Japanese import bike with no papers

VinnieK

Hi..

As the title suggests ,someone is selling a J. bike ..2014 model but no papers.

Still has a japanese number plate and various Japanese stickers.

I wonder, how did this happen

Importer didn't have money for taxes and it was confiscated and sold in an auction?

Any info on how to proceed?

In my experience you get away with a lot in Thailand if you stay cool.

But as far as I know you should have an invoice for that bike. If there is not invoice then it could be stolen. And I don't think it's a good idea to "own" or ride a stolen bike in Thailand.

Otherwise it seems lots of police officers are flexible...

• Like 1

Yes don't even touch it with the proverbial "barge pole"

Plenty of legitimate fully legal bikes for sale..no need to even consider one without a green book.

Edited by johng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In my experience you get away with a lot in Thailand if you stay cool.

But as far as I know you should have an invoice for that bike. If there is not invoice then it could be stolen. And I don't think it's a good idea to "own" or ride a stolen bike in Thailand.

Otherwise it seems lots of police officers are flexible...

Invoice from the current owner?

Tbh I didn't bother to ask where got it from...lol

I assumed he would lie anyway.

IMG20210603173226 (1).jpg

IMG20210603172925.jpg

• Like 1

SR400FI (after 2010) can be bought 2nd hand for around 170-180k, legally. 
If you prefer the carbureted model (pre-2010), there are thousands of them for sale. 99% of them without book and a few of them with book, but with various degrees of legitimacy. Bikes without books go from 40k to 70k. If you're lucky to find one with a decent book, 90k - 100k. 
You can ride an SR without book (many still do, with invoice), but it's just not worth the hassle anymore, so I would not recommend it.

Here is mine...1998 SR400 WITH green book. ???? 

http://www.pipeburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/11_07_2016_Yamaha_SR400_Omega_Racer_Sunmaster_01_large.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

Here is mine...1998 SR400

That exposed clutch  reminds me of a very painful  injury to my ankle  whilst riding a Vespa  off road in the woods  without a cover on the flywheel/cooling fan !!! ????

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Invoice from the current owner?

Tbh I didn't bother to ask where got it from...lol

I assumed he would lie anyway.

IMG20210603173226 (1).jpg

Nice bike and looks like a OEM complete bike,  probably rode into Thailand at sometime and sold or stolen.

Years ago about 10 now I think they clamped down on imported and unregistered bikes. 

You could own them and insure them and they were cheap to buy. 

I had a CB400 that I bought in CM and you just had invoicing for all the bits and pieces. 

There were CB's with green books but twice the price. 

I tried to get in registered in Bangkok and after enquiries into what has to be done and the costs involved to be issued with a green book the costs just made it not worth it.  

I sold it and it was bought as parts. 

• Like 1

Even for the bikes with invoices
Police are actively looking for these 'hot' bikes, have one on Thai classified and the police would show up pretty quickly.

not illegal to own,(technically as parts, and you could legitimately use it as such) but you could be liable for the back taxes, the worse they could do if found riding is impound the bike and hit you with bill for the tax, or many ten of thousands for the case to go away, and you'll never see the bike again.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 1:37 AM, Peterw42 said:

The first thing the DLT would want to see is correct import documentation.

I don't think its possible to even have the correct documentation now.  I know they banned the import of secondhand private cars a couple of years ago, I would have thought that ban also extended to bikes.

Technically you can insure it for the compulsory third party damage/injury (Por Ror Bor) insurance that's required for the road tax using just the VIN alone, for example, 50cc bikes can no longer be registered for a number plate(some were grandfathered in from the 80s/early 90s) but they are not illegal to use on the road, some would have the insurance papers in place of the road tax.

As for dodgy 'invoice' bikes with questionable papers... yes you can pay for the insurance to go with the bike, but not much good that'd do if you were ever caught in an accident then the police see you riding an essentially free extortion machine

On 6/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, digbeth said:

Technically you can insure it for the compulsory third party damage/injury (Por Ror Bor) insurance that's required for the road tax using just the VIN alone, for example, 50cc bikes can no longer be registered for a number plate(some were grandfathered in from the 80s/early 90s) but they are not illegal to use on the road, some would have the insurance papers in place of the road tax.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire, but any petrol engined motorcycle regardless of engine size has to be registered / have road tax / govt insurance to be legally ridden on the road .....

There is no exemption for " 49cc's" ....

If a bike has been imported (again regardless of engine size) and it can't be registered, for what ever reason - Then it can't be legaly riden on the road...

There are hundreds of these 49cc bikes kicking around - imported from Japan with no papers, so no book / plate / tax and there is an old wives tale that they are "exempt" .....

And how do i know ?

2 years ago i bought one of these said 49ers from a seller in BKK who assured me "49cc bike exempt" .....

So bike bought, but just to be on the safe side i popped into Pattaya police station with a photo of the bike, and asked for official confirmation......

Lady tourist police on the desk by entrance "not legal on road" .....i was having none of it, so asked to speak to someone from "traffic" - Guy came out, i repeated my story and showed photo - "Not legal" ..... Still having none of it, i asked to speak to his boss - 5 min later a bloke with loads of pips on his shoulders came out and i again repeated my story - This time adding that i'd been to the police in BKK and was told that "49cc bikes are exempt" ..... he was having none of it - and repeated what his colleagues had said - "if it has a petrol engine, regardless of size, it has to be registered / taxed / insured - If not the bike could be confiscated" .....

My lady used the bike round the back sois to go up to the shops, never venturing onto any "main" road - luckily never saw a policeman.....

Sold it now cos she passed her test and has a "normal " scooter that's registered / taxed / insured ......

So when buyer asked me if it was ok riding it on the road with no registration - what you think i said     ? ?

1.jpg