Benefits Of Quitting Smoking 20 Minutes To 15 Years

• 1 month later...

One of the biggest things that improves quickly is taste and sense of smell . Even when I smoked which I did and enjoyed only when drinking I couldn’t stand the smell of other peoples cigarettes. Few months ago I went to see an old neighbour in his home for a hour and he smoked 2 cigarettes while I was there. After leaving I had to go shower and change as I could smell the cigarettes so badly !

On another point , my grandfather smoked roll ups with no filter from age 14-83 and never had health issues related to smoking in his life. He was always active though doing gardens for people younger than himself so maybe fresh air done him good .

On 6/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, DavidH555 said:

16 years since I quit yesterday

When I was a teenager I smoked anything that burned like paper and old newspapers because I didn't have the money for cigarettes' I stopped over 25years now when my doctor took a x-ray of my lungs and gave me some bad news if I continued to smoke. I used that x-ray, kept it in my pocket and every time I wanted a smoke I looked at that x-ray and stopped.

16 years I don't know the day and date, but I do know it is 16 years around sometime February past.

Weight did go up but I am now lower than in my smoking days. I didn't cut down, I quit and vaping didn't exist in those days.

I made a conscious effort never to openly criticize people who do, as I know how tough it is. The medical evidence is there for all to see.

When I was a kid it was glamorized, in the movies, the Marlborough man, all the big sporting events, on the TV, even could smoke on planes, it is not like that anymore.

All the benefits somebody has already listed and if your family and personal health and wealth is not important, I don't know what is!

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, Samui Bodoh said:
The purely medical reasons (above) alone are enough, or at least should be.

Other reasons, if needed.

• You won't emit a disgusting odor everywhere you go.
  • You won't endanger family, friends and strangers.
  • You won't spend hours a day ensuring that you have your smokes and lighter with you.
  • You won't anger neighbours with the second hand smoke.
  • You'll enjoy food and drink more.
  • You won't have to hear people telling you how bad smoking is.
  • You'll save thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of Baht.
  • You won't have an ashen, pale, sickly looking visage.
  • You'll be able to live your life without worrying about a 'Monkey On Your Back'.
  • You won't cough up phlegm during intimate moments.
  • You'll be able to watch a long movie without having to leave halfway through to kill your cravings.
  • You'll live in a place that doesn't have smoke particles imbedded in the furniture.
  • You'll perform better in the sack.
  • You'll avoid those horrific 'Smoking Rooms' in airports.
  • You'll pull more chicks
  • You won't spend all your time wondering if you have enough smokes on you.
  • You 'll be able to climb stairs without gasping for breath.
  • You won't have 'yellow fingers' anymore.
  • You be able to spend money on fun stuff instead of addiction stuff.
  • You likely won't die hawking up sputum in a grimy hospital bed. 
Have I missed any?

It can be done; Good Luck!

I started when I was 13 and quit after the first (disgusting) experience the same day. And you missed the filthy discolouring of grey beards and moustaches.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, Samui Bodoh said:
The purely medical reasons (above) alone are enough, or at least should be.

Other reasons, if needed.

• You won't emit a disgusting odor everywhere you go.
  • You won't endanger family, friends and strangers.
  • You won't spend hours a day ensuring that you have your smokes and lighter with you.
  • You won't anger neighbours with the second hand smoke.
  • You'll enjoy food and drink more.
  • You won't have to hear people telling you how bad smoking is.
  • You'll save thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of Baht.
  • You won't have an ashen, pale, sickly looking visage.
  • You'll be able to live your life without worrying about a 'Monkey On Your Back'.
  • You won't cough up phlegm during intimate moments.
  • You'll be able to watch a long movie without having to leave halfway through to kill your cravings.
  • You'll live in a place that doesn't have smoke particles imbedded in the furniture.
  • You'll perform better in the sack.
  • You'll avoid those horrific 'Smoking Rooms' in airports.
  • You'll pull more chicks
  • You won't spend all your time wondering if you have enough smokes on you.
  • You 'll be able to climb stairs without gasping for breath.
  • You won't have 'yellow fingers' anymore.
  • You be able to spend money on fun stuff instead of addiction stuff.
  • You likely won't die hawking up sputum in a grimy hospital bed. 
Have I missed any?

It can be done; Good Luck!

I certainly cannot disagree with many of your points highlighting the negative effects of smoking as I was on and off a smoker. But I never had difficulty running up or down stairs I never had stained fingers nor did I ever smoke in my home. But I agree wholeheartedly about the smell even though it never prevented me from mingling with the opposite sex in the numerous countries where I have lived. I have not smoked for 7 months and hope not to ever smoke again but who knows I stopped for 13 years before. I am 70 this month and still run up the stairs without much effort.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I made a conscious effort never to openly criticize people who do, as I know how tough it is.

I think this is an important point, with which I heartily agree. That being said, I'm glad smoking is no longer normalized in society, and those who do still smoke in public have to do it in segregated and confined spaces (and they are the inconvenienced ones and not the non-smoking majority).

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

I stopped, cold turkey just over 18 months. Not a day goes by when I don't think about one but up to now I've not succumbed. I quit for all the usual reasons, health benefits, family, waste of money etc but if the doc ever said "sorry BoJ, you've only got 6 months to live" I'm off to the nearest shop and getting 200 marlboro lights.