5-5yr licence renewal Banglamung DLT

Promised I would update you on the above. Good news- got it courtesy of TV poster! Bad news- if I had kept my April appointment despite DLT saying don't come I I would have got it then! Already told you of my struggle with Jomtien getting a residency cert which nearly caused a divorce! Well here's my experience getting my new licence today. As DLT said cannot do as they won't show training video contacted on advise from a v helpful TV poster the P and N Driving School to view training video and do vision tests at their establishment next to DLT.  They arranged for Doctors Cert near their Naklua office but wisely didn't help with residency cert at Jomtien! Went to their driving school near the DLT yesterday to get licence. Sat there for 2hrs till they admitted DLT not open on Queens birthday and they don't do tests on their site! They did shuffle paperwork for me in prep for DLT opening today. Best thing they did do was to queue for me today at 8am at now open DLT. Arrived and queue jumped to position 5. Went through a anti Covid shower at entrance taking my reluctant wife with me! Waited downstairs for number to be called at 8.20. Went upstairs and joined the mob! They checked paperwork which P and N had done for me which was ok. Waited for tests which I thought I wouldn't have to do. I walk with a stick so jumped the queue and was first to sit in test chair (after wife said I used a stick because I am too fat not because I can't drive!) Aced the color reaction and depth tests first time much to everyone's amazement! Moved into the video room but no video showing as we were just waiting for our passports to be returned for payment photo and licence to be completed. Left at approximately 10am. 

So 5to5 yr renewals don't get to view a training video and just have to do the color reaction and depth perception tests all of which I could have done when my licence ran out in Jan, at my April appointment, and did do today! So all that nonsense about licence renewal amnesty, training video, insurance covering lapsed licenses and DLT closed for foreigners was a complete smokescreen. Also the 2000bht paid to P and N Driving School was merely to cover arranging a Doctor's cert checking paperwork and queue jumping at DLT. Worth it OK but in the end not needed.

Mob at Jomtien Immigration DLT and Driving School all definite Wuflu risks but  in the end I got my 6yr licence despite best efforts of DLT and Immigration.

Hope this helps. All systems go exactly the same as when I last extended my license. New driving tests at the DLT booking in October!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

So all that nonsense about licence renewal amnesty, training video, insurance covering lapsed licenses and DLT closed for foreigners was a complete smokescreen. 

Yeah but as long as you have an appointment booked for renewal of your Thai DL your additional private insurance will still cover you and your motor. 

20 hours ago, monsieurhappy said:

Did you need your paperwork to book your appointment?

How long before DL runs out must you book app?

20 hours ago, petermik said:

I have my appointment at the same DLT booked for early next month...here`s hoping.

Did you book appointment online or do you have to do it in person at the DLT.

7 hours ago, andygrr said:

Did you book appointment online or do you have to do it in person at the DLT.

Online.....but you will need a Thai ID number to register.......anyones will do the rest of the form is in English.

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but as long as you have an appointment booked for renewal of your Thai DL your additional private insurance will still cover you and your motor. 

Presume your insurer confirmed this? I couldn't get mine to confirm anything! I didn't need an appointment yesterday and I was nos 5 in the queue courtesy of P and N Driving School. Point I was making is that DLT was always open for extensions without an appointment, that I didn't need to view the training video and I  could have got it extended in Jan and saved a lot of hassle.

I enquired about renewing my driving licence in Udon Thani, told training videos are online but Thai only. not being done in person currently, Advised not to worry,  to come back in 2022!

4 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Presume your insurer confirmed this? I couldn't get mine to confirm anything! I didn't need an appointment yesterday and I was nos 5 in the queue courtesy of P and N Driving School. Point I was making is that DLT was always open for extensions without an appointment, that I didn't need to view the training video and I  could have got it extended in Jan and saved a lot of hassle.

Yeah I just thought I'd mention that Roojai Insurance will still cover you if you send a copy of a booked appointment to them for renewal of DL's if your local DLT is not renewing DL's due to covid. 

I realise it's difficult for some who live a long way from their local DLT so always ring em up. 

Sukhothai was shut for DL renewals last I heard but you can still go drive thru for Road Disc & and your 1st class govt CTPL insurance. ????

On 6/5/2021 at 11:24 AM, rickudon said:

told training videos are online but Thai only

Ask a Thai speaking family member or friend to assist (do the job for you). Once completed, you will see a certificate, which you can print out and should satisfy the DLT.

The officer at our local DLT strongly suggested to use my Thai ID number (pink ID card) in order to register for the "online learning" instead of using my passport number. She also suggested, to ask a Thai speaking person to "assist".

This is how it worked for me in Mukdahan:

I walked into the local DLT last friday without having an appointment. The room was almost empty (just one more customer). In order to renew my license for another 5 years, I presented the following documents:

• my old driving license (which had expired only a few days ago) plus a copy (both sides)
  • my old passport (expired at the end of last year) plus copies of the passport page, the "permit to stay" stamp and the transfer stamps to my new passport
  • my new passport including the same copies as above 
  • a copy of the translation of my old passport (just in case because the spelling of my name in Thai characters was different on my old driving license)
  • my pink Thai ID card plus a copy of both sides
  • my yellow house book plus a copy   

The lady checked my documents, told me that I have to complete an online test before my application can be proceeded and gave me an instruction sheet in Thai language with a QR code on it. She strongly suggested to use my Thai ID number (pink ID card) in order to register instead of my passport number. She also mentioned 2 or 3 times, that the assistance of a Thai speaking person could be very helpful. 

So I left the office, drove home and asked my son "to assist". He is familiar with the procedure because he went through it a week ago in order to renew his own license.  It did not take long before the "online test" (actually watching the movie and answering 3 questions) was completed and I had a printed certificate with my Thai ID number on it in my hands.

Yesterday I walked into the DLT office again without having an appointment. This time the place was much busier than last Friday (12 to 15 people in the waiting room). The officer accepted my documents (now including the  "online test" certificate), but was not interested in the copies of my new passport, of the translation of my old one and of the old driving license.

I had to sit down and wait for about 10 minutes, before the cashier called my name in order to collect 505 Baht for my new license. Than I had to go to the photo booth, where my picture was taken and my new driving license was printed. This one does not bear my passport number anymore but my Thai ID number instead (no worries anymore after a new passport with a new passport number will be issued). It is valid for almost another 6 years.

The whole process took less than 20 minutes. 

Edited by thecaveman

1 hour ago, thecaveman said:

Thank you for your reply!

Of course you are right. So when in the wrong thread, my posting may be deleted or moved to a more appropriate thread. Sorry!  

Seems you weren't required to do the physical tests, i.e., breaking/reaction/peripheral vision tests etc?

12 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

Seems you weren't required to do the physical tests, i.e., breaking/reaction/peripheral vision tests etc?

That's right. I did not see anybody in the room, who had to do those tests before his or her license was issued.

My son told me, he had to do those tests a week ago, when he got his 2 years license renewed at the same DLT office. So it seems like sometimes it's required there and sometimes it's not.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, MrJ said:

watch 2 (identical) videos

Always good for a laugh.

Hope you had to do the reaction/eye test only once.  ????

Edited by KhunBENQ