My Thai immigration office does not accept two bank books

5 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

Those who have fixed deposit accounts -- how did you open them and where? Bangkok Bank says they cannot open without work permit, but I am retired. On OA extension and in Bangkok if that makes a difference.

Common response is to try another branch. 

Personally, I used an agent for my initial savings account, then opened my own fixed account a month later.

18 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I honestly think that anyone that doesn't stand up for himself will make life harder for all that follow. I question authority here and nearly 16 years later I'm still here. 

Question for you Sandyf. If you went to immigration tomorrow and the officer ask for 300 Baht to do a 90 day report, would you pay it or question the payment?

One more question. 

Sandyf if you went to transfer the stamps from your old passport to your new one would you pay 500 baht for the service? Baring in mind that there is currently NO charge for doing so.

I use 90 day online, never been a problem.

When I got a new passport the stamps were transferred, no mention of any payment.

It is fairly obvious you are more hung up on the "brown envelope" scenario than anything else. I am not so nieve as to believe it is not something that happens, but in over 20 years not to me personally. In fact the only payment I have made which I suspect was used to facilitate a process was made very willingly. In 2009 I paid a relatively small fee to a shipping agent to get my container out of the docks in a matter of hours.

The few cases of brown envelopes I have heard about have been where people have made mistakes, got into problems and had to buy their way out.

I take it you have never been to Canada where people are effectively coerced into tipping the bar staff.

16 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

Those who have fixed deposit accounts -- how did you open them and where? Bangkok Bank says they cannot open without work permit, but I am retired. On OA extension and in Bangkok if that makes a difference.

As a matter of interest the Bangkok Bank gives the following requirements for opening an account on their website.

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Of course we're all aware individual branches will put insist on their own requirements when people want to deposit cash with them.

I opened an account in my local branch in Hua Hin with nothing more than a passport, I'm also retired. If I were in your position I'd go to their main branch on Silom, they're probably more likely to abide by the requirements of the bank rather than making it up as they go along.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

@peterdwje2 I wanted to open a FD last year.

Bangkok Bank wanted all sort of rubbish. Something from my embassy and something from my Oz bank. Absolute rubbish. This was at large branch Nana Sukhumvit.

Note: been here several years on extensions and had existing bank a/c at another.

Walked in to Kasikorn and short time later walked out with FD and Savings a/c 

Took my condo lease (don't recall them looking at it).

By the way if it's for extensions and your using CW imm don't open a/c with SCB (no branch at CW)

Edited by DrJack54