YouTube video ads

KarenBravo

20 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

You really are ignorant on this subject, aren't you?

The YouTuber gets nothing from these ads. It's not their ads and they don't place them anywhere. The ads are from Google.

YouTubers make money from subscriptions and Patreon.

Educate yourself before spouting rubbish.

What I do and how I do it with regard to the internet is none of your business.

Wrong, YouTubers get from 0 to 15000 dollars every million views just for ads (banners, pre roll videos and display ads). The amount depends on the topic and country but we can say the is average 4 dollars every 1000 views. For example if you had a VPN (oh no, you must pay for it!) you could connect from let's say..BHUTAN and you wouldn't see any advertisements because no advertisers bid for that country (just a random example). Source: I well know this! 

Just now, Sundown said:

Wrong, YouTubers get from 0 to 15000 dollars every million views just for ads (banners, pre roll videos and display ads). The amount depends on the topic and country but we can say the is average 4 dollars every 1000 views. For example if you had a VPN (oh no, you must pay for it!) you could connect from let's say..BHUTAN and you wouldn't see any advertisements because no advertisers bid for that country (just a random example). Source: I well know this! 

I have a free VPN. Does that make you angry? I hope so.

32 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That's your personal choice. I'd rather not see them. That's my personal choice.

Technically that's stealing. I don't judge because internet is a grey area but I wouldn't go around loud and proud like you are doing! Also the ad blockers collect your internet browsing (check the fine print when you install them) and they can use that feature to sell your data back to advertisers networks (they can = they do it. Huge amount of money to be made). Remember that the pigs eat for free only for one reason!

Edited by Sundown

4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I have a free VPN. Does that make you angry? I hope so.

Luckily I well know that free VPNs use your internet connection for illegal purposes which I don't have time to explain otherwise you would have to pay me for the lesson. I suppose you are aware of this. If you are not paying, you are the product.

9 hours ago, fdsa said:

so what? it was a finished, working product several years ago already.

It's a browser extension that remains static with no updates going forward as the browser and internet technologies continue to evolve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

You really are ignorant on this subject, aren't you?

The YouTuber gets nothing from these ads. It's not their ads and they don't place them anywhere. The ads are from Google.

Educate yourself before spouting rubbish.

What I do and how I do it with regard to the internet is none of your business.

If YT didn't make money via advertising, do you think they would still be paying the creators of popular YT channels $$$?

You're technically correct that revenue from the ads does not flow directly to the creators.  The actual effect is that they get at least some of the money from that revenue stream.

I don't care about what money and where it goes to.

This thread was about blocking advertising videos on YouTube.

The problem has been solved, so, there really isn't any reason for anyone to continue posting on this thread, unless it's for an argument. Go ahead.......fill your boots, but not with me. I'm outta here.

It's not so much the ads themselves, pre-rolls: fine, sponsorship: fine, in video pitch by channel owner: fine. All those are OK.

It's the constant, repetitive (like very 2 minutes) in-video ads that's killing me. For me, I get this Doodly ad hundreds of times per day, this started a few weeks ago.

As a consumer I can choose to unsubscribe to channels, and give videos a thumbs-down if the ads are annoying. Same as adding people here to the Ignore list.

For those who asked: Often I cast YT from my phone to my TV via Chromecast. This works better than the YT app on my TV. ( I also cast Netflix from phone to Chromecast, better than my TV's NF app. My phone acts as the "remote".) When I do this I see ZERO ads. No clue why as I am using the same Google account as I do on my PC.

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

YouTubers can make lots of money from the ads that interrupt their videos.  Having subscribers does not, on it's own, make them any money and those without Patreon also make money...from the ads!

4 hours ago, KeeTua said:

It's a browser extension that remains static with no updates going forward as the browser and internet technologies continue to evolve.

it does not need updates as it works with browser requests on the low level that is very unlikely to change soon.

so if you want a plugin that just works - you could try uMatrix, if you want frequent updates for the sake of updates - you could try Windows 10.

5 hours ago, Sundown said:

Technically that's stealing.

javascript ads slow down my computer and steal the CPU time, raising my electricity usage and monthly bills. Technically ads are stealing from me.

5 hours ago, Sundown said:

Also the ad blockers collect your internet browsing (check the fine print when you install them) and they can use that feature to sell your data back to advertisers networks

you are confusing fake adblockers such as "adblock" with real adblockers such as "uBlock", please do your research before posting bullshít.

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

so if you want a plugin that just works - you could try uMatrix, if you want frequent updates for the sake of updates - you could try Windows 10.

Its worth noting what the developer of uBlock Origin and uMatrix stated in 2016:
"The truth is that I am not using uMatrix anymore, I use uBO in medium mode. With 3rd-party cookies and all plugins blocked by default in browser, this is really what works for me."

but goes on to say:
"It's not because I do not use it myself others should mimic me. The way I was using uMatrix was usually to create rules not more granular than domain level. When used this way, uBO is probably a better match."
gorhill https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/umatrix-help.388516/

So up to you. But for the average computer user uBO is going to be the better pick. You can run it as is without touching any settings or you can toughen it up to different degrees. If you choose to use the built in logger I think the rules, which you can create within the logger itself, are to the granular level of uMatrix. The only thing missing is cookie management but that can be handled by the browser or a separate addon.

3 hours ago, fdsa said:

javascript ads slow down my computer and steal the CPU time, raising my electricity usage and monthly bills. Technically ads are stealing from me.

you are confusing fake adblockers such as "adblock" with real adblockers such as "uBlock", please do your research before posting bullshít.

Websites have costs and no one invited you there. If js is slowing down your computer you are probably using windows 95, I understand you.

Ublock permissions required: 

Access your data for all websites

Access browser tabs

Stores unlimited amount of client-side data

Access browser activity during navigation

????????

10 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Websites have costs and no one invited you there. If js is slowing down your computer you are probably using windows 95, I understand you.

Ublock permissions required: 

Access your data for all websites

Access browser tabs

Stores unlimited amount of client-side data

Access browser activity during navigation

????????

compare

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+ublock+sell+users+data

with

https://www.google.com/search?q=does+adblock+sell+users+data

????????