YouTube video ads

KarenBravo

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Link? Or developer?

This one? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-for-video/keomddcbfhldkdjccmjkahffklklnhjp

Most of these just 'block' pre-rolls.

No, that isn't the one. The one I installed is called AdBlock Pro for YouTube.

So far, it has blocked all advertising videos, whether they start at the beginning, or in the middle of the video you are watching.

Since installation, I haven't seen a single video ad.

Edited by KarenBravo

The only method (aside from youtube premium subscription) is the combination of an Asus router, Merlin firmware AND Diversion, a shell script application to manage ad-blocking.

Its the only know method of blocking youtube ads.

https://diversion.ch/diversion/diversion.html

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, catturd said:

The only method (aside from youtube premium subscription) is the combination of an Asus router, Merlin firmware AND Diversion, a shell script application to manage ad-blocking.

It's obviously not "the only method".

Read my post above yours.

I have an ad blocker for banner ads and pop-ups. Another for video ads. They both work and they are both available from the Google Web-store and are used as an extension.

Therefore, your post is wrong.

• Thanks 1

Wow there is so much misinformation and confusion in this thread that I'm wary of posting anything. But here goes. Let me preface with this, if anyone quotes me and says I'm wrong, just ignore them (because they are wrong). Do what I say, and you'll be safe from YouTube ads forever.

If you're on a PC/Mac, get yourself Chrome or Firefox and install the 'uBlock Origin' browser extension, there are direct links here on their Wiki. Simply install it and by default it will block all Youtube banner ads and video ads. All of them. 100%. If anyone here says any different, they are doing it wrong, or more likely have some other nefarious software installed on their machine which is conflicting in some way. uBlock Origin has always has worked, and it still works. It is the recognized gold standard and is by far the most popular ad blocking technology worldwide. And honestly, it is not a difficult thing to install, it takes less than 20 seconds to click on that link and download, then you're done. Plus it will block all ads on Facebook and Google and everywhere else on the web, including this very web site, which looks more like a Blade Runner dystopian nightmare without any ad blocker. But of course, you definitely should whitelist ThaiVisa and allow all their banner ads through, because we love Thaivisa and want to support them, right?

I would not recommend ANY other ad blocking software because they either may monitor your traffic for nefarious reasons, contain their own ads, or whitelist certain websites who pay them to not be blocked, or most likely of all, they will simply not work as well. Many people confuse uBlock Origin with similarly named plugins that are trying to scam or fool you in one way or another. Be careful! Use the link above and the correct download link for your browser will be right there.

If you want to go the extra mile and also get rid of sponsored sections of videos (like vloggers who plug NordVPN, Skillshare, etc) then you will also need Sponsor Block. The database is crowd sourced so coverage is not 100% for brand spanking new videos, but you can participate by submitting sponsored sections yourself. You only need this plugin to block sponsored sections, not everyone cares about or needs this additional level of blocking.

If you are on iOS, sorry you are out of luck as there are no simple solutions for blocking YT ads on iOS short of jailbreaking it. Have a go with Adblock Luna if you're comfortable with someone else potentially monitoring your YT browsing, many people claim it works. I've never tested it.

Android phone users have several options such as NewPipe or YouTube Vanced. If you have Android TV (Google TV) either built into your TV or as a media player, have a look at SmartTubeNext. Depending on your device it may install easily or not at all.

Edited by clokwise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2021 at 3:03 PM, clokwise said:

If you're on a PC/Mac, get yourself Chrome or Firefox and install the 'uBlock Origin' browser extension

It can be used with the Edge browser also.

An informative video demonstrates using uBlock Origin in advanced user mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lisQQmWQkY

In addition to blocking JavaScript and globally blocking google, facebook, yahoo, twitter etc. I use the 'hard mode' which is explained in the video. Also explained is simple and medium mode.

A nice feature is the built in logger that you can use to see what is getting blocked and why its blocked and make an exception if necessary. The cosmetic filtering using the element picker to remove unwanted or annoying items on webpages is really nice too.

I don't know if this makes any difference-but I run through FireFox, I don't seem to get may adds, although if I look at Poker games through FB there are some--but aren't they embedded ?

