Alternative to IPad

Maybole

This topic can now be closed.

Grand daughter, clever girl, aware that Grandpa was querying the necessity for an IPad, contacted her university IT dept. and was informed that the university was using software for its   on line instruction programme which had bee obtained from Apple. Therefore it could not be guaranteed to work fully on a non-Apple tablet and a proper IPad was highly recommended. Furthermore, Grandma (she who must be obeyed) pointed out that  grand niece, a second cousin, already had an IPad (supplied by an uncle) and No Way could grand daughter be palmed off with anything inferior. It had to be an IPad of equal value or better.

Grand daughter, who says very little, ( but was totally aware of Grandpa's objections) quietly and without prompting, went on line and secured an updated version of her cousin's device minus some of the accessories,  (which she herself says are overpriced and can be bought on line for a fraction of Apple's price ) with a student discount and a monthly payment scheme. Also she has ensured that the payments will come from her account with Grandpa topping up monthly, thus ensuring a future credit history.

Background, Grand daughter's parents' business has been badly affected by Covid 19 and Pensioner Grandpa has had to take over the funding of education for TWO grandchildren.

• Thanks 2

On 6/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I recently bought my 9 yr old a Samsung Ipad, think it was like 13,000thb and she can draw on it. Apple requires a special pen

If you know how to do it, you can draw on Apple's IPad without a pen.      

I was unaware Samsung also makes the IPad.     Competition is always good, IMHO.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, Maybole said:

Grand daughter, clever girl, aware that Grandpa was querying the necessity for an IPad, contacted her university IT dept. and was informed that the university was using software for its   on line instruction programme which had bee obtained from Apple. Therefore it could not be guaranteed to work fully on a non-Apple tablet and a proper IPad was highly recommended.

I’m happy to see that Grand daughter is clearly smart enough to research, find out the actual requirements and select the best cost effective option for herself.

The one point that you haven’t covered is AppleCare. For an iPad that will be carried around all the time it’s an option that isn’t really expensive as it covers 2 accidental damage events that aren’t covered by any other insurance that I know of. She still has time to get it without visiting one of the Apple stores. It can be bought within 30 or possibly 60 days online and up to 1 year by visiting an Apple store

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 8:25 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Since there are currently no apps that use the RAM of course it doesn’t matter. 

FWIW even the iPad Air 4 smokes the Samsung with about 50 % higher  B792B7BE-D884-4D07-B265-07A8CFA7785F.jpeg.d43cf42160ecb13a4519f665f3949fa3.jpeg6CB2930B-4265-4292-8384-025DAC5409FA.jpeg.2a56a0c7d00bc8050e30428afbb78659.jpegperformance. 
there are currently not enough reports for the M1 to be on the charts but the reports are that it smokes the Air 4

Since the OPs granddaughter has her choice and my M1 iPad is here;

a little update on speed against the supposed better galaxy S7+, the single core M1 is 1.8 times faster the multi core is 2.5 times faster, since @Logosone doesn’t like Geekbench benchmarks my speedometer 2.0 benchmark from browserbench.org/Speedometer2.0/ is 190 in safari and 191 in Chrome, I don’t have a galaxy device so can’t comment on its speed but guess it will be slower, I will be happy to be proved incorrect.

I usually have the screen set at around ¼ to ½ and that’s plenty indoors, I usually have 40 to 100 apps open and never bother to close any except for benchmarks.

The limit of 5GB on apps is now gone if the app wants more.

So the Galaxy S7+ may have a screen that is said to be better than my mini LED one, there are other opinions on that, it may be fast enough for @Logosone it isn’t as fast as the M1 iPad, it may be bright enough for @Logosone it isn’t as bright as the M1 iPad around ⅔ to to ¼. My guess is that it isn’t as fast for browsing but don’t have numbers for that. I also think that the sound quality is less than the iPad and volume is lower but again don’t have numbers just having watched reviews that seems to be the general opinion and evidence.

So slower, dimmer, quieter and without variable refresh.

Bottom line, do not believe that any one person has the definitive answers and do your own research. 
If you like android the S7+ may be the tablet for you, if you like Apple an iPad, iPad Air or Pro is for you.

There will always be a faster, better, newer, (often cheaper) model coming, so buy now for your current use, as the OPs granddaughter did, and enjoy your new toy.