The Myth of the Thai Tones

Kinnock

On 6/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, JackGats said:

And if that were not complicated enough, you have to watch out for whether the syllable is "dead" or "alive". And if it's a dead syllable whether the vowel is short or long. It's a four to five-step algorithm. OK if you're solving a math problem, useless if you need to decide in a fraction of a second.

I think reading music is a better analogy. Musicians see the written music and, on each note press the right keys, apply the correct finger pressure or lip pressure/airstream for wind instruments. They adjust for key signature and rhythm. They interpret the many symbols and perform calculations, but only after years of study and practicing SYSTEMATICALLY. I never met an accomplished musician who said tones don't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I think what you describe is a different problem.  Often when we meet Thai people in restaurants, shops etc., they expect us to speak a foreign language, panic and lose all language comprehension.  

I sometimes have to say, in Thai, "I'm speaking Thai", then they re-tune and alls well.

To avoid this slightly embarrassing situation for both parties, I'll start any exchange with a polite Thai greeting so they expect to hear Thai, then 9 times out of 10 they understand my request.

Valid point. The waitress looked quite panic-stricken. The checkout girl was unfazed, perhaps she had more experience with a foreigner speaking Thai.

Or perhaps being old, ugly and big by Thai standards had something to do with it too.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:39 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

I'm sceptical on your theory.

So you are basically saying that we can pronounce every word in a mid/normal tone and 

Thais work out the tone and the meaning of the word used from the context of the sentence.

Sometimes you will be right, if there's a horse in a field and I say that maa (horse) has to go", then Thais can work out it is the horse I'm talking about.

But if there's a horse and a dog in a field (both 'maa' in Thai but different tones) and I say "that maa has to go", then Thais cannot work out if it is the horse or dog I'm talking about.

So to a point you are correct but there will be instances when the incorrect pronunciation will confuse the other person or make no sense to them.

It would therefore be better to learn and use tones and if you pronounce with the wrong tone unlucky but you'll probably learn from that mistake.

The example; Horse / Dog puts the whole subject into the correct perspective.

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:
9 hours ago, rwill said:

near and far are more a length of the vowel sound than a tonal difference.

Wrong. 

You are correct.  They are both short vowels.  My bad.

• Like 1

Yes of course context is the most reliable way to distinguish which meaning is intended. But tones exist for when there could be confusion, particularly when just saying a single word. Chinese is the same. Tones exist and are used, but with context added a word will anyway be understood with flat tone, and when speaking at speed a lot of inflexion is simply ignored. It doesn't mean that tone has no importance in certain circumstances. 

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling

I am from the England and I live on Samui....I can speak conversationally in French and German because I learned them at school and worked in Brussels for a while when I was 16....Six weeks summer holidays before "A levels"...

I even learned some Dutch as I was working in a printing factory in Woluwe  which is both Dutch and French speaking and we were printing posters for a super market called "Pris Bas" like the "Green Glo"  ones with red letters with promotional offers......They were printed in French and Dutch!

I have lived in Thailand for 15 years and speak enough Thai to "Get Around"....Nobody ever corrects me when I try to speak Thai (even though many times I have now realised I may be speaking Isan or Lao dialect......My GF is from Sakon Nakhon).

When I speak in Thai here they are always pleasantly surprised and give me Big Smiles!

I have learned enough Thai to get what I need....Beer, Sex and Food.....But not necessarily in that order....As Eric Morecambe once said.

Good luck with your Thai Language endeavours!

As regards the Ma, maa, etc., I never want or need a horse or a dog!

Take it easy Pal!

Happy Thumbs Up.jpg

Edited by Mario666

Very interesting.  After reading this I asked my Thai girlfriend to ready this post. As she was reading it, her smile got bigger and bigger until she started laughing.  I asked her about these tones and said is it true, that native Thai use the context of the sentence rather than the tones.  She said what he said in the post was true. She said the tones are there, but if you don't use them, it doesn't really matter, because the content of the sentence is more important to be able to understand. She said she laughed when the poster said the tones are a party trick Mai, Mai, Mai etc.  It's true sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

I seem to remember a Thai sentence or phrase that uses one word all the way through that makes no sense at all, until the correct tones and word lengths are used then it is understandable, this was used to show how important tones were, maybe someone can verify the phrase i refer too!

3 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I seem to remember a Thai sentence or phrase that uses one word all the way through that makes no sense at all, until the correct tones and word lengths are used then it is understandable, this was used to show how important tones were, maybe someone can verify the phrase i refer too!

That's just an annoying party trick to impress foreigners.  Change the word order and ask a Thai listener to correctly write down the words in the right order - and they will get half of them wrong.  I used some of these words in my original tests.

