Climatic change means less rain for Thailand and hotter May and June this year

webfact

4717814F-42EB-4FFA-910C-6A88534CC2D7.jpg

You may be wondering why it is hotter now than it was in April, which is supposed to be the hottest month of the year in Thailand. Dr. Sutat Weesakul, director of Thailand’s Hydro Informatics Institute (HII), is attributing the hot weather to less rain this month, even though Thailand officially entered the rainy season in mid-May.

He told Thai PBS that the multiple high-rise buildings, concrete and asphalt roads, especially in Bangkok, trap heat from the sunlight, which is compounded by the weak southwesterly monsoon wind, which is supposed to bring rain to Thailand, are causing temperatures in May and June to be higher than those in April.

The average daytime temperature in the past few weeks has been 39-41°C he said, adding that the hot weather is happening worldwide due to climatic change, with the weak La Nina conditions in the early part of this year, resulting to less rain and hotter weather.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/climatic-change-means-less-rain-for-thailand-and-hotter-may-and-june-this-year/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

The 39C I can believe but .........................LOL

It was 39 the last couple of days out near Phutthamonthon. But in 11 years, I have never seen 40 or above. Isn't the record high in Bangkok just 40? At least today will be better. Just as hot but much lower humidity--in the 40s percent.

• Like 1

Not by me, was a drought about 4  years  ago but since then its rained way  more than normal.

This  is  just the buttering up for the impending  flooding or drought, wasn't  us it's global warming bS.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

39 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It was 39 the last couple of days out near Phutthamonthon. But in 11 years, I have never seen 40 or above. Isn't the record high in Bangkok just 40? At least today will be better. Just as hot but much lower humidity--in the 40s percent.

In 15  years where  I am, for  about 3  years  in a row 2014-17, drought, temps over 40c often in the hot season, then 3-4  years  ago it changed to much wetter and  not  many days over 40c  now like there used to be, so  cooler and wetter.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, keith101 said:

At the rate they keep cutting down and burning trees to increase the crop yield the more climate change will affect this and other countries in SEA . 

Fear not ive  planted about 450 trees  in the last 3  years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

At the rate they keep cutting down and burning trees to increase the crop yield the more climate change will affect this and other countries in SEA . 

Cambodia has done a lot of deforestation in recent years. I visited a few times and I can tell the country is getting hotter and hotter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

As it is, the day rainy season started is about the time it stopped raining at my place. 

Same as our farm in Korat. The lake was flooded over the edges in April, but May and June have been dry.

Here in Bangkok it's also been pretty dry apart from a couple of big storms. I've been holding off getting the car washed because I don't fancy sitting in the waiting room during Covid but it's covered in dust now from the lack of rain now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He told Thai PBS that the multiple high-rise buildings, concrete and asphalt roads, especially in Bangkok, trap heat from the sunlight, which is compounded by the weak southwesterly monsoon wind, which is supposed to bring rain to Thailand, are causing temperatures in May and June to be higher than those in April.

Sounds like they best level Bangkok then .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, WineOh said:

it just means that I need to stock up more on beer to keep cool.

I'm chilling in my garden with my shirt off listening to tamla mowtown and loving it.

bring on the heat! 

Good lad, scorching here in korat, just poured a large sangsom coke out and cranked up David Bowie, young Americans, the hotter the Better..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

Good lad, scorching here in korat, just poured a large sangsom coke out and cranked up David Bowie, young Americans, the hotter the Better..

is right la.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

When I touch my walls on my 2 story home they are extremely warm almost bordering on hot hot. I am now looking into new reflective paint or a siding to reduce this problem

Yeah our west side walls radiate heat like Chernobyl well into the night. I would put some aluminum as a reflector but I'm afraid the neighbors would be over grilling Moo ping on the side of the house.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

In 15  years where  I am, for  about 3  years  in a row 2014-17, drought, temps over 40c often in the hot season, then 3-4  years  ago it changed to much wetter and  not  many days over 40c  now like there used to be, so  cooler and wetter.

Last couple of years in Bangkok have for sure been much cooler in April and May. 2017 was hot.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yeah our west side walls radiate heat like Chernobyl well into the night. I would put some aluminum as a reflector but I'm afraid the neighbors would be over grilling Moo ping on the side of the house.

Same here and this lines up with my upstairs bedroom. Chernobyl and my house walls comparison may be an understatement. If you were blind you could touch each wall during the day and be able to follow the sun telling the time of the day.

• Like 1