Water From AC unit.

After getting recent problems fixed, water is coming from my AC again, not where the air comes out, but at the side. The water still comes when the unit is off. anyone know what the problem is?

20 minutes ago, hgma said:

had the same problem a week ago, called the mechanic, had the regular cleaning, problem solved.

I have already had the regular cleaning done 2 weeks ago. 

20 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The last time this happened to me it turned out that insects had blocked the condensation pipe. The blockage was at the outside end of the pipe so it was easy to clear.

Maybe, but I'm sure that would have been done when it was cleaned about 2 weeks ago.

29 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe, but I'm sure that would have been done when it was cleaned about 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't bet on that ???? 

Do you have a shop-vac (wet-n-dry)? If so apply it (on suck) to the outside end of the drain tube (use some duck/duct tape to make a seal).

• Like 2

All aircons produce ice on its cooling element (like a fridge gets ice) and defrosts off to water. Just make sure you have a hose on it so you can drain it outside.

Edited by handymannz
addition

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Sometimes the clean can actually make the drainage worse, all the dirt/dust is dislodged and eventually makes its way into the drainage pipe, It may now need a flush out. Its a good idea to regularly put some bleach or similar down the pipe to kill off algae etc

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do you have a shop-vac (wet-n-dry)? If so apply it (on suck) to the outside end of the drain tube (use some duck/duct tape to make a seal).

I'm sorry Crossy, I just don't have a clue, my wife has phoned the guy again and I am now waiting for him coming.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, but surely not as much as this.

It's very humid at present, you would be surprised just how much water condenses out of the air.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I do the same. It works a treat.

• Like 2

We had something similar.  The water was not flowing properly and it collected in the pan running to the drain tube.  Inside the drain tube mold had formed blocking the condensation drain.  The mechanic removed as much as he could during cleaning and then sprayed down the drain tube to kill the remainder of the mold. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Inside the drain tube mold had formed blocking the condensation drain. 

All sorts of things animal, vegetable and probably mineral can take up residence in a nice warm, damp, dark place (your condensation drain). That it's blocked is almost certainly the issue. How to clear it and ensure it stays clear is a whole different ball game.

• Like 1

Do the water come out on the side where the drain pipe is located?

If not, then perhaps the cleaning guy have put the AC out of alignment during cleaning, so the condensing water cannot reach the tube or the little sloping the water normally has have been eliminated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, handymannz said:

All aircons produce ice on its cooling element (like a fridge gets ice) and defrosts off to water. Just make sure you have a hose on it so you can drain it outside.

This is simply not true.

When the air is cooled below the dew-point the water condensates. 

• Like 1

Anyone having ongoing issues with water dripping from their AC units even after servicing need to re-configure the drain. If the drain is configured correctly, your AC should NEVER drip. 

If you run your unit in "Fan" mode, with the fan on high, the inside of the unit should be dry. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

If you run your unit in "Fan" mode, with the fan on high, the inside of the unit should be dry. 

True for Fan or Dry mode, unless water has collected due to plugged drain tube.  The AC in an apartment we rented many years ago started dripping water.  Landlord called in the tech.  When he started unscrewing the skins it was like a dam burst - must have been 3 or more liters of water built up.

14 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

True for Fan or Dry mode, unless water has collected due to plugged drain tube.  The AC in an apartment we rented many years ago started dripping water.  Landlord called in the tech.  When he started unscrewing the skins it was like a dam burst - must have been 3 or more liters of water built up.

My post was about making sure you drain is configured correctly. 

That is why I stated that the inside of the unit should be dry after running it in "Fan" mode with the fan on high for an hour.  

I do not believe (although I am not sure) running in "Dry" mode will actually dry out the unit.  It is my understanding that the "Dry" mode functions as a dehumidifier in which case the inside of the unit would be wet. 

It is good practice to run in "Fan" mode (fan on high) for a couple hours a week to make sure the unit is completely dried out. 

• Like 1

If the problem is caused by a blocked drain, on our Mitsubishi indoor units the leak comes from the right hand side.  I poor half a pint of vinegar into the long trough below the fins and then flush after 20 minutes with boiling water to clear out the drain.  Service guys will use a strong suction machine but I've found on our many (25 +) units my method stops this type of leak.

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Anyone having ongoing issues with water dripping from their AC units even after servicing need to re-configure the drain. If the drain is configured correctly, your AC should NEVER drip. 

I do run the fan on high, it only lasted so long then the water came back, it seems all I can do is just accept the water is just going to stay. It has been cleaned and cleaned again, and

I have seen the guy use other methods that have been posted on this topic.

16 hours ago, DaLa said:

If the problem is caused by a blocked drain, on our Mitsubishi indoor units the leak comes from the right hand side.  I poor half a pint of vinegar into the long trough below the fins and then flush after 20 minutes with boiling water to clear out the drain.  Service guys will use a strong suction machine but I've found on our many (25 +) units my method stops this type of leak.

My AC is also a Mitsubishi, and your right, the leak comes from the right hand side, and the service guy did use what looked like a suction machine.

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

If the drainage pipe is blocked , might be insect but more usually what they call ' mook ' ( snotty substance ) and you don't have the tool with sufficient sucking power to clear it , then I have successfully tried blowing the blockage out. 

First you need to put an old towel down to cover any furniture near the inside air con. Next, lift up the units cover so you can see the inside. Finally, wrap something clean around the end of the drainage pipe then put it in your mouth making an air tight seal and give a few full lung blows up the pipe.

This has always worked for me although the blowing does send the debris out of the front of the air con.....hence the towel.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I do run the fan on high, it only lasted so long then the water came back, it seems all I can do is just accept the water is just going to stay. It has been cleaned and cleaned again, and

I have seen the guy use other methods that have been posted on this topic.

You have to reconfigure the drain.

What many aircon guys  fail in is  blasting the hell out of the drain pipe, I  shove the hose in and get the Wife  to stand  the  other end to see all the jelly and crud come  out, then flush down again with bleach, Use  some real  water  pressure. You have to get the drip tray  out and scrub that also, gets  full of sludge. For my next aircon Ill get a Daiken which now has an easily  removable drip tray.

Just now, Yellowtail said:

You have to reconfigure the drain.

My wife got guys from another town to come and fix it this morning, this was about 2 hours ago, only time will tell if it's OK now.