Do you use a VPN ? Do they really help ?

rumak

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

OK,    how does one use PayPal ??          ( i also do NOT have internet banking). 

PayPal acts as a trusted site to hold your credit card or debit card details, and for forwarding and receiving payments.  

Say you want to buy a VPN subscription for $60USD a year.  You elect to pay with PayPal on their payment screen.  Basically what happens is, PayPal sends the VPN company $60USD off your credit card, but the VPN company doesn't know your credit card number, expiry date, CVV etc.  This is the way it will work wherever you see the PayPal symbol for payment.  The company you are buying from, over the internet, will never know your credit card details.    

• Like 2

You just sign up with Paypal, you link it to your bank account, it's easy you just follow the website sign up fields.

Then if you ever want to make a payment you use your email address and password. Very convenient.

3 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

The company you are buying from, over the internet, will never know your credit card details.    

But of course, Paypal has all those details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

PayPal acts as a trusted site to hold your credit card or debit card details, and for forwarding and receiving payments.  

Say you want to buy a VPN subscription for $60USD a year.  You elect to pay with PayPal on their payment screen.  Basically what happens is, PayPal sends the VPN company $60USD off your credit card, but the VPN company doesn't know your credit card number, expiry date, CVV etc.  This is the way it will work wherever you see the PayPal symbol for payment.  The company you are buying from, over the internet, will never know your credit card details.    

thanks for explaining that !    i think i may not be the only one here that never used it   haha

If i do use a vpn that is not free,   i  will try PayPal.      Let's hope THEY  are honest  ????

Just now, rumak said:

thanks for explaining that !    i think i may not be the only one here that never used it   haha

If i do use a vpn that is not free,   i  will try PayPal.      Let's hope THEY  are honest  ????

There's always the option of a pre paid Visa or Master Card.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

yep,  catch 24     who do you trust ?  

Unless you bank with a global bank, there's every chance PayPal is bigger than your bank in your home country.  It's certainly bigger than any Thai bank.  

You don't get to be that big by robbing people, or having their data compromised.   

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

yep,  catch 24     who do you trust ?  

legit companies will not do anything with your credit card info. 

and legit credit card companies do not hold you liable for fraud on the card.

check your accounts regularly for suspicious behavior and don't worry too much. 

and yes, prepaid credit cards are good. 

Edited by covidiot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Must have for browsing the Dark Web

Where do you find this dark web - I've put the light on, turned it off, used a torch - still can't find it.. ????

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I have lived here for 8 years and never found a situation were I have needed a VPN. Unless you need to access some geo blocked content from back home I cant see the need. In the rare instance where I need to get around some geo-blocking etc, I just use Opera browser which has a basic peer to peer VPN built in.

It appears to be one of those things, most people are not really sure why, but they feel they need a VPN.

As for which one is the best, it would probably come down to the country/content you are trying to access.

I use VPN to watch home countrys tv shows and some live sports. Also some bank services are not possible if not use it. Bank block  direct payment and can only pay like flight whit credit card if shows im not in own country. Last year was really helpful coz all my credit cards get old and really cant get new one to sended in Thailand. I use Freedome VPN.

Edited by 2 is 1

2 hours ago, rumak said:

The movies that i used to get through Kodi  are all "no stream available"  now.

tried the suggested fix but no luck.     

the next "fix"  wanted me to get a VPN 

You don't need a VPN for that. You do need someone to talk you through how to more easily and reliably view the media of your choice.

One way with KODI is to have a secure link to a remote media folder. All your media goes into the remote media folder which you can then play/stream via KODI.

This way you are not longer faced with the situation of the service not working from one day to the next.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, covidiot said:

not sure about streaming or torrenting.

but let's say it's for online banking.

if you look at the top left corner of thai visa web site, you will notice a small "lock" icon. that means the web site is encrypted. most likely, your online banking site will also be encrypted. so if a site is encrypted, everything you are doing on that site is not viewable to others.

so no vpn is needed for an encrypted site. 

at least that's my understanding. 

I believe if you are using the internet in a cafe or public place it is quite possible that someone can access your account, so things like banking are better done on a secure internet service. I avoid using banking and email outside but I’m less concerned about using everyday websites, like news, forums, etc. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You don't need a VPN for that. You do need someone to talk you through how to more easily and reliably view the media of your choice.

One way with KODI is to have a secure link to a remote media folder. All your media goes into the remote media folder which you can then play/stream via KODI.

This way you are not longer faced with the situation of the service not working from one day to the next.

You do need a VPN to access Netflix US database, UK database and other worldwide Netflix. You also need VPN to access BBC Iplayer (even if Rumak is not British there is a lot of good US content on BBCIplayer, I'm German and watch it).

So unless you want to restrict your TV viewing in Thailand you do need a VPN.

10 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You do need a VPN to access Netflix US database, UK database and other worldwide Netflix. You also need VPN to access BBC Iplayer (even if Rumak is not British there is a lot of good US content on BBCIplayer, I'm German and watch it).

