International Travel to and From Thailand - How Long to Get Sorted

Pilotman

Not sure if this is the right forum, but can anyone share their experience of how long it took (in days) to get all the requirements out of the way to travel to the UK and how long (in days) it took to get sorted out before returning? What requirements took the longest to arrange and which were the most problematic to achieve?  

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It takes as long as it takes for you to sort out the documents and apply for a visa etc.

IF you already have the correct documentation and are holding a visa or valid extension of stay then everything can be achieved very quickly.

My latest CoE applied for in March 2021 was received within 3 hours of registration.

I was already holding all the required documentation. 

IF someone has a Visa (or / and are holding a valid extension of stay etc) the slowest part of the process is perhaps securing insurance and the Certificate of Insurance Cover.

- Scanned Copy of Visa and Marriage Cert take minutes

- It took me 24 hrs to receive a Certificate of Insurance (after researching the insurance I wanted)

- It takes a few mins to book an ASQ on agoda (after someone has searched and found the place they like)

- It takes a few mins to book a flight

sorry but you misunderstood me, no doubt that was my fault in not being clearer.

I know all the requirements, for both entering the UK as a UK citizen, from Thailand and for returning to Thailand with my existing Extension and Entry Permit.  I was most interested in the time it takes to get the necessary Covid tests, bookings of aircraft to both go and get back.   Is this a one day job, as it used to be, or a 7 day job?  I have no real feel for that.  Hence my question.  

A friend of mine took his PCR test on Wednesday.

Got the negative result on Thursday.

Booked his flight and filled in the passenger locator form on Friday.

Finally booked his Day 2 & 8 tests yesterday and travelled last night via Amsterdam on KLM.

Landed in Newcastle half an hour ago.

Could have got it done all in one day if he'd wanted, but preferred to take his time.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:53 PM, richard_smith237 said:

It takes as long as it takes for you to sort out the documents and apply for a visa etc.

IF you already have the correct documentation and are holding a visa or valid extension of stay then everything can be achieved very quickly.

My latest CoE applied for in March 2021 was received within 3 hours of registration.

I was already holding all the required documentation. 

IF someone has a Visa (or / and are holding a valid extension of stay etc) the slowest part of the process is perhaps securing insurance and the Certificate of Insurance Cover.

- Scanned Copy of Visa and Marriage Cert take minutes

- It took me 24 hrs to receive a Certificate of Insurance (after researching the insurance I wanted)

- It takes a few mins to book an ASQ on agoda (after someone has searched and found the place they like)

- It takes a few mins to book a flight

- It takes a few mins to book an ASQ on agoda (after someone has searched and found the place they like)   Check the small print, it may be 17% more expensive.

If you are just talking time its easy. Going to the UK, book flight online takes minutes I recommend at this time Finnair. You need a Covid test in the 3 days before you fly. Completing the UK passenger locator form with 48 hours of flight takes minutes. Booking the 2 online Covid tests takes minutes.

From the UK as you already have visa and re entry permit all you need is $100k Covid insurance which at this time I advise you to obtain from Thailand. Getting the COE is normally very quick maximum 3 days.

Edited by jimn

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

- It takes a few mins to book an ASQ on agoda (after someone has searched and found the place they like)   Check the small print, it may be 17% more expensive.

More expensive than what?  If you're referring to the taxes and charges Agoda might add at the end of the booking process, there is now a setting whereby they are shown up front.

Just now, treetops said:

More expensive than what?  If you're referring to the taxes and charges Agoda might add at the end of the booking process, there is now a setting whereby they are shown up front.

Really! Nice to know it has changed. I used to get fed up trying to book a hotel through Agoda, then getting the price, then finding the small print which added 17% to the advertised price.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:12 PM, possum1931 said:

Really! Nice to know it has changed. I used to get fed up trying to book a hotel through Agoda, then getting the price, then finding the small print which added 17% to the advertised price.

Thats why i always use Booking.com what you see is what you pay.

• Thanks 1

from my experience:

first, you have to apply for the COE at a thai embassy . when i did that i did not get

any reply for three weeks. than i called the embassy and they told me to send the application again.

when i sent the application again i for a negative answer. the reason: no ASQ booking and no

health insurance payment,

when i told the embassy that in the first stage there is no need for those documents, they

told me OHH YES SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE. YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED.

Than i gave up. i will wait for july to return to thailand without ASQ / INSURANCE

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

no it is not required. otherwise why would tourists come?

a tourist is just a tourists. he will not budder too much for a holiday.

Insurance is required in the draft proposal presented, and even tourists travel with insurance if they have any sense.

6 hours ago, treetops said:

Insurance is required in the draft proposal presented, and even tourists travel with insurance if they have any sense.

do you have a link? i did not see a requirement for insurance, and even if so, must it be

the 100K insurance from thai company?

and about the sense for having insurance - do not come here to educate us.

we only care about the requirements.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

do you have a link? i did not see a requirement for insurance, and even if so, must it be

the 100K insurance from thai company?

A COVID-19 health insurance policy with a minimum coverage of US$100,000

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/

On 6/11/2021 at 1:35 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

and about the sense for having insurance - do not come here to educate us.

we only care about the requirements.

Thankfully you don't get to choose what others post and if you write rubbish like "a tourist is just a tourists. he will not budder too much for a holiday" (sic) you should not be surprised if you get a response.

Edited by treetops

4 hours ago, treetops said:

A COVID-19 health insurance policy with a minimum coverage of US$100,000

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/

Thankfully you don't get to choose what others post and if you write rubbish like "a tourist is just a tourists. he will not budder too much for a holiday" (sic) you should not be surprised if you get a response.

tHanks for your advice and link.

again i feel stupid...what is the point in the phuket openning if i still must have the 100K insurance? and 14 days booking in advance?

this was my main worry as i did not want to pay so much in advance for an uncertain

travel...so the only advantage of this phuket plan is that i can go out of my hotel....and still

will need to do more PCT tests on my expense, which is not so cheap...

RT-PCR test.
Every hospital in Phuket can provide an RT-PCR test;
The c

COVID-19 testing is at the travellers’ own expense.