Alternative to IPad

Maybole

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Seems the OP may be the subject of brand manipulation.

I would ckeck what these programs etc are that supposedly MUST have an apple and verify it.

If its true, you got nowhere to go really. If its not, then I too suggest you look at Samsung S7, I have the previous S6 and its an excellent tool, has the pen etc she needs and a whole lot more.

I would suggest if used extensively an LTE tablet would be better. There are cheap 10mbps, one year prepaid data sims with plenty of gigabytes. The Apple LTE tablets are way more expensive than the wifi versions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

There are ipads which are way more than 1K USD. At least in Thailand.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/phone-and-tablet/tablets/ipad?orderBy=price__DESC__5

For the IT people I know it would be an insult to them to suggest they use Apple products. Apple has a closed ecosystem, anyone who cares really about security would use OSS operating system on a laptop or PC.

Well, in the real world the newest of the newest Ipad in its base configuration is 1058 USD. It goes up to 1631 because that's for the 1TB model. So Apple is basically charging you 580 USD for 870 GB of memory (the only real difference between base Ipad and ITB Ipad). In the real world again a 1TB hard drive is now 84 USD. So classic Apple eye gouging vor nothing. The latest Ipad is not even better than the one year older S7 Plus, which has an OLED screen and even in the base model can be fitted with a micro SD card that makes it memory greater than the Ipad.

And that's before you consider that the S7 Plus has 45 w fast charging, the Ipad only 35, the S7 Plus has a real OLED screen with infinite contrast ratio, the Ipad has LC only, the Ipad has no micro SD slot, you have to use the C connector to increase capacity, very inconvenient.

Just because Apple overprice their stuff does not mean it is better. It is not. Samsung now makes the best tablet. Especially in the budget range the A7 10.9 is probably unbeatable. But also in the high end the S7 + is better than the latest Ipad.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, tifino said:

yeah go Android ???? 

from experience with iPads...   the built in speaker system will fail... just a matter of 'when?'   and it happens to all models without prejudice - all one has left is the earphone...  

how can one fill out a .asp online form on an iPad? How can one 'edit' a .pdf proforma? 

No such issue on any of my iPads, starting with iPad 2 all the way up to 2019 iPad Pro. One iPad Mini had some lines on the screen which Apple center replaced (at Amarin Plaza), but other than that - excluding batteries which die on everything after a while - none of them had any such issues.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Logosone said:

And that's before you consider that the S7 Plus has 45 w fast charging, the Ipad only 35, the S7 Plus has a real OLED screen with infinite contrast ratio, the Ipad has LC only, the Ipad has no micro SD slot, you have to use the C connector to increase capacity, very inconvenient.

Just because Apple overprice their stuff does not mean it is better. It is not. Samsung now makes the best tablet. Especially in the budget range the A7 10.9 is probably unbeatable. But also in the high end the S7 + is better than the latest Ipad.

Ok, the S7 has the better specs. But that's irrelevant here, because the granddaughter wants an Ipad.

I guess you don't have much experience with women/girls, especially Thai, so you don't understand it.

She will never be happy with anything else but an Ipad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Ok, the S7 has the better specs. But that's irrelevant here, because the granddaughter wants an Ipad.

I guess you don't have much experience with women/girls, especially Thai, so you don't understand it.

No it's not. Because she can easily run Ipad apps on an Android tablet using an iOs emulator. On a very expensive tablet if that's needed. But it's not what's needed. The OP does not want to pay for an expensive tablet.

And he doesn't have to. She can run Ipad apps on Android.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

Plus the camera has more MP.

Humm   More pixels I 1 but much worse in the others 13MP + 5MP + 8MP VS 12MP + 10MP + 12MP + LIDAR along with significantly less good image processing SW

along with a screen that is only 87% of the iPad and a fixed refresh rate vs the adaptive refresh that can display movies in the native 48Hz while using the high 120Hz rate when it’s useful. 
with a data import that is 4 times greater than the S7+

however you are stuck with the less good tablet and just because Apple has produced a product that exposes that, you will never admit it. Also being fixed in the android world will not switch. This isn’t surprising as switching OSs isn’t easy due to the SW and accustomed usage.

I had an android phone for a couple of months and it was a painful experience. Whereas the iPhone took a couple of days for me to be completely comfortable. 

