The grand re-opening? Just 20 American tourists to arrive in Phuket on July 9

webfact

18 hours ago, ericdiam said:

It's real hot summer time in usa and Europe next few months with close to no restrictions anymore. Why would they fly all the way here. To find 90% still closed. And rain season

May as well go to Worthing, at least they have nice shelters to sit in even if it does rain, sit back and smell the seaweed. ???? (childhood memories)

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Wow !

Phuket seems to be bottom of the heap for Tourists.

You would think with all the C##p then Americans have been through with this awful Covid, they would be busting to get away to the Sun for a few weeks.

Maybe they are getting away, just not to Phuket. 

It's commonly known that most northern hemisphere countries come to the tropics in the cold winter months...so I would not read too much into the headline.

1 minute ago, Jud Canada said:

It's commonly known that most northern hemisphere countries come to the tropics in the cold winter months...so I would not read too much into the headline.

But in the northern hemisphere it is not winter but summer. 107F in Palm Springs today and 86F in Portland, Oregon.

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

129,000 ? Probably not that many booked seats on flights arriving. Will he resign if that number is less than 129 ? 

Did the self elected "PM" or any of his crew resign when they said anything that turned out to be wrong? If they did there would not be a government. OOOOPS!

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

But in the northern hemisphere it is not winter but summer. 107F in Palm Springs today and 86F in Portland, Oregon.

Thanks for the update. My comment was in reaction to the announcement that only 20 Americans are coming. Why? Because most people in the northern hemisphere travel in the cold winter months. 

PS everyone including Thais know that those north of the equator are enjoying spring and summer at home and don't usually come til fall and winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jud Canada said:

Thanks for the update. My comment was in reaction to the announcement that only 20 Americans are coming. Why? Because most people in the northern hemisphere travel in the cold winter months. 

PS everyone including Thais know that those north of the equator are enjoying spring and summer at home and don't usually come til fall and winter.

Americans come here during the summer break from school, at least the Backpackers use to, and that was when I and my Thai family would return to visit family.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

Are these "vaccinated tourists" still required to apply for the COE from their local Thai Embassy, plus all of the paperwork that goes with it? If so I can't see a single "Tourist" bothering!

The online system for COE is actually very efficient now. Very user friendly and easy to use.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 6:09 PM, KhunMorris said:

Why are you travelling to Thailand? What's the attraction. Genuinely curious.

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

I'm returning home. I  could have been with my wife earlier but some medical issues intervened. 

• Like 2

The bloom is definitely off the rose, Old hands will return when the onerous restrictions are gone i.e. quarantine, COE, overpriced flights, health and Covid-19 insurance etc. IMO Many years before  New tourists and travelers return in meaningful numbers. 39 million seems like a dream now. By the next high season the devastation to the tourism sector will be complete.  I'm from a tourist town that has from time to time experienced crushing declines. It will in time recover but not to its former dizzying heights. The government would be wise to reinvent the country, perhaps a retirement mecca ? 

Chok Dee Muang Thai !

On 6/1/2021 at 7:48 PM, smedly said:

I suspect the 20 from USA are not tourists at all but expats who have been vaccinated and have been waiting for an easy way to return to their homes in Thailand - no real surprise is it

NOT me, I am off to Nuevo Vallarta. Mexico no hotel confinement with cold food. I wait till end of JUNE to see what is happening in Thailand.i can now see all prices coming down, airlines have to fill the seats  

hello, this regards the "july reopening", the hotel tourists are required to stay in for 7 days MUST be certified by the Thai Health and Safety Board (Safety and Health Board?) i contacted one of the major hotels in Patong and they wont know if they will be certified until mid June, my point? if you book a hotel make sure they are certified, good luck

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gim12 said:

hello, this regards the "july reopening", the hotel tourists are required to stay in for 7 days MUST be certified by the Thai Health and Safety Board (Safety and Health Board?) i contacted one of the major hotels in Patong and they wont know if they will be certified until mid June, my point? if you book a hotel make sure they are certified, good luck

It's 14 days now not 7, sorry to say.  Many businesses are not happy with some of the requirements, especially the tour operators.

• Sad 1

Apart from the issue of there being an approved hotel list, the big issue is travel on Phuket will be restricted - visitors can’t wander anywhere, there are restrictions on access. It’s beginning to sound like visitors will have chaperones, or otherwise won’t be able to pop out of the hotel to go to 7/11.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, bermondburi said:

The online system for COE is actually very efficient now. Very user friendly and easy to use.

That's good to know for when I finally decide to travel back.

The main problem I find is that the embassy doesn't always seem to be up to date on the rules. That's why I and many others head over to the Thai Visas, Residency, and work Permits forum to check what we have to do.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:34 PM, ThailandRyan said:

It's 14 days now not 7, sorry to say.  Many businesses are not happy with some of the requirements, especially the tour operators.

What if a visitor only wants to stay in Phuket for 4 or 5 days , say 4 July to 9 July then leave the country ?

20 hours ago, kimamey said:

That's good to know for when I finally decide to travel back.

The main problem I find is that the embassy doesn't always seem to be up to date on the rules. That's why I and many others head over to the Thai Visas, Residency, and work Permits forum to check what we have to do.

COE can be done same day

flights same day.

hotels pre booked with cancelation, i have selected 2 hotels in case 

I find the embassies will not speculate at all, They are very robotic, which is good in a way

Wait, nothing has changed, don’t listen to gossip or rumors

It will happen when it happens, Don’t worry ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

COE can be done same day

flights same day.

hotels pre booked with cancelation, i have selected 2 hotels in case 

I find the embassies will not speculate at all, They are very robotic, which is good in a way

Wait, nothing has changed, don’t listen to gossip or rumors

It will happen when it happens, Don’t worry ????

I won't be going for a while as I was hoping for the 7 day stay in Phuket but that's changed now. I may have to just put up with that but I'd rather avoid it if possible. It's all this changing of plans that makes things difficult.

• Like 1