Where To Buy Solar Hybrid Inverter And what to buy

2 hours ago, Seeall said:

Could you ellaborate  on this "Thailand Special Line" please?  We have given importing anthing as the duty is always over the top.. like 55usd for a 50usd pool light...

whist lazada and shoppy seem to bring things in with minimal mark up,,

Eh?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Minimum PV voltage 100V (lower than that and it won't start).

For minimum read Recommended or did I read the spec. wrong.

For me the maximum charge current (36A) is a bit low. What is the battery capacity?

Don't forget these are "when new" specs.

3 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

For me the maximum charge current (36A) is a bit low. What is the battery capacity?

Don't forget these are "when new" specs.

For the 8k unit max charge  is 120A

Pink

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I read that inverter spec as:-

Minimum PV voltage 100V (lower than that and it won't start).

Maximum PV voltage 500V, open circuit (above that and it fries).

Maximum PV current 18A on each MPPT port (2 of them).

Overall a total of 8000W of input split between the two ports. Check your panel's VMP (max power voltage) and get them to add to 200-400V (our inverters specify a recommended MPPT voltage range). The unit will adjust for max power anyway. Check that the total VOC for your panels doesn't exceed 500V (this is probably the most important number to avoid killing your inverter).

EDIT

Our Trina 345W panels have:-

Max power voltage 35.4V

Max power current 7.26A

Open circuit voltage 43.2V (so you could have 11 in series on each input)

You could have two strings of 6 series panels in parallel on each input (14.5A and 212V) for 4140W per input.

How is your experience with Trina? Whats your thoughts on mono vs poly? I think i might go with poly if the deal is the right. used vs new boards?

Pink

9 hours ago, Muhendis said:

To my engineering brain "minimum" means "lowest at which it will work". Minimum PC spec. for Windows 10 is something like a 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, nobody would run a PC that limited, it really would be barely functional.

Our Sofar manual is rather more informative in specifying maximum, start-up, nominal, MPPT operating range and full load voltage range. Possibly a case here of too much information.

I would take "nominal" as the aiming point (sum of your panel max power voltages), "maximum" as the never to be exceeded value (sum of your panel O/C voltages). The minima would be useful if you didn't have a full complement of panels to ensure things will actually function. 

1168043563_solarinput.jpg.f12df23d26ea61f8e537768db6f73b83.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

To my engineering brain "minimum" means "lowest at which it will work". Minimum PC spec. for Windows 10 is something like a 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM, nobody would run a PC that limited, it really would be barely functional.

Our Sofar manual is rather more informative in specifying maximum, start-up, nominal, MPPT operating range and full load voltage range. Possibly a case here of too much information.

I would take "nominal" as the aiming point (sum of your panel max power voltages), "maximum" as the never to be exceeded value (sum of your panel O/C voltages). The minima would be useful if you didn't have a full complement of panels to ensure things will actually function. 

1168043563_solarinput.jpg.f12df23d26ea61f8e537768db6f73b83.jpg

Yup you're right. The spec. clearly says "minimum recommended". In other words a headroom of 40v or so above the maximum charger output into a 48v system however that doesn't mean to say it won't work below 100v. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 3:50 PM, Pink7 said:

So its rainy season soon, any experience on better deals on solar panels when rainy season ?

Pink

The weather has no affect on the price of solar panels but I did notice today that Ruangsangthai near Buriram have some 330W panels for 2,800 Baht.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

The weather has no affect on the price of solar panels.

Yes, my wife told same..  Last day i saw a documentary on you tube on how china have taken over the solar panel market both on quantity and quality, and then also pricing. I thought still Germany and Usa was in the front seat, so its good to get some updated knowledge.

Pink

35 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Yes, my wife told same..  Last day i saw a documentary on you tube on how china have taken over the solar panel market both on quantity and quality, and then also pricing. I thought still Germany and Usa was in the front seat, so its good to get some updated knowledge.

Pink

Some say the Chinese government is subsidising these companies.  Do I care? 

