Phuket Sandbox Updates

19 minutes ago, Andy1961 said:

So I am nearly there.  Got my O-A visa ???? issued (brilliant service from the Thai embassy in London) and flight/hotel booked for my 2 week 'quarantine' in Phuket.  I thought I would do my COE early to avoid any last minute panic but the SHA Plus hotels are not listed on the COE website, only ASQ.   Would I be right in thinking this is because the Sandbox scheme has not been entered in the Royal Gazette yet?   Not sure what that is but with 15 days to go shouldn't someone in authority be escalating this?   Or will the Government keep holding meetings and workshops until 23:59 on the 30 June?

You can't do a CoE for the Phuket Sandbox until there is a Phuket Sandbox.  There will be a Phuket Sandbox once the rules are approved by the CCSA and published as law in the Royal Gazette (not likely to happen any sooner than 18 June at the earliest).  Once that happens Royal Thai embassies and consulates will be informed and it will be possible to obtain a CoE for the Phuket Sandbox (i.e., with booking a SHA Plus hotel rather than ASQ).

You can't get the CoE for the Phuket Sandbox until they have one to give you.  Isn't this cutting it very close?  Especially for people who want to come very early in July?  Yep.

Or will the Government keep holding meetings and workshops until 23:59 on the 30 June?

I really hope not, but I can understand why you might think so. ????

You, sir, are a pioneer on the cutting (bleeding) edge of Phuket Sandbox tourism.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy1961 said:

So I am nearly there.  Got my O-A visa ???? issued (brilliant service from the Thai embassy in London) and flight/hotel booked for my 2 week 'quarantine' in Phuket.  I thought I would do my COE early to avoid any last minute panic but the SHA Plus hotels are not listed on the COE website, only ASQ.   Would I be right in thinking this is because the Sandbox scheme has not been entered in the Royal Gazette yet?   Not sure what that is but with 15 days to go shouldn't someone in authority be escalating this?   Or will the Government keep holding meetings and workshops until 23:59 on the 30 June?

Yes, they are really keeping it to the last minute to make it official as rules keep being modified. 

But hey, today is lottery day so who knows, a miracle may happen! ????

2 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Also, I read that they might require foreigners to wear trackable wristbands in Phuket. For some reason, I don't think tourists will appreciate that...

Not going to happen.  You will be expected to use an app capable of tracking such as Mor Chana or similar, but the trackable wristbands are not going to happen.  I'm not saying someone didn't actually propose the trackable wristbands "brainstorm" but reporting about it now has more to do with getting clicks and riling up one's audience than because anyone seriously believes it will happen.

26 minutes ago, Andy1961 said:

Would I be right in thinking this is because the Sandbox scheme has not been entered in the Royal Gazette yet?   Not sure what that is but with 15 days to go shouldn't someone in authority be escalating this?   Or will the Government keep holding meetings and workshops until 23:59 on the 30 June?

Yes, that's the reason.

They said they want to have 70% of the Phuket population vaccinated, doesn't look like they reach this goal. Maybe they will postpone the opening to 1st August or so.

Edited by jackdd

13 minutes ago, skatewash said:

There will be a Phuket Sandbox once the rules are approved by the CCSA and published as law in the Royal Gazette (not likely to happen any sooner than 18 June at the earliest). 

I would say not until after the 22nd when the next cabinet meeting will be. It has to be approved by them first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Yes, that's the reason.

They said they want to have 70% of the Phuket population vaccinated, doesn't look like they reach this goal. Maybe they will postpone the opening to 1st August or so.

In my opinion, much more likely because they are champion procrastinators and very comfortable with doing things at the last minute and sometimes even after the last minute.  Just look at the will they or won't they regarding selling the covid-19 extensions we go through every two months.

People worried about the 70% vaccination requirement for Phuket are perhaps not understanding that the goal as stated is for either 70% of the Phuket population to be vaccinated to the guidelines recommended by the vaccine's manufacturer (Pfizer once, everyone else twice) OR that one has received one (1) dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine.  I'm not arguing scientific basis just pointing out the goal that will govern whether Phuket is 70% vaccinated.

10 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Not going to happen.  You will be expected to use an app capable of tracking such as Mor Chana or similar, but the trackable wristbands are not going to happen.  I'm not saying someone didn't actually propose the trackable wristbands "brainstorm" but reporting about it now has more to do with getting clicks and riling up one's audience than because anyone seriously believes it will happen.

I hope you're right, that would seem redundant. Or maybe give a bracelet to people who don't have a smartphone for the app. 

11 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

At the same time France government don't think so.

Looks like @BritTim knows more about immunity than some governments of developed countries.

