Facebook translations

Mike k

OK... so its not just me.

I have also noticed that my Facebook account is no longer translating the comments written in Thai made by friends and family.

Anything to do with previous ‘faux-pas’ whereby facebook was unable to accurately translate, specifically the more formal Royal Thai. 

Edited by richard_smith237

yes, on the 3rd of June (holiday) evening, automatic translation on fb and instagram translated "salut" as "sl.t".

So there was "sl.t shooting" and some other offensive expressions. 

There are copies of this translation still available on fb, widely shared also on twitter

Edited by internationalism

28 minutes ago, Havefunme said:

Some one posted that someone wrote bad things about the royalty so the translation was stopped 

I figured it may have something to do with the govt blocking ip addresses because of the dissenters out of the country posting so now I know it is not just me 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Its made the marketplace on fb unusable now.

I’ve been unable to access FB Market Place for over a month now (phone and laptop).

I’d not posted any adverts or responded to any, however, I suddenly lost access. 

I went through the troubleshooting etc - but nothing worked. 

Messaged FB a couple of times with no response. 

Its a shame as I used to like browsing though items for sale, motorbikes etc.. 

• Like 1

So glad you posted this. I'm (stuck) in the UK. The translate button disappeared for me a few days ago. It's been driving me nuts because Google searches are not bringing up the answer. 

So do we think this has only happened for Thai language translations?  And is it really gov related? I'd be surprised if our 'friends' in power had any sway over FB bosses ????

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

So glad you posted this. I'm (stuck) in the UK. The translate button disappeared for me a few days ago. It's been driving me nuts

Me too, though google translation is working for me - though google translation was not working for ages recently

• Like 1

Same for me. The Thai translation option to English that used to appear on every Thai language post has not been available for the past 2 or 3 days. 

Very frustrating as I am married to a Thai a0nd have many Thai friends.

Is FB doing anything about this?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, avander said:

Same for me. The Thai translation option to English that used to appear on every Thai language post has not been available for the past 2 or 3 days. 

Very frustrating as I am married to a Thai a0nd have many Thai friends.

Is FB doing anything about this?

Well just copy and paste into Google Translate as a temp solution

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve been unable to access FB Market Place for over a month now (phone and laptop).

I’d not posted any adverts or responded to any, however, I suddenly lost access. 

I went through the troubleshooting etc - but nothing worked. 

Messaged FB a couple of times with no response. 

Its a shame as I used to like browsing though items for sale, motorbikes etc.. 

I am still able to access Marketplace. A noticeable thing is that some (vehicles section) present with an English description and original Thai. On the majority  however no translation to English is possible. I suspect some advertisers are aware of the problem so are posting details in both.

• Like 2

Now we all know been driving me crazy . don't know how many times I have reinstalled the apps for translate and Facebook .even tryed another phones. So gave up ...as some one said use the old method  of copy And paste... But what a hasel.....are there any other apps? Like Facebook to join? That will work?

Edited by yeahbutif

Same for me....I sent in a report asking for help 2 days ago = no response received or change...

This happened about 1 - 1/2 years ago and I also reported - then it came back....

It sure screws up posts from Thai's as well as marketplace....

• Like 2

It seems that this is just the latest in a long line of such occurrences.

According to an article on Thai PBS World when this happened in mid-2020, there had been similar problems earlier in the year and in 2018.

"Facebook said that it temporarily shut down the automatic translation of English to Thai, as soon as it learned of the mistake, while its technical team fixed and improved the quality of the program."

Facebook offers sincere apology to the Thai people over auto-translate error

I could send you picture but I would be banned

"Salute' was unfortunately mistranslated and evidently it upset some people????

The picture is still widely available of FB and other sites

Edited by poohy
  • Thanks 1

I used to always keep Chrome alive due to its great Translate Extension...

- anyways I am using Edge a  lot now, and just now can confirm the Edge Google Chrome Extension works fine opn Facebook pages withn Thai script...     In trhe Extension Store, I current;y using the extension shown below:

image.png.7c255526f7893b80116cdf6b72866984.png 

now upon trying it out but doesn't work - then go back into the instructions,; which detail about the needing to Refresh the target page beforehand...  

the erro page that ypou see, comprises the following guides...

image.png.22821b4fce3f738b37a758c7abc10fd7.png

an example of non translated Page,

image.png.deda1434f159c3a3ec04287ceed3e683.png

versus when Page Translation Extension Active: 

image.png.b97e292e4ad0af67ad79a66d01e28900.png

Having the correct Translate Extension Active

- renders Facebooks (very Selective) Translate functions  obsolete ???? 

• Thanks 2

I was wondering why I can't see thai translation on my fb..so it's not only me.. here I found a solution, you can open your fb on chrome just use the old version mbasic.facebook.com to log in.. then when you're in the post of your friend using thai language just click translate English, you will see it appear automatically at the screen..

20210611_011455.jpg

Edited by Ann1
sign in/log in
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1