7-eleven chicken tikka masala

8 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Surely you're joking? I've never met a Thai who wants to even try Indian food. Let's see a photo please.

EDIT: sorry I just saw it online. Now need to find an excuse to go to Bangkok.

Yeah....when down in Ao nang, I had to slip a bit of chicken tikka masala on to the GF's plate when she turned away for a second..she actually liked it...but once I told her what it was she cringed. The Thai palate is pretty much confined to Thai (sour/sweet/salty/spicy/stinky) with a bit of Japanese and Korean thrown in for good measure.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I like 'em also... the strawberry topped cheesecake one in particular... Not too big, but just enough to satisfy a bit of a sweet tooth craving after dinner.... at a crazy good price.

I believe their cheesecake slices have the traditional crushed graham cracker crust type base... At least, that's what it looks and tastes like. And the cheesecake part is more on the light and creamy side, vs the thick/heavy and cream cheesey varieties that are sometimes made.

BTW, there's also a sponge cake / pudding cup and a couple other Japanese style deserts they're stocking that are equally good... nice clean fresh taste, not overly sugary in the usual mode here.

looks like you live in bkk, but in case you are in pattaya,

friendship supermarket on south pattaya rd has a strawberry cheesecake in a plastic glass for 98 that is spectacular, just the right blend of sweet and sour

and i havnt seen anything that matches it in its class

11 hours ago, bobbin said:

I think it's pretty darn good.. the tikka massala. But the basmati rice is sub-par.

I have started to make my own basmati rice with tumeric in the rice cooker. Big improvement.

You can't "make" Basmati rice. Basmati rice is a variety of rice, like Jasmine rice.

Nothing to do with adding turmeric, or any other ingredient for that matter.

• Like 1

The good thing here about 7-11 here is the prices are not generally jacked up compared to a regular super market.  In some countries, they are double or triple as it is a "convenience store" and you are paying for that convenience.  I enjoy their quick meals occasionally they have actually added several more choices recently. Those toasted sandwiches are decent also.  All of them are snack size truly not meant to be a full size meal.

Have tried the Chicken Tikka did not find the chicken rubbery maybe they over cook it sometimes.  And, can't beat the freshly ground coffee for 20 b.

When the first Tesco-Lotus supermarket was being built in Phuket, there were large protests by the mom 'n' pop stores that thought that Tesco-Lotus would put them out of business.

They picked the wrong target. It was the 711's and Family Marts that dealt them the coup de grace.

We the customers were happy with the outcome. No more expensive, near to sell by date goods covered in dust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

yes i have had many times! I also buy naans from makro and they are damn good. Put together and you got yourself and half decent ruby. I also think Thai's are warming up to Indian food as they realize that it is actually really good. But they still won't touch the lamb curries!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I stopped buying chicken breasts,  the texture is very  dense (cannot think of better way to describe it )

they are growing the chickens much too fast,  the legs cannot hold the body up in lot of cases, so i just

buy filets.

regards worgeordie

I find that with most Thai meat. If I have anything pork, and in Thailand there is little choice other than pork or chicken, then I have to boil it for up to an hour before putting it into the convector cooker.

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's a result of over-cooking, thigh can stand longer cooking, breast can't.  

To cook chicken breasts I bring a pot of water to a boil.  Put the breasts in the water and let it come to a boil again.  At that point turn off the heat and put a cover on the pot.  Let stand for 1 hour.  The chicken comes out perfectly cooked.

18 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

yes i have had many times! I also buy naans from makro and they are damn good. Put together and you got yourself and half decent ruby. I also think Thai's are warming up to Indian food as they realize that it is actually really good. But they still won't touch the lamb curries!

A lot of Thai food is largely based on Indian or Chinese anyway. There is nothing unique or special about it - except Somtam and fermented fish ????

13 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Surely you're joking? I've never met a Thai who wants to even try Indian food. Let's see a photo please.

EDIT: sorry I just saw it online. Now need to find an excuse to go to Bangkok.

well if I am not mistaken from what I know, this is known in Thailand as KhawMawkGai and it is sold almost everywhere and locals eat it too!

• Like 1

Finally this guy gets some recognition.

At 7-elevens around my place this one hoarded like toilet paper in COVID times. Always quantities of Indian box are highest when loading the shelves, but an hour later, the rest are still there, but chicken masala slot is empty. It's not easy to come by, so now I do same as others... when I see it, I empty the shelf as well.

On quality of it, chicken is excellent (2:40 @ 600W, lid on), but proportions are off a bit - too much chicken for the amount of rice, though you could just replace rice with your own naan, as the rice is a little dry after reheating. Not like this is a problem of only this box.

13 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Will have a look, does it come with rice, and is it sold nationwide?