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

if you want a really "hard mode" but which is actually intuitive and very simple once you get used to it - try uMatrix from the very same developer.

That project has been abandoned, at least for the time being.

"uMatrix development has ended Raymond Hill, known online as gorhill, has set the status of the uMatrix GitHub repository to archived; this means that it is read-only at the time and that no updates will become available."

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/20/umatrix-development-has-ended/

On 6/6/2021 at 7:44 AM, KarenBravo said:

YouTube for some reason have decided to swamp posted videos with video ads. I'm seeing Lazada ads at the beginning, middle and end of a single video.

It's got so bad that some videos are virtually unwatchable.

I have tried to find a remedy for this, but nothing works so far.

Does anyone know a solution?

Yes, there's an answer, pay for Premium instead of whinging about ads that allow you to have free entertainment!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 6/6/2021 at 8:03 AM, mtls2005 said:

Yep. Painful.

Fully prepared to murder that Doodly guy.

Youtube Premium, 159 baht/month.

Casting from my phone to my TV I see no ads ever.

On my PC, ads every minute or so.

Same Google account.

How do you cast? What's the best method?

On 6/6/2021 at 9:56 AM, KarenBravo said:

I'll give up watching YouTube before I pay for it.

If you had a YouTube channel would you be happy to provide your content to everyone, free of charge and without receiving any income for it?   

There is no reason for anyone to have a YT channel except as a source of income and the ads provide that revenue so that cheapskates (I'm not referring to you, obviously) who refuse to pay have something to occupy themselves with at other people's expense.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 9:11 AM, KarenBravo said:

So far, it has blocked all advertising videos, whether they start at the beginning, or in the middle of the video you are watching.

Since installation, I haven't seen a single video ad.

How can you know that there were any ads to block?!  

On 6/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, catturd said:

When I use Youtube with Firefox I don't have issues with too many ads. ???? Adblock Plus on laptop and Ublock origin on phones (Adblock extension is not available for phones).

If you watch it via TV there is no way to stop the ads, unless you trick the TV to go via transparent proxy with adblocker installed there.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, KeeTua said:

I use youtube-dl pretty much daily. I have a batch file that I use and just paste in the video URL between the quotation marks.

The batch file lives in C:\VideoDownload with a shortcut on my desktop. I comment out :: some lines and just use them if I want to do multiple downloads adding extra lines if necessary. Looks like this:

CD "C:\VideoDownload"

youtube-dl ""
::youtube-dl ""
::youtube-dl ""

@pause

You can use youtube-dl with playlists too. Also youtube is "adaptive" relatively to the speed of your link, if you are on slower link you'll be served lower res version. However with youtube-dl you can override this and pull the highest res video available.

2 hours ago, KeeTua said:

That project has been abandoned, at least for the time being.

"uMatrix development has ended Raymond Hill, known online as gorhill, has set the status of the uMatrix GitHub repository to archived; this means that it is read-only at the time and that no updates will become available."

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/09/20/umatrix-development-has-ended/

so what? it was a finished, working product several years ago already.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:10 AM, KarenBravo said:

I refuse to pay.

Presently testing a new extension from Chrome.

"So... a coffee, a sandwich and an orange juice. It's 350 baht ma'am"

KB: " I refuse to pay...and your coffee is cr*p!"  *Spits on the floor*

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How can you know that there were any ads to block?!  

So.....I get the last laugh. No ads and I don't pay.

How do I know there were ads to block? My ad blocker shows the number being blocked.

You want to be Google's bitch, you go right ahead.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you had a YouTube channel would you be happy to provide your content to everyone, free of charge and without receiving any income for it?   

There is no reason for anyone to have a YT channel except as a source of income and the ads provide that revenue so that cheapskates (I'm not referring to you, obviously) who refuse to pay have something to occupy themselves with at other people's expense.

You really are ignorant on this subject, aren't you?

The YouTuber gets nothing from these ads. It's not their ads and they don't place them anywhere. The ads are from Google.

YouTubers make money from subscriptions and Patreon.

Educate yourself before spouting rubbish.

What I do and how I do it with regard to the internet is none of your business.

• Haha 1