed to stay until the court made a judgement.

Yep, try doing that in Ting Tong Land.