Oh the information I’ve seen is that the S7+ ships with a 15W charger compared to the 20W that ships with the iPad Pro 

On 6/1/2021 at 3:43 AM, Nanaplaza666 said:

Grand daughter says she needs an "IPad" that she can write on for her university course.

Maybe consider giving her a pen and paper .

The Samsung S7-5-6s all come with stylus,one other problem with Apple products is that you have to pay through the nose for any extras.Ipad mini or up to the 12 inch pro with 8gb memory and 1tb storage keyboard case and stylus plus headphones? The price will bring you out in hives.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Humm   More pixels I 1 but much worse in the others 13MP + 5MP + 8MP VS 12MP + 10MP + 12MP + LIDAR along with significantly less good image processing SW

along with a screen that is only 87% of the iPad and a fixed refresh rate vs the adaptive refresh that can display movies in the native 48Hz while using the high 120Hz rate when it’s useful. 
with a data import that is 4 times greater than the S7+

however you are stuck with the less good tablet and just because Apple has produced a product that exposes that, you will never admit it. Also being fixed in the android world will not switch. This isn’t surprising as switching OSs isn’t easy due to the SW and accustomed usage.

I had an android phone for a couple of months and it was a painful experience. Whereas the iPhone took a couple of days for me to be completely comfortable. 

Oh the information I’ve seen is that the S7+ ships with a 15W charger compared to the 20W that ships with the iPad Pro 

Dude, the very best and latest Ipad only has an LCD screen. The Tab S7 Plus has an AMOLED screen. Infinite contrast ratios. The Ipad screen is not bad, but the Tab S7 Plus' is better.

If you want to increase storage with the Ipad you have to use cumbersome tricks. No micro SD slot.

The much vaunted M1 chip in the Ipad can not even be used to full capacity because iOS limits app use to 5GB. Very poor.

Yes, okay it's 12.9 instead of 12.4 inches, but that's because it just came out, the next Tab will be larger for sure.  But Apple did the right thing there, no doubt.

I would hate adaptive refresh rate. I much prefer to choose it myself when I want a certain refresh rate, the Tab S7 allows that.

I actually own both iOS and Android devices. I find my Samsung phone FAR and away better than the Iphone I have. Using it is one of the joys of my day, same with the tablet which I use every day.

As for fast charging, the Tab S7 supports 45 W fast charging, the latest Ipad pro M1 36 W. So the Tab S7 also charges faster.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree Apple products are expensive.     The company does however make a good product and stands behind it.

I once read a review where the author pointed out that Apple does not seek out customers who have price as their biggest concern.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The 1 terabyte M1 iPad has 16Gb  integrated memory 

Which you can't use because iOS limits app use to 5GB ????

"...it turns out the that the iPad’s operating system only allows an app to use a maximum of ~5 GB of RAM on either the 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM iPad Pro. If an app uses more than that, it is immediately force-quit and evicted from memory by the system’s jetsam process.

This means a single pro app is unable to use all of the M1 chip’s resources. The additional RAM found in the 1 TB and 2 TB models will mean that more apps at a time can stay alive in memory for multitasking purposes, but an individual application will behave the same as if it was running on the base model iPad Pro."

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/28/ipad-pro-ram-limits/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Logosone said:

"...it turns out the that the iPad’s operating system only allows an app to use a maximum of ~5 GB of RAM on either the 8 GB RAM or 16 GB RAM iPad Pro. If an app uses more than that, it is immediately force-quit and evicted from memory by the system’s jetsam process.

This means a single pro app is unable to use all of the M1 chip’s resources. The additional RAM found in the 1 TB and 2 TB models will mean that more apps at a time can stay alive in memory for multitasking purposes, but an individual application will behave the same as if it was running on the base model iPad Pro."

That is of no importance as developers already know that. You do know of OS updates, don’t you?

Since 6Gb was the maximum available until the M1 shipped and Apple development is far more streamlined than Android it’s unlikely that any app would have any need to come particularly close to the current limit. You can be sure that the 5Gb limit will be gone soon, there was no point before as no device had as much as is available now. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is of no importance as developers already know that. You do know of OS updates, don’t you?

Since 6Gb was the maximum available until the M1 shipped and Apple development is far more streamlined than Android it’s unlikely that any app would have any need to come particularly close to the current limit. You can be sure that the 5Gb limit will be gone soon, there was no point before as no device had as much as is available now. 