• Like 1

I suspect that in normal colloquial Thai speech when uttering a sentence, the tones are less clear and easy to hear correctly, compared to when the individual words making up that sentence are spoken separately.
Just like if you listen to colloquial Thai speech it doesn't sound like Linguaphone Thai or Thai as spoken by a news reader where every word is spoken clearly. In colloquial speech, for ease of speaking, the words are slurred somewhat as they run into each other.
Anyhow, here's a short experiment.
As mentioned before, the Thai sentence, New wood doesn't burn does it? ไม้ใหม่ไม่ไหม้ไหม contains all five tones.
Attached are the 5 sound files of the five words in this sentence spoken by a native speaker:
1.ไม้ 1.wood_ไม้.mp3
2.ใหม่2.new_ใหม่.mp3
3.ไม่3.not _ไม่.mp3
4.ไหม้4.burn_ไหม้.mp3
5.ไหม5.question_word_ไหม.mp3
Posters can play the files on their computer for a native Thai speaker to listen to. Make sure the file name is hidden, which may also be displayed in any audio software used to play the file. Also, don't play them in the order 1-5 or they might guess the sentence after the first few. Use a random order eg 3,1,2,5,4. Ask the listener what word they hear and report back the results and how many they get right. Also added are 6.come มา, 7.dog หมา and 8.horse ม้า.6.come_มา.mp37.dog.หมา.mp38.horse_ม้า.mp3

Edited by katana
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

khrai khai khaii kgai... who sells egg chicken? [by the sea shore] 

4 hours ago, katana said:

I suspect that in normal colloquial Thai speech when uttering a sentence, the tones are less clear and easy to hear correctly, compared to when the individual words making up that sentence are spoken separately.
Just like if you listen to colloquial Thai speech it doesn't sound like Linguaphone Thai or Thai as spoken by a news reader where every word is spoken clearly. In colloquial speech, for ease of speaking, the words are slurred somewhat as they run into each other.
As mentioned before, the Thai sentence, New wood doesn't burn does it? ไม้ใหม่ไม่ไหม้ไหม contains all five tones.
Attached are the 5 sound files of the five words in this sentence spoken by a native speaker:
1.ไม้ 1.wood_ไม้.mp3
2.ใหม่2.new_ใหม่.mp3
3.ไม่3.not _ไม่.mp3
4.ไหม้4.burn_ไหม้.mp3
Posters can play the files on their computer for a native Thai speaker to listen to. Make sure the file name is hidden, which may also be displayed in any audio software used to play the file. Also, don't play them in the order 1-5 or they might guess the sentence after the first few. Use a random order eg 3,1,2,5,4. Ask the listener what word they hear and report back the results and how many they get right. Also added are 6.come มา, 7.dog หมา and 8.horse ม้า.6.come_มา.mp37.dog.หมา.mp38.horse_ม้า.mp3

Thank you .... a useful additional test.

Just tried it on my wife and her friend:

Wood and New - correct.

Not, burn, question .... total failure.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, katana said:

Hi Kinnock. Interesting. What incorrect words did they hear for 3.Notไม่, 4.burnไหม้, 5.questionไหม?

Right three words - but not in the right order.  

Thanks. The reason I ask is that  3.not ไม่ and 4.burn ไหม้, although spelled differently, would sound the same (both short, falling tone) so could be confused with each other. That would explain the wrong order of 3.not ไม่ and 4.burn ไหม้.
Also, 5.ไหม (short, rising tone) has more than one meaning. In addition to question word, it can also mean silk, silkworm, fine and penalty. But if they didn't say any of those words, then I guess that rules that out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kinnock said:

That's just an annoying party trick to impress foreigners.  Change the word order and ask a Thai listener to correctly write down the words in the right order - and they will get half of them wrong.  I used some of these words in my original tests.

I used to wonder what Thai being an isolating language meant. 
  I read the first post and the party trick "my my my my" and wondered what was the tone of silk. I resolved that by saying to myself ผ้าไหม .(Pamy) 

Are we misunderstanding the Thai language when we expect to be able to recognize individual words in the same way that we are able to do in our own languages? 
When people say that normal Thais don't speak as we learners do could it be because they know better when and how to elucidate 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, katana said:

1.ไม้ 1.wood_ไม้.mp3
2.ใหม่2.new_ใหม่.mp3
3.ไม่3.not _ไม่.mp3
4.ไหม้4.burn_ไหม้.mp3

The sentence does not contain all five tones: 3 and 4 both have falling tones, and mid tone is missing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, katana said:

Hi Kinnock. Interesting. What incorrect words did they hear for 3.Notไม่, 4.burnไหม้, 5.questionไหม?

Bear in mind that 3 & 4 are homonyms. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, katana said:

Yes, I should have said all tones except normal tone.

Pedantry noted.

Not fair to call it pedantry. He spoke the truth and added to the discussion, correcting a false statement. 

I belong to a Facebook group called "Farang can learn Thai Language - รักภาษาไทย." If anyone is really interested in learning Thai, try it. This TV forum is the blind leading the blind. There's a lot of speculation from people who haven't a clue, totally cringeworthy. It's difficult to sort the rubbish from the gold. A big difference in the FB group is lots of participation by native Thai speakers. 

Edited by LawrenceN
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

I belong to a Facebook group called "Farang can learn Thai Language - รักภาษาไทย.

The Thai translation of the name doesn't even match the English. Hope it gets better from there.

• Haha 1