Breaker Tripping

carlyai

Just wired up the cct. enclosed for a couple of outside pumps. One a 300 W bore pump and 1 a 150 W yard pump. They were all working but with no RCD and relays.

The RCB's are a brand I can't find any literature on: 15A Model NT-5OLE with a 30mA trip.

I don't think the breaker should be tripping on a 300 W or 150W pump, but as soon as I switch on a pump the breaker trips. Without the breaker the pump works normally.

Maybe I've wired something?

20210531_181429.jpg

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Which unit is your RCD?

I see a worrying N-N link across the breaker on the left!

EDIT Looks like you've commoned all the pump neutrals. That won't work. Each pump live through the RCD must be matched by the respective N going back the other way.

Yes yes yes. Thanks very much.

9 hours ago, carlyai said:

Will I have to take the neutral thru the springset as well, or can I take it from the relay coil 7 straight to the terminal block?

No problem taking each pump N off pin 7 of the relevant relay to the terminal block.

What do the relays actually do?

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No problem taking each pump N off pin 7 of the relevant relay to the terminal block.

What do the relays actually do?

Hi, well they are supposed to act like a contactor.

Maybe another wiring failure?

What are you actually trying to achieve? Wired as they are they operate as soon as the power is applied so they don't really do much.

A contactor is usually used to switch a large load (big motor etc.) with a low power circuit (small switch).

If they were timers I could understand, acting as a turn on delay.

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

What are you actually trying to achieve? Wired as they are they operate as soon as the power is applied so they don't really do much.

A contactor is usually used to switch a large load (big motor etc.) with a low power circuit (small switch).

If they were timers I could understand, acting as a turn on delay.

Yes thanks.

When I was talking to you a while back about small aquaponics pumps (some submersible) you mentioned that I needed RCBs and relays. 

I just do what I'm told. ????

Maybe I became confused (still :)) because we were also talking about stainless steel float switches in water tanks and using 24v as well.

I can't see why to have the relays as well, but I obey. ????

Just now, carlyai said:

Maybe I became confused (still :)) because we were also talking about stainless steel float switches in water tanks and using 24v as well.

The relays would protect the baby float switches from the large pump current/voltage. No baby floats = no relays.

If you can get timers in the same form factor as the relays nothing is wasted and you could make it into a start delay box.

It would appear that now on TV it's my fault when something goes awry, just like it is in my actual job (always blame the consultant, even if you ignored his advice). 

• Haha 2

No not your fault, just my lack of knowledge and understanding. 

You only get missed when you're gone. Then people realise what they had.

Not wasted, learnt a few things plus got a box of relays to play with. ????

I'll leave now and have to get back to you about 'why I would need a small pump start delay baby floats'.

Thanks again. ????

You'd have to be one of the smartest people I've had the pleasure of knowing. ????

On 6/1/2021 at 8:29 AM, carlyai said:

I remember now from the pool contactor installation about 4 or 5 years ago. 

So rewired the cct. a bit so that the relays switch the pumps load from the MCB.

Wiring colour was on hand at the time.

20210606_095519.jpg