It's of no importance if Apple sells a tablet for over 2000 USD which supposedly has 16 GB of RAM, but the iOS restricts use to 5 GB per app? I beg to differ. What's the point of paying that money if you get performance of a lower end Android in terms of RAM? 

People have the hope that the software will fix this issue, but that's by no means guaranteed. The fix is not out yet. It's a bit pointless of Apple including an M1 chip, only to find the user can not get full performance from it. Very poor.

But that's Apple all over, overpriced, overhyped and now second rate. No AMOLED screen, no micro SD slot, heavily censored eco-system and not as fast charging as the Samsung tablet. M1 chip not fully useable and apps limited to 5GB. 

If you want to have big Mama watching over you, pay your 840 USD for 1TB of RAM if you want, by all means, but don't kid yourself that Apple does not censor like a maniac. Here's a history of Apple censorhip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Apple

They've censored everything, books, songs, podcasts, apps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's of no importance if Apple sells a tablet for over 2000 USD which supposedly has 16 GB of RAM, but the iOS restricts use to 5 GB per app? I beg to differ. What's the point of paying that money if you get performance of a lower end Android in terms of RAM? 

Since there are currently no apps that use the RAM of course it doesn’t matter. 

FWIW even the iPad Air 4 smokes the Samsung with about 50 % higher  B792B7BE-D884-4D07-B265-07A8CFA7785F.jpeg.d43cf42160ecb13a4519f665f3949fa3.jpeg6CB2930B-4265-4292-8384-025DAC5409FA.jpeg.2a56a0c7d00bc8050e30428afbb78659.jpegperformance. 
there are currently not enough reports for the M1 to be on the charts but the reports are that it smokes the Air 4

18 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Since there are currently no apps that use the RAM of course it doesn’t matter. 

So you're saying paying 2000 USD for 16 GB RAM is actually pointless? Okay, glad that's sorted.

Of course there are no apps that use more than 5GB - BECAUSE THEY CAN'T USE IT. The Apple iOS doesn't let them. However, the developers of Procreate wanted to use it. They can't. So you in the apple eco system will get a worse app from Procreate because the Apple iOS currently does not allow apps to use more than 5GB. Does that matter? Not to me, I have a Samsung tablet. You know the better one.

Basically what you're saying is that you'll be able to buy a 2000 plus USD 16 GB tablet, but sorry, chap, no apps that actually make use of those specs. Oh well, maybe in a few years. But I just paid 2000 USD? Okay, enjoy using multiple apps at the same time. But I can do that on Samsung? Well, buy a Samsung tablet then, we only produce the best at Apple ???? - You mean like 16 GB RAM tablets for which there are no apps that actually use the 16 GB RAM. Gotcha.

FWIW even the iPad Air 4 smokes the Samsung with about 50 % higher 

Faint smile, here, whatever Geekbench score you come up with, the fact is that the Samsung Tab series ACROSS THE BOARD has incredibly smooth and fast app use, no hang ups, no lags.  Having a Geekbench score of a Zillion doesn't actually add anything. Sure, the M1 is a fast chip, but the latest Snapdragon is plenty fast enough, nobody would actually notice the difference in day to day use. I reguarly have 20 apps open, I never close apps or browser tabs. The Samsung just keeps going silky smooth and no lags. So please, you can have a 20 core thread chip in the Ipad, it doesn't actually make it any better.

Not having an AMOLED screen, however, makes it worse. And not having a micro SD card slot makes the Ipad worse as well.

Edited by Logosone

5 hours ago, gearbox said:

Any actual expert..are you talking about graphic designers?

The kid needs this only for some writing apps..any reasonably sized tablet would do.

I would buy for her lower end LTE Samsung plus one of these 1 year data sim cards from AIS with 100gb per month.

No. In this context, an expert would be anyone smart enough to realise that a Samsung tablet with roughly the same size screen (10.2-inch) and resolution (2160x1620) as an iPad is roughly the same 10K price as an iPad, but with a far weaker CPU, a less efficient operating system, and a worse eco-system of apps.

The OP is guessing that his grand-daughter will only need her iPad "that she can write on for her university course". He might not understand that all Thai universities are now grappling with how to conduct lessons remotely, track course work, streamline communication between classmates etc.

Universities that require iPads do so because they are using complex software that Apple provides, for free, that allows them to do all that. This is not some sort of exotic, cutting-edge idea. This is how universities operate now.