So unless you want to restrict your TV viewing in Thailand you do need a VPN.

Did he ask about accessing Netflix US database, UK database and other worldwide Netflix and BBC iPlayer? 

I simply replied to:

The movies that i used to get through Kodi  are all "no stream available"  now.

No reference to NetFlix nor BBC iPlayer.

Windscribe is an excellent VPN, I used their free service for a few weeks to assess and get used to it, they give you 10gb a day free but my online time always exceeded that so eventually I took up the paid service, US$52 if my memory serves me right and can attach 5 devices to it, they have servers in just about every country, a Canadian setup, very good.

Sometimes a page won't load, I just click on the key symbol switch off and switch back on again, all is good again. Give it a try ????

• Like 1

Yes, but we all love Rumak and don't want him to miss out on two of the main sources of the best film entertainment currently produced today. So if he wants to get Netflix etc with US content, he will need a VPN.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

you don't happen to live in my area of Chiangmai,  do you ?   ☺️????

sometimes ( almost always)  it amazes me how many steps and clicks and yesses it takes

to get a simple task done.    the other day i lost some apps just clicking on an update !

this new fangled technology world i hate.     well, except for skype (with daughter)  and

those nighttime distractions (movies)  which have replaced the wet and wild distractions

of yesteryear

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Yes, but we all love Rumak and don't want him to miss out on two of the main sources of the best film entertainment currently produced today. So if he wants to get Netflix etc with US content, he will need a VPN.

I PAID to get Netflix for 2 years.    Pretty much ran out of content that i was interested in.  Almost all their "home cooked" movies follow the same patterns ....... and the Marvel stuff i outgrew 50 years ago   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rumak said:

you don't happen to live in my area of Chiangmai,  do you ?   ☺️????

sometimes ( almost always)  it amazes me how many steps and clicks and yesses it takes

to get a simple task done.    the other day i lost some apps just clicking on an update !

this new fangled technology world i hate.     well, except for skype (with daughter)  and

those nighttime distractions (movies)  which have replaced the wet and wild distractions

of yesteryear

No; I'm far away.

Unfortunately, it does take a little learning to get the best result for the least money.

if you depend on totally free, then you cannot expect it to be reliable.

A simplified illustration. Imagine that you have a collection of movies on your PC that you are happy to share. So everyone connects to your PC to download these movies. It will impact on your data connection and also your PC resources.

So you may need to invest in a higher speed Internet connection and a faster PC. Who will pay for that, so that people can download stuff from your PC for free?

So don't expect free services to be reliable. Better to have a dedicated and reliable service all to yourself; than a low quality 'free' service.

But you have to learn how to use it. Once you do, it's a doddle.

Do people know what encryption is ??? Banking, email etc websites and apps have been encrypted for the last 20 years, from your screen through to the banks server, its encrypted.

It appears everyone consumes the VPN marketing Kool-aid. 

Logically, if someone is capable of intercepting and reading encrypted data, they would be just as capable of intercepting and reading VPN encrypted data. Why is one form of encryption vulnerable and another is not ???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Logosone said:

No...again I can get all of that content...without having a NetFlix subscription. I cannot think of anything of note that has been on NetFlix that I cannot find uploaded somewhere else.

Either way, he did not ask about NetFlix and has replied to your suggestion of needing it anyway.

What is there?  A couple of dozen VPN’s?    Use one of the top five, and you can’t go wrong.  
I would guess even better would be to stick to the top two.

NORD VPN, and EXPRESS VPN. 

Surfshark, Cyberghost, PIA, and TunnelBear are also good, but not as good as Nord or Express. 
     You can find free ones, but their effectiveness is suspect. 

Personally, I would stick with either Express VPN or Nord VPN . Either one of them is great. ????????  You can’t wrong with either one of them. 

I use NORD VPN myself and really super happy with it.  But I would also have no problem using EXPRESS VPN.  They’re both great.  The top two in my opinion.

I do have Tunnel Bear for a backup. Probably not needed.  It just can’t compare to Nord VPN and Express VPN. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

No...again I can get all of that content...without having a NetFlix subscription. I cannot think of anything of note that has been on NetFlix that I cannot find uploaded somewhere else.

Either way, he did not ask about NetFlix and has replied to your suggestion of needing it anyway.

Yeah, I used to think that, I also downloaded and didn't have Netflix for years. But you do need it to have full access to what's out there. Even Netflix doesn't have all the series and tvs, you need several sources anyway.

1 hour ago, rumak said:

I PAID to get Netflix for 2 years.    Pretty much ran out of content that i was interested in.  Almost all their "home cooked" movies follow the same patterns ....... and the Marvel stuff i outgrew 50 years ago   

There is a lot of dross, but there are new series and films added all the time of course. If you want the full choice Netflix is a key source.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Google Chrome is not a VPN.

Thanks but I know that what mean to say it's protection enough for me. 

I vaguely know what VPN is for, I see it come up on popcorn when I go on that sometimes and when you go to it they just want money.

• Confused 1