Teach me about Apple Music ; downloading , play lists , anything else worthwhile ?

oldcarguy

I just got 6 months free Apple Music  when I bought my Airtag ,  nice  little extra , 

But what can I do with it ? ? ?

I have tried Spotify a few times and it was a lot of work to select music to play later , 

so are there any tricks to make Apple Music easy ?   Is there a list of play lists that others have made up ?

Mostly listen to old Blues , old reggae , 80s New wave , 60s-70s Rock but not Heavy Metal,

And is there a way to record it to MP3 to  use on an MPS player etc , 

I am not an apple guy , I have an ipad  and now the Airtag , but the rest is Android , 

Thanks for your help ,  and if you want the same deal and are in the USA , the $29 Airtag includes 6 months Apple Music + apple News+

3 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

And is there a way to record it to MP3 to  use on an MPS player etc , 

Pirating is not supported by Apple.

There are apps on the Mac that record all audio.

you may be able to find an app to buy for the iPad that allows recording a sound stream.

Android may have an app that can record from the Apple Music app that you will need to install to listen to your subscription on your android devices.

@oldcarguy

DAGS will help get you quick answers. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

If your goal is to add free songs to your collection of MP3's, there are easier and more productive (mostly illegal) methods.  A Google search can be your co-conspirator.

It sounds like you don't have an actual computer, so I suggest you include "Android" in your Google search.

Edited by gamb00ler
add Android

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I didnt buy the music from APPLE...so they erased a years worth of work hand picked music...MY mp3s..not bought from Istore

There are options that you can choose.

They did not just erase your hand picked downloads. Your brother did that by choosing the wrong options you did that by not having a backup. 

All my iPods have a lot of tracks, tens of Gb of them, that are not bought from Apple. FWIW I don’t think I’ve actually paid for music from apple, only Amazon or personally ripped CDs

Yes it’s unfortunate that your brother erased the tracks you gave him, and sad that he wasn’t protected from himself. 

No I don’t use Linux. I have used iTunes from day 1 on Macs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

They did not just erase your hand picked downloads. Your brother did that by choosing the wrong options you did that by not having a backup. 

All my iPods have a lot of tracks, tens of Gb of them, that are not bought from Apple. FWIW I don’t think I’ve actually paid for music from apple, only Amazon or personally ripped CDs

Yes it’s unfortunate that your brother erased the tracks you gave him, and sad that he wasn’t protected from himself. 

I remember iTunes and it's seeming stranglehold on content.  I'm so glad Apple abandoned that product at least on Macs.

I can't remember the exact scenario but I was trying to sync my iPod to a computer and iTunes warned me that my content on the iPod would be lost because the same content did not exist on the new computer!  Somehow both I and my content survived the experience.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I remember iTunes and it's seeming stranglehold on content.  I'm so glad Apple abandoned that product at least on Macs.

I can't remember the exact scenario but I was trying to sync my iPod to a computer and iTunes warned me that my content on the iPod would be lost because the same content did not exist on the new computer!  Somehow both I and my content survived the experience.

Apple has abandoned the name iTunes and split its actions to a couple of other apps. 

iTunes is certainly not an app that is very easy to use and has some rather poorly designed options, but having used it from the first version I generally understand its foibles. 

Hi

I  want to listen to the music on a MP3 player since I have limited data , 

I do have a Windows PC ,  but iTunes never worked that well  on Windows , 

Anyway  is there a place that has play lists ?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, covidiot said:

sorry i don't know about apple, but there's a lot of free music on youtube.

you can download the videos.

or if you just have an mp3 player, you can download just the audio part i think ... 

there are plenty of apps that will strip the audio from a YouTube video 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

Hi

I  want to listen to the music on a MP3 player since I have limited data , 

I do have a Windows PC ,  but iTunes never worked that well  on Windows , 

Anyway  is there a place that has play lists ?

Thanks

There are several/many, surprisingly a good place is Apple ???? 

DAGS (Do A Google Search) and you will find them

On 5/29/2021 at 8:42 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Sorry Apple  lol....   got all the ipods at second hands shops or used online..would never pay full price to such a company that acts this way...never use apple software

Why do you deal with Apple  at all if you don't like it?

3 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Why do you deal with Apple  at all if you don't like it?

I just like the ipods--the ones with the clip so when biking they are portable and easy to use..that is my extent of apple product use....cost me $20 used..blue metal

I use a clone Linux software to load and manage it..several choices there and as always Linux is free for all

Nothing against apple "products' per say bit I dont agree with its business style as u never truly OWN the product

Please dont be offended and 1000 pardons.....hail king apple......Tim cook #2024....better?

Edited by Sticky Rice Balls
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 11:13 AM, gamb00ler said:

I remember iTunes and it's seeming stranglehold on content.  

Humm…. No strangle hold that I can see.

I have hundreds of gigabytes of audio books, maybe a hundred or two megabytes of music, none of it purchased through Apple, all of it managed via iTunes, incidentally all stored outside the iTunes folder structure. 

So I don’t know why it appeared to you that the content was controlled by Apple. 