Other governments used to give subsidising to users of solar panels , If Chinese government saw a market potential and did the same for the production part , what is the difference ? Bad for US and EU companies , yes probably . But both US and EU are not really hungry for production of anything anymore ( some individual countries are starting to change policy since they see a lack of qualified persons of the production which is still there and the total dependency to other countries) .

Anyway , yes China provided means to have huge solar supply dropping the price fast from where it has been .

1 hour ago, sezze said:

yes China provided means to have huge solar supply dropping the price fast from where it has been .

Other countries are equally free to do that if they have the political will but as you commented, most do not. It should really be an integral part of "green" policy to help ween people off reliance on fossil fuels.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 4:41 PM, BritManToo said:

Would point out every 'pre-order ships in xx days' I've encountered on Shoppee was some sort of scam.

I'll finish with Shopee, the last 4 orders, all go wrong, 3 times I've got less than i order, and one time it was compete different with what i order.

Also, i order 4 legs (35 cm stainless steel), of course pay for 4 but get one. After complaining they told me they will send me 3 later, all from China.

This happens 3 weeks ago.

Because i was not willing to wait again, i order 4 the same legs direct in China (same price), and guess...if got them already but the 3 through from Shopee, i still waiting for that.

And you know, when you complain at Shopee, you'll get the same answer sorry bla, bla, bla, but no solution.

FINISH with Shopee!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, Pink7 said:

Any thoughts on a diy setup like tihs? I would guess better to maintain in the long term since replace any components would be quite straight forward.

Pink

This is not so different from my setup except mine is 8kW and all units independently mounted.

It's not something achievable without a good level of understanding about things electronic and electrical, also the build in the picture looks like it may have thermal problems so it would be a good idea not to try copying it. I do like the low frequency topology though. I think I would recommend separate units rather than try to make it in a single big box.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pink7 said:

Any thoughts on a diy setup like tihs? I would guess better to maintain in the long term since replace any components would be quite straight forward.

Pink

Prices are falling all the time, assume anything you buy today will be scrap in 3-5 years.

Just ordered a 5.5Kw Hybrid (48v, wifi) unit from China for 13k5bht delivered.

How much will all your separate parts cost?

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Prices are falling all the time, assume anything you buy today will be scrap in 3-5 years.

Just ordered a 5.5Kw Hybrid (48v, wifi) unit from China for 13k5bht delivered.

How much will all your separate parts cost?

This guy in the video have some different solutions he sell. cost around double of the 13k you pay for your. I saw your post and replied you there to get the link. I will follow your tread and hope you will keep it updated. That price is good !!!

Pink

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Muhendis said:

This is not so different from my setup except mine is 8kW and all units independently mounted.

It's not something achievable without a good level of understanding about things electronic and electrical, also the build in the picture looks like it may have thermal problems so it would be a good idea not to try copying it. I do like the low frequency topology though. I think I would recommend separate units rather than try to make it in a single big box.

This guy build and sell this builds.. I guess the 2 chargers easy benefit from mounted outside the box,, selling page: https://www.facebook.com/mask.mask.9028194

Pink

Edited by Pink7
added page

On 2/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, Muhendis said:

I really believe that a setup with single units would have a much longer lifespan that a all in one, but i have no experience to back it up with. How long you had your setup? could you share a photo and some details?

Pink

5 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I really believe that a setup with single units would have a much longer lifespan that a all in one, but i have no experience to back it up with. How long you had your setup? could you share a photo and some details?

Pink

Here is my inverter. It's not what it says on the cover.

Inside there is a 10kW pwm power module from china driving a very heavy 8kW EI transformer. Temperature control is by speed controlled fans which are not too noisy.

The reason it has misleading writing on the top is because the manufacturer could not supply spares when, at three years old, it stopped working. The box is the original repurposed. I do not have utility supply feeding it.

Home Brew Inverter.jpg

• Like 1

Here we have the MPPT Charge controllers and next to them is the outgoing 220v MCB box. That little timer is for the room ventilation fan which does a complete room air change every half hour or so. The room is 2M x 1.2M x 3M high.

MPPT Charge Controlers SRNE MT4860.jpg