As so often happens when a guy tries to save a few bob, in consulting the masterminds on this forum, the OP is going to end up wasting money. He will buy a non-refundable piece of glass and metal that won't be compatible with the university's system and will break his granddaughter's heart.

If he feels his granddaughter is lying, he should at least phone the university to ask if the tablets they require need to be a certain type.

If it was me, I would actually buy her an iPad Air, just so that she knows that she has the love, support, and belief of her family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Poet said:

No. In this context, an expert would be anyone smart enough to realise that a Samsung tablet with roughly the same size screen (10.2-inch) and resolution (2160x1620) as an iPad is roughly the same 10K price as an iPad, but with a far weaker CPU, a less efficient operating system, and a worse eco-system of apps.

The OP is guessing that his grand-daughter will only need her iPad "that she can write on for her university course". He might not understand that all Thai universities are now grappling with how to conduct lessons remotely, track course work, streamline communication between classmates etc.

Universities that require iPads do so because they are using complex software that Apple provides, for free, that allows them to do all that. This is not some sort of exotic, cutting-edge idea. This is how universities operate now.

As so often happens when a guy tries to save a few bob, in consulting the masterminds on this forum, the OP is going to end up wasting money. He will buy a non-refundable piece of glass and metal that won't be compatible with the university's system and will break his granddaughter's heart.

If he feels his granddaughter is lying, he should at least phone the university to ask if the tablets they require need to be a certain type.

If it was me, I would actually buy her an iPad Air, just so that she knows that she has the love, support, and belief of her family.

Lol, the CPU of Samsung tablets is NOT "far weaker". It's perfectly fast, fast enough for 20 apps to be open, yet silky smooth operation, and the graphcis are superb, the Samsung tablet does 4K. On an Amoled screen which the Ipad does not have. From an SD card slot which the Ipad does not have.

As for the Ipad operating system, it's so "efficient" it can't even use all the RAM the tablet offers, as they limit use to 5GB. A "worse eco-system of apps"? In your dreams. Every major app is in the Google store.

And again, if she were to have to run iOS apps, she can do that on an Android tablet. It's called an emulator.

My daughter will never get an Ipad, because if I bought her one I'd have failed her as a parent by buying an inferior tablet. With no AMOLED screen and no micro SD slot.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

No it's not. Because she can easily run Ipad apps on an Android tablet using an iOs emulator. On a very expensive tablet if that's needed. But it's not what's needed. The OP does not want to pay for an expensive tablet.

And he doesn't have to. She can run Ipad apps on Android.

A quick Google search shows that what you say is wrong.

And even if this were easily possible, the main argument is still valid: It's not an Ipad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Logosone said:

And again, if she were to have to run iOS apps, she can do that on an Android tablet. It's called an emulator.

What you are doing here is dishonest. The OP, under the impression that iOS and Android devices are roughly equivalent, has asked for advice.

Out of a personal antipathy for Apple products, you are deliberately stretching reality. You are suggesting that a young Thai girl is going to have the technical expertise to not only deal with Android's usual quirks and annoyances but, also, to run an emulator so that she can keep up with her classmates.

You have not mentioned that the only way to "emulate" iOS apps on Android is via the browser, using a PAID service that runs actual iOS devices in their datacenter. If cost is the OP's issue, this suggestion is deeply dishonest. It would be extraordinarly expensive solution over her next few years in university, and a horrible, humiliating experience for her.

You also play the bait n' switch game of suggesting that the cheaper Android devices that the OP is interested in will have the more advanced features, such as an OLED screen, when you know that those models cost far more than 10,200 baht.

Whether in politics or technology, it depresses me to see people become so tribal that they will debase themselves in this way.

Edited by Poet
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

This really is what it all boils down to.

I understand that the OP may not have much money. It sucks to be asked to pay for an expensive device, especially if you don't know that world well enough to understand just how much these things end up getting used and how long they last.

The granddaughter's university may or may not be one of the ones who do require iPads. All that matters, however, is that his family have asked him to provide an iPad. They will absolutely get the message if he conjures up something that is not an iPad.

They will not sympathize when he explains that "Logosone" and "gearbox" on the farang forum told him that the KeeNok 6000 is much better than an iPad, and that it conveniently fits into a far smaller pocket.

If 10,200 is truly an obstacle, it is worth noting that Apple allow you spread out the payments over ten months at 0% interest, so, that would be 1,020 baht per month. I would also be willing to make a small personal loan to the OP so that he can also buy her a case for it.