That you may not like the iTunes interface is understandable but there are alternatives you can use even on Mac. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Also noticed apple changed my music format when I used itunes..mp3 to become their format..shady AF

iTunes doesn’t change file formats unless you ask, it’s Apple Music that can give you the higher quality “AIFF files (that) typically contain higher-quality audio than similar MP3 files.”

Yes I agree Apple is shady AF to give you better quality music. ???? 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 4:36 AM, oldcarguy said:

Is there a list of play lists that others have made up ?

I many times play the top 100 lists, there are one list for almost every country in the world and also a Global top 100, I some times even play the Top 100 Thailand.

If  you purchase music from Apple music the files is NOT encrypted and you can put on MP3 players, or even give away to friends. But then you have to pay for each song or Album on top if the streamed Apple Music songs.

If you have Apple devices, iPhones, iPod, iPad etc you can download encrypted songs from Apple music and store to be played offline.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:18 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

There are options that you can choose.

No I don’t use Linux. I have used iTunes from day 1 on Macs 

Yes, I do the same from day 1 i use Apple, but I get bored from them.

Now, when I start up iTunes on my Mac repeatedly I get a pop-up window to log in @ itunes.

And I don't like to log in when I only like to listen to my music on my computer.

11 minutes ago, Tubulat said:

Yes, I do the same from day 1 i use Apple, but I get bored from them.

Now, when I start up iTunes on my Mac repeatedly I get a pop-up window to log in @ itunes.

And I don't like to log in when I only like to listen to my music on my computer.

I’m a little confused as I don’t get asked.

I do leave myself logged into my appleID account. 

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I’m a little confused as I don’t get asked.

I do leave myself logged into my appleID account. 

I prefer my privacy, why I have to log in when i only like to listen to my music....all records and cd's and tapes i transfer to itunes, more than 127Gb by myself.

1 hour ago, Tubulat said:

I prefer my privacy, why I have to log in when i only like to listen to my music....all records and cd's and tapes i transfer to itunes, more than 127Gb by myself.

In that case I would use a different player. & AFIK there is absolutely no need to log in to play your own tracks stored on your own computer.

I haven’t checked as I don’t have my main Mac running often but will have to run it soon to do a full iPad backup to get ready for the new one that’s on the way, so I’ll check later. 

which Mac OS version are you using?

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In that case I would use a different player. & AFIK there is absolutely no need to log in to play your own tracks stored on your own computer.

I haven’t checked as I don’t have my main Mac running often but will have to run it soon to do a full iPad backup to get ready for the new one that’s on the way, so I’ll check later. 

which Mac OS version are you using?

I don't understand so too because it never happens before, and suddenly it happens, on my MacPro with 10.14.

I also have a Mac mini with Big Sur, and there is everything normal without pop-pup screen.

2 hours ago, Tubulat said:

I don't understand so too because it never happens before, and suddenly it happens, on my MacPro with 10.14.

I also have a Mac mini with Big Sur, and there is everything normal without pop-pup screen.

It’s really quite simple.

on the Mac Pro with 10.14 you are not logged into your  your Apple ID.  On the Mac Mini with big Sur you are logged into your Apple ID.

You can just hit cancel and continue using iTunes without being logged in on your Apple ID there is no problem as long as all the content is on your computer. Paragraph if any of your content is bought from Apple then you probably have to be logged in with your Apple ID.

4 hours ago, Tubulat said:

I prefer my privacy, why I have to log in when i only like to listen to my music..

As long as all your content is on your computer you do not have to login you can just hit cancel and carry on using iTunes without any problem.As long as all your content is on your computer you do not have to login you can just hit cancel and carry on using iTunes without any problem.

On 5/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, gamb00ler said:

yeah if you Sync the iPod to the computer via PC, your iPods content is Replaced by whatever Itunes content that was Selected. The Content sitting on your iTunes can also -comprise non Apples sourced music such as CDs Mp3s that have been saved on the PC harddrive...     If however you connect the iPod to the PC via USB, and you didn't have any content in your iTunes at the time - then the iPod ends up[ Empty of music. 

I experienced this a few times until finally got the hang of it. At the time, I was actually intending to do any transferring of music at all; but was really doing attempts at backing up iPod Content such as NotePad files.  

iTunes to iPod management is done via USB

iPod Content management (i.e. non music files) is done via WiFi  

by the above; my angle on this is that I now use my iPod to also log daily Diary type content - such as daily budget happenings after daily shopping; Car Fuel logbook; Garden Planting Diary etc etc 

Note: To BackUp this iPod non-music content - I back it up to another identical iPod, via the home Wifi. All iPods/iPads/iTunes have the same Apple ID

I am always careful as the (actually both) iPods, an iPad, and the computer all hold the identical  Mrs's Thai music content (Sayan Sanya etc) + the non music content... 

Everytime one USB-connects any of the iPods/iPad directly to the computer - I always first fire up the iTunes to make sure it is prepared, by have all the same music titles still intact and 'selected' - to make sure all the iPods/iPads end up with the same music still on them after disconnecting...  

The scary thing with connecting the iPods via USB is that; apart from the above regime for holding onto Music - is the heart attacks one has when one finds that connecting via USB causes the wiping of non-music content from the iPod  ???? 

the above written reads very convoluted - but then that is what iTunes is!!

• Thanks 1