An antigen test is pretty good at identifying an active infection. The idea of showing a negative antigen test is to show that someone likely does not have an active infection. This is different from using testis looking for the presence or absence of antibodies as a marker of Covid-19 immunity. If you can show one study over the last year from a reputable organisation that suggests being antigen positive indicates strong immunity to Covid-19, please cite it. There was speculation very early in the pandemic that this might be the case, but it has long been known that it is a highly unreliable marker. The immune system is a lot more complex than you obviously understand.

Just now, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Important news should be released today, and hopefully if the news is good today everything will be finalized by Tuesday ????????

Would that be the important news that the sandbox scheme is only available to those on a tourist visa. Long term visa holders cannot apply?

Obviously a tweak in the rules to ensure that exactly zero people actually use the scheme.

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

Would that be the important news that the sandbox scheme is only available to those on a tourist visa. Long term visa holders cannot apply?

Obviously a tweak in the rules to ensure that exactly zero people actually use the scheme.

We are not sure yet as nothing is finalized.

But we wouldn't be extremely shocked if that were to happen, as the intention was always for tourists not residents coming back to Thailand to live.

We just have to wait and see ????.

3 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

We are not sure yet as nothing is finalized.

But we wouldn't be extremely shocked if that were to happen, as the intention was always for tourists not residents coming back to Thailand to live.

We just have to wait and see ????.

Would you fly halfway round the world to wear a wristband tracker on an island having secured a C of E from your local Thai embassy and $100k of Covid insurance? Not withstanding the fact that all bars/entertainment venues are closed.

No Western tourists for Phuket any time soon. Its a back door way of the government killing the sandbox scheme whilst saving face as they realise that its an impractical unworkable scheme that would cause far more problems than it solves.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, polpott said:

Would you fly halfway round the world to wear a wristband tracker on an island having secured a C of E from your local Thai embassy and $100k of Covid insurance? Not withstanding the fact that all bars/entertainment venues are closed.

There are some that will, but I think many will not be tourists as such, but more those foreigners intending to stay long term, finding an alternative way to enter Thailand rather than the existing ASQ, where your quarantined in a room almost 24 hours a day for 15 nights.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

The sandbox headline will be "Confirmation that Phuket has reached 70% vaccination*...'.(they won't use the word inoculation)

The reason for the * is obvious.

BTW it's not tourists that will be coming to sandbox

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

There are some that will, but I think many will not be tourists as such, but more those foreigners intending to stay long term, finding an alternative way to enter Thailand rather than the existing ASQ, where your quarantined in a room almost 24/7 for 15 nights.

The latest announcement will be that only those on a tourist visa can enter by the Phuket sandbox. Returning expats cannot return via the Phuket sand box.

You think that some genuine tourists will return via the sandbox? I predict zero.

I will be returning to Thailand mid July with a re-entry permit for my non-O (retirement). I would have 100% used the Phuket sandbox scheme. Now I have to endure 15 days quarantine in an ASQ hotel. Phuket will not be getting my custom.

Edited by polpott
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How would they know if your a returning expat. Enter visa exempt and obtain non o at immigration.

I have a valid "permission to stay" in my passport. Also need to submit your passport to the Thai Embassy for your C of E. No way round it I'm afraid.

Just now, Sheryl said:

I would nto assume there will be any visa type limitations.

Since the idea is to encourage tourism in Phuket, what does it matter? Someone living in Issan and coming in on a re-entry permit, goes to Phuket and stays in hotels there for 14 days, is still tourist income that otherwise would not have happened.

Tell that to the Thai government. its happening.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, oldcpu said:

And in the 2nd case (576 sq km)  you can go to the local shops, buy alcohol, and bring it back to your room for quiet drinking.  In the 1st case (43 sqm) no alcohol allowed.  Obviously some more differences ...

plus companion ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

I have a valid "permission to stay" in my passport. Also need to submit your passport to the Thai Embassy for your C of E. No way round it I'm afraid.

On the bright side you have or will have had received both shots of vaccine whilst in the UK so at least you are at an advantage to many of us here even if you still have to endure the expensive  government implemented scam of ASQ quarantine on your return

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

I have a valid "permission to stay" in my passport.

Also a re-entry permit I'm guessing.

You would make up small % of expats currently outside of Thailand wishing to return.

I doubt VERY much if they would exclude folk in your situation and I hope not.

Just now, Excel said:

On the bright side you have or will have had received both shots of vaccine whilst in the UK so at least you are at an advantage to many of us here even if you still have to endure the expensive  government implemented scam of ASQ quarantine on your return

It was one of the main reasons I returned to the UK. Returned on April 22nd, had my first shot the following day and get my 2nd shot tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also a re-entry permit I'm guessing.

You would make up small % of expats currently outside of Thailand wishing to return.

I doubt VERY much if they would exclude folk in your situation and I hope not.

It will exclude people in my situation. More than a strong rumour.

Read Brian Brown in the comments section and Tommy Dee's reply.

Edited by polpott