Edited by Poet
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Obviously your google searching abilities are on a par with your tablet buying savvy.

https://appauthority.com/run-apple-ios-apps-on-android-using-ios-emulators-1907/#:~:text=Thankfully%2C you can simply use,Install it by sideloading it.

Since you're an Ipad user, if you need any help using Google, let me know.

No longer maintained: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/IEmu

You need to put some time to understand what you are actually posting.

Referencing emulators which aren't maintained since quite a while is about as helpful as quoting tech specs to convince a person who wants an Apple to use an Android device.

Your assumption is by the way wrong, I don't have an Ipad and would never buy one. But other than you I can understand OPs situation and recommend a device which suits his needs even if I personally wouldn't buy it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Can you stop lying through your teeth please? Talk about dishonest. Not once have I suggested that "KeeNok 6000 is much better than iPad. I have suggested that the Tab S7 Plus is better than any Ipad, which is a fact.

Again, you are deliberating trying to confuse the OP.

You might argue that "the Tab S7 Plus is better than any Ipad", I wouldn't agree, but neither of our opinions on a 27,900 baht product are in any way relevant to the OP's actual problem.

1146036739_ScreenShot2021-06-02at4_23_13PM.png.36b09b1e0d27f9e98a253c9881d7cabe.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

So you have a listing for the 2019 Tab S4 which is almost the same price as the Tab S7 Plus from 2020. Great job. Lol.

And I don't "argue" that the Tab S7 Plus is better than any Ipad. It is a fact. The Tab S7 Plus has an AMOLED screen, which the Ipad does not have. The Tab S7 Plus has a micro SD card slot for memory expansion, which the Ipads do not have. And it has a very fast, reliable and powerful chip which allows 4K graphics on an AMOLED screen, which is glorious btw.

It is actually quite relevant. In a previous post you suggest the OP should buy an expensive Ipad, however, if he were so inclined, he may as well spring top dollar for a better Samsung tablet.

If he prefers to buy a cheaper tablet then Samsung is also the better option, the Samsung A7 10.9 is very good, and the Tab S4 is superb.

Can you use a stylus on the S4? I was looking at the S5e but it doesn't support a stylus.The o p wrote that she wants to write on the iPad,I realise that it's not obvious what she means by that but I take it to be with a stylus.

5 minutes ago, adammike said:

Can you use a stylus on the S4? I was looking at the S5e but it doesn't support a stylus.The o p wrote that she wants to write on the iPad,I realise that it's not obvious what she means by that but I take it to be with a stylus.

Yes you can. It's a delight to use it on the S4. And you're right not all tablets from Samsung support it, but the S4 does. And it's a steal second hand. 

5 minutes ago, josthomz said:

An AMOLED is a better screen? Obviously, there's no doubt to it. 

Will an AMOLED make a difference to a university student who needs the iPad for online classes and maybe writing some documents? Not at all. 

The same way the AMOLED will not make a bit of a difference to a whole lot of tablet users, except those who do things related to graphics. And for the majority of the people the immensely superior advantages of the OS (iOS) vs Android are enough to chose the iPad.... 

Also you are not realizing that many Thais universities use Apple only software (I know from first hand experience). In which case buying a Samsung tablet won't help at all, will it? 

And I am quite confident this is what's going in here.

Yes AMOLED is the better screen and there is absolutely no doubt abut it.

It will certainly make a difference to the student, because she will have a marvellous display. Maybe she studies architecture, so graphics could be important. Often teachers now like to use videos. But sure it's not a requirement. If it isn't, then the better option is still a Samsung, because they're cheaper by far than an Ipad. Check out the price of an A7 10.9 compared to an ipad.

And if you buy used, then forget about it, just get a great AMOLED Samsung tablet. No need to buy an Ipad at all.

Immensely superior advantages of the iOS vs Android? I take that's a joke? The latest Android operating systems are very user friendly and slick. What advantages would those be? The fact that iOS limits apps to 5GB?

Even if the girl has to use Apple apps, again there are emulators she can use, it's not necessary to buy an Ipad.

16 hours ago, Logosone said:

Well they don't need to. Get an Android tablet and upload an iOs emulator. Easy peasy.

This is correct, I just checked out some iOS emulators on my phone and my wife's tablet and all of the iOS apps worked perfectly. 

I showed my nephew and he's quite gutted as he worked many long hours in the evenings and on weekends to pay for his iPad.

• Haha 2