Alternative to IPad

Maybole

yeah go Android ???? 

from experience with iPads...   the built in speaker system will fail... just a matter of 'when?'   and it happens to all models without prejudice - all one has left is the earphone...  

how can one fill out a .asp online form on an iPad? How can one 'edit' a .pdf proforma? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's probably a teenage peer thing and she'll say it must be iPad because her friends etc etc, but some Chinese Android makes are good quality and decent spec: try AliExpress for Teclast or Alldocube brands at about a third the price of Apple. I bought a 10.2" Alldocube iPlay 20, 6GB RAM, 128GB ROM, six months ago, does all I want it to - about 4800B.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

resale value means nothing if no one wants to buy it.

Many people want to buy it, which is why it has a high resale value.

If you buy a new one now and sell it 3 years later you probably still get 50% of what you paid for.

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

If there are resale values; then point the OP to a reliable reseller.

You can find them in any Big C etc. but I would pay the little bit extra to get a new one.

• Like 1

not sure, but i think ipad lowered their prices to compete with their competitors. 

also, you can try to look for a refurbished one. or a used/older model. will be much cheaper. 

Edited by covidiot
  • Like 1

Samsung or Lenovo probably best choice but an amazon fire 10 might be an option also, it’s only 4000bht and from reviews I have watched seems pretty good. I’m thinking of getting the wife one as replacement for her old iPad as she only uses it for watching Thai tv catch up or looking at Facebook.

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

resale value means nothing if no one wants to buy it. If there are resale values; then point the OP to a reliable reseller. He wants a second hand one if possible.

Yes, he's been snookered.

Just the added observation that Apple does take with trade-in value.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

What kind of nonsense..... nice money making scheme for Apple: https://www.utcc.ac.th/appledistinguishschool/

Interesting article but I have a couple of university students that i tutor and both of them had to get an ipad because most of the course material and apps tha the university uses is on apple only.

Apple has many programs that are apple only for instance clubhouse the new ipod system is on apple only.

Not saying right or wrong but I think that the OP might want to look into it before he buys her and android and finds out that she can not get the information that she needs on it and has to buy an IPAD eventually.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

Safe yourself the headaches and just buy her the Ipad, or you will be blamed for any problem that she might experience, even if it's her own fault and has nothing to do with the device.

If you factor in the resale value, and if she takes good care of it, it's also actually not much more expensive than an Android tablet.

I would think it would save a lot of heartache if the OP bought an iPad - lets be honest, she doesn’t want to take notes, she can use a nice paper notepad for that, Thats hipster.

Rightly or wrongly, it’s may be peer pressure, speak to the kid to see what her real feeling is - I have a few iPads, and they are great for just doing what they are supposed to do, I had an android pad and it just didn’t perform, was glitchy and embarrassing during meetings. I am not sure if that’s the case for the higher end Samsung, but I was shocked at the price of those models.

This is a bit sappy, my folks back home use apple products, along with my wife and sister, I’m glad that we can easily just use one app, FaceTime to communicate and be contactable at any time without having to chance different apps. It’s quite reassuring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

maybe the Lectures are Delivered via FaceTime?? whereas Zoom and Line conferences are probably too complicated for their Masters Degrees to fathom... 

Not sure but as I stated have university students that have to have and ipad.  One I know for sure is not doing it because she wants to she hates APPLE

• Like 2

I have an Ipod 160Gb, iTouch 4 64Gb, iPhone 7, iPod Nano & iPad 3 (both passed down to others, the iPad works but not really usable now), iPhone 11. One iPod Nano failed after going through the washing machine, all the others are still working. You pay more and you have to accept the Apple IOS environment but they do last. Saying all that I have had Samsung tablets, because the country restrictions for banking apps, Android is not as strict as IOS, and some IPTV apps only work on Android. My first Samsung tablet failed after about 4 years, lots of travelling with that. I have also had several Samsung phones before I switched, including the original Samsung Omnia which ran Windows CE with a resistive touch screen, a real pain. It died after I suffered 4 years with it, still in a box under the stairs. One day it may be worth something as Samsung's first attempt.

If you want to buy an iPad then buy it on the Apple Thailand website where you can get a student discount. I recently bought an iPad Air and saved around THB1600 on the $19900 normal price. You don't need to provide any proof of being a student, just need to follow the correct website link to get this discount. For any accessories needed like pencil, keyboard, etc. just buy generic versions (not Apple products) from Shopee at a fraction of the price. They work fine.

Granddaughter is adamant that some programmes from her university (Mae Fah Luang) will work only on IPad and she needs a writing facility to reply to the teacher. I think I am stuck.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Almer said:

I have an ipad 9 years old and still fine

Likewise, I've been using my iPad mini 4 since 2016 without issues, but did have the first gen ipad mini before, that started getting issues as apps and websites needed more resources and the ram was too small.

Apple's iOS is more restrictive than Android, but it's more secure and reliable, but it has lower specs and is more experience than Android devices. I use an Android phone, as it's cheaper and I only care about picture quality / storage really. It's not always a clear-cut decision between the two.

I would avoid buying anything from Aliexpress (China), as suggested above because lack of warranty and support, and its easy to get garbage (not all is garbage).

If she want's an iPad, then get what she wants (if you can afford it). There are accessories like keyboard and pen that would be useful for Uni students.

1 hour ago, northsouthdevide said:

Tablets running on the android Op. System are as good, if not better than the apple ipad, and much cheaper.

Samsung and Huawei are two good brands, but there are lots more.

Apple restricts you to products on appstore, but with android, you have a lot more freedom, and access to free content and apps.

The only potential downside with android is if other contacts have apple, then you can't video call with facetime, but there are many apps such as WhatsApp, and line that enables

android /apple video calling.

You purchase Chinese goods like Huawei keep feeding the China Beast for gawd sakes make sure you buy that MG car too Hussein is Spyware 

Edited by Ireland32
  • Haha 2