Has anyone seen the cheesecakes they do now for 35 baht? Red, purple and yellow toppings, crispy base? They are the real deal, very nice indeed,. In some hi-so bakery they would cost 100bt up.

Unfortunately those cheesecakes at 7-11 are with fake cream cheese preparation. I won't say that those 100 Baht cakes at bakery aren't made with it, too. You can only find it out if you read the product description and ingredients in Thai. The fake cream cheese can be bought at bakery stores and it's same thing as this fake butter cream. You just add cold water and mix it. Don't trust the foods too much here, especially foreign food. Often cheese is fake here, too. So is cream. 

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I stopped buying chicken breasts,  the texture is very  dense (cannot think of better way to describe it )

they are growing the chickens much too fast,  the legs cannot hold the body up in lot of cases, so i just

buy filets.

regards worgeordie

Maybe an idea for the future, switch to ladies breasts, can be tender with or without silicone... ???? 55555

The 7Elevens in our area have discontinued the Tikka... I was running from one branch to the next a few weeks ago like a mad man, trying to find one, but to no avail. These meals popped up out of nowhere, and I loved the Tikka Masala very much, but about a week later all of them disappeared again ????

16 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I  found the chicken to be a bit rubbery, but it tastes OK

regards worgeordie

I told a Chinese restaurant in the UK once their chicken was very rubbery, they replied "Fank you velly much" ????????  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Macro also sell Biryani paste, Good large samosas, unfortunately mine no longer sells basmati rice, or sweet mango chutney but I buy  the chutney online. 

1 hour ago, Freigeist365 said:

The 7Elevens in our area have discontinued the Tikka... I was running from one branch to the next a few weeks ago like a mad man, trying to find one, but to no avail. These meals popped up out of nowhere, and I loved the Tikka Masala very much, but about a week later all of them disappeared again ????

Still available in mine, but often sold out. Talk to branch manager.

• Like 1

Tesco used to sell chicken masala as well as butter chicken paste that was quite delicious. Maybe they still sell it. Of course you’ll need a stove, but preparing and cooking chicken with that paste is quite easy.

3 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Tesco used to sell chicken masala as well as butter chicken paste that was quite delicious. Maybe they still sell it. Of course you’ll need a stove, but preparing and cooking chicken with that paste is quite easy.

I used the Tesco Tikka Masala sauce 2 nights ago. This offering from 7 has a nicer flavour..

I've got a couple of other Tesco Indian sauces.. Jalfreezi, Madras, and even a Rogan Josh.

Not sold anymore in the new Lotus's..

16 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Somehow I doubt that the tikka masala would ever be sold where I Iive. Whenever I cook a jalfrezi or vindaloo, my wife won't even come into the house. Seems very common amongst Thais to have an ingrained hatred of Indian food (and Indian men). If anyone could explain why this is the case, I'd love to know why.

Racism from a rascist nation, was the same in the UK 50 years ago, then in the late 90s chicken tikka masala overtook fish and chips as the national favourite dish. 

7 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

Racism from a rascist nation, was the same in the UK 50 years ago, then in the late 90s chicken tikka masala overtook fish and chips as the national favourite dish. 

Twice I have taken Thai friends to an Indian restaurant, and on both occasions they didn't want to order anything. But when they tasted what I had ordered, they were very surprised.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bobbin said:

I used the Tesco Tikka Masala sauce 2 nights ago. This offering from 7 has a nicer flavour..

I've got a couple of other Tesco Indian sauces.. Jalfreezi, Madras, and even a Rogan Josh.

Not sold anymore in the new Lotus's..

You'll never get a proper tikka masala from a jar, because much of the flavour comes from marinating and then cooking the chicken in a tandoor, which imparts that delicious smoky flavour. All you need to do is dig a hole in the garden and put one of those clay urns into the hole and pack soil around it. It's on my to do list.

If you want some really amazing recipes, look up Latif's Inspired on YouTube, best recipes I have tried.

Edited by BenDeCosta

17 hours ago, bobbin said:

I think it's pretty darn good.. the tikka massala. But the basmati rice is sub-par.

I have started to make my own basmati rice with tumeric in the rice cooker. Big improvement.

Rice is always a problem in microwave meals as it is already cooked so reheating usually just ruins it completely by overcooking. In the UK the home microwave meals cooking instructions are usually in 2 stages so I usually remove the rice after the 1st stage or as soon as its hot throughout and before the curry is thoroughly hot. I also always shorten by 30 secs or sometimes a minute or 2 the overall recommended cooking times as I think the manufacturers add on the same to avoid the risk of being sued for giving food poisoning which was a problem when microwave meals 1st came on the market in the UK. I have never suffered any ill effects from doing this, but I have never bought a frozen ready meal when in Thailand so I dont know if it would be safe to do the same there. Im quite partial to an occasional Indian so I will be trying this one though when I return. Thanks for the recommendation.