New TV

SWMBO is going to upgrade our TV to a 4K version, mostly used to display content from our Apple TV so we will need a 4K version as well the “smartness” isn’t so important as the built in apps don’t get updated and the Apple TV will cope. We currently have a 10 year old Samsung that’s going to mum as it’s still perfectly OK. 

SWMBO is looking at LG just because it’s different, probably a 55” or 65” and absolutely under 30k maybe under 20k. However Samsung looks to be less expensive. 

so I’m looking for input on which is likely to be better, there is just not enough information that I can find in English on the models available here. 

The anecdotal “mine’s been going for 10 years with no problem” is probably not so helpful

NB @Crossy if this is in the wrong place please move it, thanks. 

13 minutes ago, Susco said:

I just bought a LG 65un7200 with 3 year warranty on Lazada for 17.800 Baht.

They are now sold out, but the 65un7000 is still available for 15.990.

Otherwise have a look here, they are official dealers.

https://www.luckydigital.co.th/

That is useful once I get some information about which is the better brand and the differences between models. I currently know nothing. ???? 

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

Pretty much all the same at the lower prices, I usually opt for Panasonic as they often give 3 year guarantee

But there is a significant price difference between Samsung and LG & those are the most common that I’ve seen. We have nothing against Panasonic but again know nothing about them. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is useful once I get some information about which is the better brand and the differences between models. I currently know nothing. ???? 

Everyone will have a different best brand. I prefer LG, and would not take a Samsung at half the price, but I'm sure other will say Samsung is the best, and others will vote for Sony - Sharp - Panasonic or something else.

Avoid reading reviews online, as you will still be reading in 6 months, and have moved your goals 10 times. Better just go by your feeling.

Every major brand gives 3 year warranty these days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susco said:

Avoid reading reviews online, as you will still be reading in 6 months, and have moved your goals 10 times. Better just go by your feeling.

That is why I’m asking here. 

personaly I’ve only ever owned a TV in a country where 99% of the content was in a foreign language so unwatchable. so my knowledge is virtually zero.

I’m just going to be paying for SWMBOs TV and would like to avoid paying far too much or far too little  She doesn’t watch enough to pay lots of money & she doesn’t want a top end TV either. But how much is too little?

Someone told me years ago that most tv's have LG components inside, but that was before Samsung shot to providence.

I come from a time when you needed large muscles to press the buttons to change channels, so they all seem good to me these days.

Were on our second Samsung now. The first lasted about 8 years, and to be honest, even if the screen didn't turn misty, was due replacing anyway because of all the new tech available.

No matter what you buy, you'll probably replace it with a hologram in 8 years.

Avoid the cheap Thai brands and you should be fine...I like LG but last year bought a Samsung 55" 4K at a very good discount from PowerBuy and very happy with it...so far.

Panasonic and Sharp are very good also look for good deals on Lazada/Shoppee and in your local retailers is best bet...