Foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 can now stay until end of September

snoop1130

There is no harm done with this extension. I imagine there are not so many who have the where-with-all to have stayed here for so long and having to live with restrictions that prevents the freedom as tourists they would normally have.

• Like 1

The only time I ever really got stranded anywhere was in 1994... in a bar in Phnom Penh while there was gunfighting going on outside.

On the other hand, while I haven't seen my family back in the old country in almost two years, I don't feel "stranded" in Thailand at all.

• Like 1

If they just came up with removing the 90days report and give retirees or people married to Thais, a straight 5 year visa. This would be a good change to start with.

Who's still "stranded" now is the one who doesn't want to go back or can't get another type of visa.

They don't have a job or live to go back too?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Don't want a connecting flight I want a direct one.right.

oh you only want a connecting flight. ok. what if you die of covid on the plane.  oh my.  things are so rough for you parading around thailand for a year. and now consequences of that decision come up upon you and u whine.  hope u get someone to listen your embassy dont give squat about you.   figure it out.  if u offer thais some cash they will vaccinate you.  but oh i forgot u dont want to pay. do you want your embassy to give u free direct flight home too?

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Don't want a connecting flight I want a direct one.right.

So you agree there are flights then even if it is one you choose not to take.

Tell me again how you are stranded ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Raf, you are probably right but it isn't you he has to convince but it is Immigration. If he is successful then lets say good luck to him.

Many people "work the system"

Edited by ChrisKC
added comment
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I only stay here 6 months a year, I've been here since January, done the quarentine, I don't want to take 3 covid tests and quarantine in England for 10 days , if you travel through a red zone country its in a hotel, not doing that again, so that's why I'm staying here for the time being, il call it stranded, up to you boys how you construe it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

In the past they always tried to push people towards long term extensions or visas, rather than the misuse of tourist 'visas', when in fact they were not tourists. Thais struggle with the concept of people without jobs having money to spend and live in Thailand. 

I am unsure if they cost Thailand nothing or something, but why don't they get the correct type of Visa? 

Because these are exceptional times and by spending they can’t cost Thailand anything 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Seems like the government is enabling those who game the system. 

gaming the sys is a normal thai way of life ... my first visa from usa the thai imm told me how to game the sys

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent.... 

But why oh why couldn’t Immigration have made this simple decision 12 months ago and removed a significant degree of hassle and stress.

I am not sure what you mean. They have been doing this every 2 months for a long time now. What simple decision was it that they should have made months ago?

There are only a few people who are actually stranded. Australians for example find it difficult to return home. For the UK it is very easy. I have a retirement extension and am married. I will get a re entry permit before I leave. I have a flight booked July 1st to October 12th with Finnair 21,450 return. All I need is a negative Covid test within 72 hours of my flight. Within 48 hours of my flight completed the UK passenger locator form and book and pay for online 2 Covid tests to complete on days 2 and 8 of home quaranrine. The price has reduced recently. Before I return I only need $100k Covid insurance and a COE. Easy

7 minutes ago, jimn said:

There are only a few people who are actually stranded. Australians for example find it difficult to return home. For the UK it is very easy. I have a retirement extension and am married. I will get a re entry permit before I leave. I have a flight booked July 1st to October 12th with Finnair 21,450 return. All I need is a negative Covid test within 72 hours of my flight. Within 48 hours of my flight completed the UK passenger locator form and book and pay for online 2 Covid tests to complete on days 2 and 8 of home quaranrine. The price has reduced recently. Before I return I only need $100k Covid insurance and a COE. Easy

If you say it quick it's easy, have you entered Thailand on a COE before, far from easy.

I wonder how "stranded tourists" from the US are gaming the system in order to remain?  Or for that matter, any other country where there are flights to and from the countries.

Thailand should have a "stranded influencer" visa where astute young people under 50 who are stranded are allowed to stay indefinitely as long as they maintain a positive social media account where they say wonderful things about their hosts and host country.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, itsari said:

I personally think the people trapped due to the pandemic that were outside of Thailand was unjust . But to use that as a argument to say people being allowed to stay 60 days is wrong is also unjust

Well look at the big picture if all the "stranded / accidental " tourists were gone the economy would need those holding  a legit, long term visas to get help getting back.

8 hours ago, nausea said:

Compare and contrast with Vietnam - never mind the short term guys, they're even kicking out their long term expats, those who've been staying on extended tourist/faux business visas (Vietnam has no retirement visa, so Hobson's choice for retirees). Two weeks to sort out your affairs and out you go; a bit harsh, methinks, especially for those wiith limited funds or heavy committments. Yeah, I know, they're just strictly enforcing immigration laws that've been laxly applied; still, crappy timing, given the covid restrictions on travel.

Guess some of those guys need to make a commitment to the girlfriend and finally marry then apply for permanent residency which seems to be an option unlike Thailand where those of us married to Thais are nothing but temporary stay tourists.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mackayae said:

Maybe this is a money maker, 1900 baht every 60 days. Plus they are here spending, so it is better than nothing in the absence of tourists.

Nail on the Head there Mate....SOMETHING will always be better than NOTHING !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 10baht said:

Well look at the big picture if all the "stranded / accidental " tourists were gone the economy would need those holding  a legit, long term visas to get help getting back.

Personally I believe they need who ever it is to spend money in Thailand hence the availability of the 60 day extensions . Do you think the Thai government and Thai Immigration are that gullible ?