Pay for costly Lazada order by credit card or bank transfer?

Crossy

OK COD is not an option!

I'm about to shell on some fairly costly items on Lazada (65k Baht). Is there any real advantage (payment protection) paying with my Thai based credit card rather than straight from my Bank account.

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Is the savings so significant or isn't it available at a normal store that you consider doing this?

Less available and overpriced in the Thai retail environment.

I have used the seller(s) in question before with no issues I'm just determining which is the safer of the payment routes. Both are equally convenient.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emeraldisle said:

Does your credit card company have a "chargeback" facility?

There is definitely a "dispute a charge" facility (Citi Thailand) but I've never actually had to use it. Which is of course why I'm posting here hopefully for someone with actual experience with a Thai based card.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean or if you are asking me. If by charge back you mean any goods purchased value over £100 they are responsible to reimburse me if the seller goes bust, then yes. But not sure if that would apply for anything bought overseas e.g. from Lazada.

Sorry, just realised your question may have been aimed at Crossy.

Edited by Tmoney
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I assumed it was, but any and all input is welcomed.

I could use my UK card (do Lazada still accept offshore cards?) where I know that there is protection in place (but does it actually apply to foreign purchases for offshore delivery), but then we contend with exchange rates (twice as my salary is in THB) and "overseas transaction" fees. Keeping everything in Baht is most preferable.

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I could use my UK card (do Lazada still accept offshore cards?)

My US Chase Visa Signature works. Takes charges in THB at the daily exchange rate to USD, with no extra fee. The added perk is that I get Amazon points. Expensive to have Amazon stuff sent here, so I buy stuff for mom, free or discounted with my Amazon points.

That'd be the main reason I'd recommend using your home country card, if you get any perks with it. But I'd personally be afraid of having to contest international charges for large amounts with them.

• Like 1

All excellent input chaps, thanks muchly.

The items in question are not easily counterfeited and probably not worth counterfeiting anyway (very low throughput although they are potentially high margin).

I could get the same items from my favourite AliExpress seller but then we have the issues with duty/VAT etc etc.

All good fun!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Not sure what you mean or if you are asking me. If by charge back you mean any goods purchased value over £100 they are responsible to reimburse me if the seller goes bust, then yes. But not sure if that would apply for anything bought overseas e.g. from Lazada.

You are quoting Section 75 of the UK CCA which applies only to UK credit cards, no matter the country of purchase but does not apply to Thai Credit cards, which the OP intends to use.

Edited by fangless
  • Like 2

My default position when paying for anything with a Thai debit or credit card would be caution; there are too many anecdotal stories of the customer being stiffed when things go pear shaped for my liking, and credit cards in particular do not seem to offer the protections that are afforded in the UK. I'd go for bank transfer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

All excellent input chaps, thanks muchly.

The items in question are not easily counterfeited and probably not worth counterfeiting anyway (very low throughput).

Would you be willing to say what these items are? Can they be bought locally at all?

1 minute ago, fangless said:

You are quoting Section 75 of the UK CCA which does not apply to Thai Credit cards which the OP intends to use.

Does it apply to offshore purchases for overseas delivery using UK cards? Could still be a viable route.

If your card has the Visa/Mastercard/Amex logo on it then you are protected by their rules, including their chargeback ones which are in addition to the legal protection of the Section 75 UK law mentioned above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I must admit I'd not even considered using my UK card but, despite the potential exchange rate issues, could be in there with the potential options.

Not only the exchange rate, but many UK banks add a "foreign transaction fee" as well.

3 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I have a British friend who spent a few months in India, and used his Visa to pay for many things. He got stiffed at least twice when booking hotels and he was able to get a chargeback. Both times the same transaction went through twice.

India is one of the worst countries to use a regular debit or credit card. Far better to use a 'load' card like Wise (TransferWise), where the amount charged cannot exceed the balance pre-loaded. I got the runaround in India a couple of years ago from Paypal after two hotel payments went through, despite being 'not authorised' on the app. I never did get the money back, but it wasn't a great deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

India is one of the worst countries to use a regular debit or credit card. Far better to use a 'load' card like Wise (TransferWise), where the amount charged cannot exceed the balance pre-loaded. I got the runaround in India a couple of years ago from Paypal after two hotel payments went through, despite being 'not authorised' on the app. I never did get the money back, but it wasn't a great deal.

When abroad, I only ever pay by card if there is no other option. Much better to run to the ATM, withdraw cash and pay that way. It's just too easy for an unscrupulous employee to harvest your card details and watch you entering the pin. Back home it's very easy to just call your bank when there's a problem and get it dealt with, but here it's a lot more difficult and frustrating. Even the English-speaking call handlers at a Thai banks are not fluent in English and misunderstand things.

So my rules are always to pay with cash unless there really is no other option, always buy online with cash on delivery, and assume that if something can go wrong, it probably will.

Edited by BenDeCosta

9 minutes ago, fangless said:

Yes.  The purchase can be from anywhere in the world as long as you pay at least £100, even if that is only the deposit. 

Even if you only put 1p on the card, Section 75 covers you for the full purchase price providing it's over £100 (max £30,000).

• Like 1

Just now, treetops said:

Even if you only put 1p on the card, Section 75 covers you for the full purchase price providing it's over £100 (max £30,000).

That may be so, but try as a foreigner winning a dispute with a bank; as in so many things, the practice in Thailand is very often different from the theory.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Pottinger said:

That may be so, but try as a foreigner winning a dispute with a bank; as in so many things, the practice in Thailand is very often different from the theory.

Nothing to do with being a foreigner.  We are talking about using a UK CC on your UK bank account to buy something in a foreign country, just as if you were in the UK/being on holiday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fangless said:

Nothing to do with being a foreigner.  We are talking about using a UK CC on your UK bank account to buy something in a foreign country, just as if you were in the UK/being on holiday.

Actually no; if you read the thread from the beginning you will see the discussion was initially about the merits or otherwise of using different Thai payment methods.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

Provided each item costs more than £100.  I.e  two items at £60 each on the one bill are NOT covered.

• Like 1