Importing parts / accessories

How are parts and accessories treated when importing to Thailand? I expect parcels are subject to inspection, and applicable duties and tax are levied prior to delivery to home address. Is there a set rate for motorcycle parts? How are accessories treated, say for instance, clothing / riding gear? What about if it's used gear (I'd like to ship my leathers, boots, etc. to here)? Are there "creative" ways to bring in new or used bits and bobs? Is the process arbitrary or do the custom's agents follow international HS codes?

Appreciate any comments from those who have experience in this area.

7 minutes ago, Thaigang said:

How are parts and accessories treated when importing to Thailand?

With taxes !!  and for used vehicle parts I believe they have stopped the import of them for a couple of years now.

I got hit with 30% tax on a pair of shoes I  had posted to myself..  of course sometimes you can get lucky and the things will arrive without any problems

I’ve always brought in my own ‘stuff’.... i.e. Bought motorbike pants, jacket etc when in the UK and just hand carried it here - thats not really an option during Covid. 

Some of the shops do have competitive pricing for quality stuff (i.e. Rev’it at Panda Rider) but sizing can be tricky. 

A 20,000 baht helmet can be found for 2k more than you’d find it in Europe etc (Shoei)

That may help for future reference etc.. BUT you want someone to post in your ‘used kit’...  due the size it ‘could’ attract attention, but, its still used kit which shouldn’t draw attention if opened unless customs are being awkward. 

I have always bought my football boots in the UK... got my mum to muddy them up a bit, remove all labels and packaging and then send them over here wrapped ‘very unprofessionally’ with a note saying... ‘You forgot these’....  I’ve done this about 4 times - the boots always got through. 

So... IF you wanted to take a chance - get a friend or family to wrap them, then post them although postage for a jacket and pants will likely be costly due to the weight. 

Alternatively, if a friend is travelling over any time soon, ask them.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

Clothing is about the worse thing to ship as most countries have draconian measures to protect local industry.

Unless you will be doing track days I don't think many here ride in "leathers". Too hot. 

Thanks for replies and insights. Yes, optimal scenario would see my gear coming as baggage, but as mentioned, restrictive flight measures means less inbound traffic.

I'm already kitted-up with weather appropriate gear bought locally. My not-so-near but terribly dear, leathers would be for late night excursions during those rare times of year when it can get a bit nippy in Southeast Asia.

Bringing in new bits and bobs would be my primary focus, so tax and duty is the quantifiable unit of measure I'm interested in. My leathers can wait. What's a pair mini LED signals going get hit with? Is that a different rate than say, a custom fuel cap, or a tail-tidy? Is everything motorcycle a flat rate ... and if motorcycle doesn't figure in the description? A light is light -- does it matter what it goes on? Flat rate or lumpy descriptors ...