12 year old LG TV what best set top box

ChrisKC

I have spent a long time here looking for threads I am sure exist but a search has proved completely fruitless.

My old LG smart TV has just been set up and works absolutely fine but I am now looking for a set top box that will allow me to watch in English a few sports from UK and Europe, Documentaries.

I am very OK with doing the research myself from existing threads so if someone could find me a link that will be good.

I have a feeling that my old TV may prove to be a problem of some sort relating to its main board technology.

Thank you for your time.

27 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I have a feeling that my old TV may prove to be a problem of some sort relating to its main board technology.

The Tv will not be a problem it will just be displaying the picture/sound   the "set top box"

is doing all the complicated stuff.

Using an old PC is of course possible but they tend to be noisy and power hungry compared to a dedicated set top box.

I have no recommendations  for a fully loaded box as I just use a raspberry pi 4  running libreelec/Kodi.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cheap Pc is best, the set top boxes always have problems.

An Intel NUC with a Celeron CPU @ about Bht 4k would solve everything. HDMI out into the telly.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cheap Pc is best, the set top boxes always have problems.

I have a new PC - if I can organise wifi will that allow me to do what I want without a set top box?

3 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I have a new PC - if I can organise wifi will that allow me to do what I want without a set top box?

You need to setup some kind of video player /  media center software on your TV - if your TV smart enough to do that, then you can. You could run a hdmi cable from your PC if you wanted to, maybe you have 2x hdmi ports on your PC.

I bought a fireTV because I wanted a cheap android interface for my Samsung Tizen TV, it’s alright, I wouldn’t buy another, but that will run iplayer, Netflix, YouTube, media players.

The wife has a 3bb box that she can watch Thai TV, that is just an android box, you can download apps onto that and plugs into the TV.  We pay 100B a month for the privilege. 

A lot depends upon your budget, some people have invidia shields, they are considered the best as far as I know .. Apple TV if you use Apple devices?

How are you going to get these sports and documentaries, via a VPN? 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

that will allow me to watch in English a few sports from UK and Europe, Documentaries.

6 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Depends how you intend accessing the sport and documentaries.

I use a Win10 Asus mini-PC connected to my TV via HDMI which works fine. I use it mainly for watching UK TV via BBC iPlayer or CH4 All4, with NordVPN, that and movies and TV series in my library that I've downloaded over torrent.

I've used Kodi to access streaming content, and the Windows version works fine, but it's a pain now trying to keep up with what addons work. So Kodi I only use to access my own library of movies, TV series and music.

However, If you're needing an Android app to access content then a PC isn't so good, sure you can use an emulator like BlueStacks but I consider them dodgy and buggy.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, KannikaP said:

An Intel NUC with a Celeron CPU @ about Bht 4k would solve everything. HDMI out into the telly.

2nd this.  I've used a Celeron powered NUC as a TV source for 2 years now without a problem.  4K baht can get a basic NUC but you'll probably spend 2K more on memory and an ssd.  You may also need to install Windows.

22 minutes ago, dddave said:

2nd this.  I've used a Celeron powered NUC as a TV source for 2 years now without a problem.  4K baht can get a basic NUC but you'll probably spend 2K more on memory and an ssd.  You may also need to install Windows.

Windows can be downloaded from Microsoft, and a key will cost you about £3 on Ebay. Or Linux.

Edited by KannikaP

I use my Android phone, Huawei P20 with a USB-C HDMI hub. Works if you're like me and plug your phone in when you come home, but of course not for constant use by everybody.

If you're on True Move like me, their TrueID app is great. All the Thai TV channels, premium channels for a few hundred baht a month, and Premier League football packages. It's legit, and thus I always get solid streams. I'd rather not mess with the flaky, pirate IPTV stuff.

Mini PC fans, the Asus PN50 with the new Ryzen chip has received rave reviews, great for some gaming, around 15k baht. I'll be picking one up after saving a few months.