YouTube video ads

KarenBravo

YouTube for some reason have decided to swamp posted videos with video ads. I'm seeing Lazada ads at the beginning, middle and end of a single video.

It's got so bad that some videos are virtually unwatchable.

I have tried to find a remedy for this, but nothing works so far.

Does anyone know a solution?

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yep. Painful.

Fully prepared to murder that Doodly guy.

Youtube Premium, 159 baht/month.

Casting from my phone to my TV I see no ads ever.

On my PC, ads every minute or so.

Same Google account.

I refuse to pay.

Presently testing a new extension from Chrome.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Google (owners of Youtube) seem to have ramped up their fight against adblockers. They must be dsperate for money so have really started pushing more advertising on YT.

There are lots of discussions on the internet lately about how AdBlock has stopped working against said ads.

Best to keep an eye on online for any updates on what works, or doesn't.

This offers another suggestion, but I  haven't tried it yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/gzr3cq/fyi_you_can_bypass_youtube_ads_by_adding_a_dot/

Edited by phetphet

I'm sick of that Etoro brokerage scam ad and oh yeah...the "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners" guy

Up until a few weeks ago my ad blocker used to alllow me to opt out of ads but something changed

Throughout these Covid times, I've been visually assaulted by Netflix, Foodpanda, and Lazada. I don't care how much they show me those bouncing popcorn cartoons, I'm still not interested in any Korean dramas. Some ads are even now unskippable, like Thep Thai toothpaste and those two celebrities trying to hawk it to me, while flashing plenty of shiny teeth and plastic surgery.

I'm getting tempted to shell out for YouTube Premium because of this. I certainly love my YT, much more than most mainstream entertainment these days. Other than that, I think some of the ad blocker browser extensions could take care of them, but I don't have much expertise in that area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

Google (owners of Youtube) seem to have ramped up their fight against adblockers. They must be dsperate for money so have really started pushing more advertising on YT.

There are lots of discussions on the internet lately about how AdBlock has stopped working against said ads.

Best to keep an eye on online for any updates on what works, or doesn't.

This offers another suggestion, but I  haven't tried it yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/gzr3cq/fyi_you_can_bypass_youtube_ads_by_adding_a_dot/

They have already fixed adding the dot. That doesn't work anymore. It was the first fix I tried.

I have never seen a banner ad as the blockers are effectictive (and still are), its these embedded videos that are driving me nuts.

The extension I was trying didn't work.

25 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Youtube Premium, 159 baht/month.

Exactly… this is what I get paying l59 Baht; Stop to hear and watch these unpleasant sound of Thai voices and interruptions, curiously with increased volume.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Marcous said:

uBlock Origin

An extension for chrome and works. I've not seen a single Youtube ad in 5 years.

I already have this. It is good for banner ads and pop-up ads, but doesn't work with video ads.

I really really hate to pay for anything,

but during last years lockdown I paid for YouTube Premium.

I’ll never go back to the free one, its soooooooo worth, try it for the free trial.

Or watch something else  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bolt said:

I really really hate to pay for anything,

but during last years lockdown I paid for YouTube Premium.

I’ll never go back to the free one, its soooooooo worth, try it for the free trial.

Or watch something else  

I'll give up watching YouTube before I pay for it.

Some smart nerd will eventually come up with a program to sort this out. I'll wait until then.

So far, all recommended methods, Chrome settings, Chrome extensions and adblock programs have failed. Still trying, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Youtube is owned by Google so maybe it's no good looking for adblockers there. Try Firefox extensions.

I have 'UBlock Plus' and 'Adblock Plus'. Never a problem with ads. I just don't see them using either browser. 

Also I've got 'Adblock for Youtube (YAB)' but don't know if that works as there's no counter saying how many ads are being blocked as I have the other 2 blockers running simultaneously.

I use both Safari and Chrome.

On Chrome I use two ad blocking extensions—AdBlock v4.33.0 + uBlock Origin v1.35.2 and see no YT ads.

On Safari my YT now shows ads at the start and intermittently throughout a YT video even though I have the same extensions (same developer) installed as on my Chrome browser.

Just now, bobandyson said:

Youtube is owned by Google so maybe it's no good looking for adblockers there. Try Firefox extensions.

I have 'UBlock Plus' and 'Adblock Plus'. Never a problem with ads. I just don't see them using either browser. 

Also I've got 'Adblock for Youtube (YAB)' but don't know if that works as there's no counter saying how many ads are being blocked as I have the other 2 blockers running simultaneously.

I don't see YouTube ads due to my ad blockers, but, this thread is about blocking embedded VIDEOs that are within other videos on YouTube.

Those ad blockers you mentioned do not work with these embedded videos.

1 hour ago, bolt said:

I paid for YouTube Premium.

Do you happen to know if a Family Plan (239 baht/month for five log-ons) can be shared across different locales within Thailand? I assume yes, but looking for first-hand validation.

I download most of the longer videos to watch from the disk.

Use WinX Youtube downloader.

Download speeds from 100 to 400 Mbit/s.

If 3BB throttles(?) I use VPN to Singapore.

Then watch with VLC.
Much easier control of the playback (fast forward/browse).

For short/funny stuff I copy/paste the link to VLC directly (CTRL-N / CTRL -V).

Disadvantage of this method: can play only up to 720p.

(I tried misc methods to come around and see 1080p with VLC to no avail)

Now wait until Google finds a way to block these methods ????

Last resort: command line utility "youtube-dl" for downloading. Inconvenient.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, Marcous said:

uBlock Origin

An extension for chrome and works. I've not seen a single Youtube ad in 5 years.

I never see ads either. Firefox and uBlock Origin with advanced settings enabled.
For YouTube I block 3rd-party scripts and 3rd-party frames. I have Google.com blocked globally and YouTube still works fine with Google blocked.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Last resort: command line utility "youtube-dl" for downloading. Inconvenient.

I use youtube-dl pretty much daily. I have a batch file that I use and just paste in the video URL between the quotation marks.

The batch file lives in C:\VideoDownload with a shortcut on my desktop. I comment out :: some lines and just use them if I want to do multiple downloads adding extra lines if necessary. Looks like this:

CD "C:\VideoDownload"

youtube-dl ""
::youtube-dl ""
::youtube-dl ""

@pause

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you happen to know if a Family Plan (239 baht/month for five log-ons) can be shared across different locales within Thailand? I assume yes, but looking for first-hand validation.

i share the family package, so yes it works, its a pain to set up, but yes it does work

my 3 girls have no idea how it works, but we don't see any embedded Ad's