External Hard Drive Recommendation?

ricklev

24 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

With the fake external drives that seem to be all over the place, when you plug it in and go to properties, it will show as the advertised capacity, actually a little bit below because it's always like that. But then you try writing a large file to it and it will just not work. There are many videos on YouTube, heres one:

I'm pretty sure I bought it from the actual Seagate Thailand shop on Shopee.  If not, with 7,000 5 star reviews and almost 20,000 sold, they earned my money for the complexity of their scam.  https://shopee.co.th/seagate_th?categoryId=55&itemId=2309105008

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roger That said:

Not for a few hundred baht you didn't. I'm afraid your username has proved to be accurate in this instance!

i actually read about that and checked space while plugged in, its valid, otoh i cant remember how much i paid for it, it comes with 4 connections in different sizes

from standard USB to the size of the phone plugin.

in any case, it sure wasnt much or i would have opted for a smaller

18 minutes ago, scammed said:

i actually read about that and checked space while plugged in, its valid, otoh i cant remember how much i paid for it, it comes with 4 connections in different sizes

from standard USB to the size of the phone plugin.

in any case, it sure wasnt much or i would have opted for a smaller

Space when plugged in is meaningless - it will report stated size but will not record anything beyond what it actually is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Space when plugged in is meaningless - it will report stated size but will not record anything beyond what it actually is.

Yup, and when it reaches that size it will overwrite the stuff already on it, probably corrupting it also.

Plenty of these fakes on Lazada, search for “ flash drive 2tb “ , unbelievable that Lazada allows these blatant fakes to be sold.

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

this is how it look and probably the one i bought

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/amorus-flash-drive-1tb-4-in-1-micro-usb-type-c-lighing-usb-30-1tb-usb-stick-flash-memory-usbiphone-xs-androidpc-i1678216111-s4709160191.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.5b5629e4ENPAcD&search=1

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If you decide on a WD or Seagate, Big C usually has some deals on the older models.

Saw these today:

A9CEC799-CC66-4D8D-B2C3-4B5945A8352B.thumb.jpeg.961d2ee0a4483b7a574bc74cce06b0ac.jpeg

Funny.  I actually tried to buy the 1790 baht Seagate at Big C Rajadamri today. Unfortunately they could not find the tool or key used to unlock the cord on the plastic box which was attached to the display shelf. 

So they came up with the idea that they were going to take the whole shelf off and take it to the cash register where I guess they had some magnetic tool.

First they slammed all the plastic boxes down, literally forcefully knocked them over, to facilitate removing the shelf. Then they dropped all of the plastic boxes with the external drives onto the cashier's table pretty forcefully, at which point I just turned around and walked away. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, scammed said:

Who da thunk it was possible!   ????

Edited by ricklev

1 hour ago, scammed said:

As your name suggests - scammed - Try loading 1TB of data on to it. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As your name suggests - scammed - Try loading 1TB of data on to it. 

I think I read here many times in the Lazada threads, that if you order from LazMall that you can trust it will be genuine.

That 1Tb drive Scammed linke to is from LazMall, so must be genuine.

Please order 10 for me as well

25 minutes ago, Susco said:

I think I read here many times in the Lazada threads, that if you order from LazMall that you can trust it will be genuine.

I think thats a stretch....  There are fakes on Amazon too....

The only real way to check is to try to load on 1TB of data (on to a drive which is claimed to have a 1TB capacity) to find out if the claimed drive size is in fact genuine. 

i decided to load it to see how much capacity,

i got 2 folders that together is above 270 GB,

meaning if it fits, its at least 0.5 TB USB,

but here is the catch, it says its going to take a day to transfer

18 minutes ago, scammed said:

i decided to load it to see how much capacity,

i got 2 folders that together is above 270 GB,

meaning if it fits, its at least 0.5 TB USB,

but here is the catch, it says its going to take a day to transfer

Yup, the write speed on these will be slow, try loading various small  files as in the video Richard posted .

You probably have a 8 or 16gb drive, load some small files up to 4gb and check them, then 8gb and 16gb etc until the files become corrupted to determine its size.

10 hours ago, scammed said:

There's a simple way to verify it. Download and run h2wtest. That will let you know if the capacity is genuine or not.

I do this as a matter of course for every flash drive/sd card I buy from anywhere. Fakes have even been known to make it into big retailers from time to time.

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

There's a simple way to verify it. Download and run h2wtest. That will let you know if the capacity is genuine or not.

I do this as a matter of course for every flash drive/sd card I buy from anywhere. Fakes have even been known to make it into big retailers from time to time.

it says 1020705 MByte,

or do i have to press write + verify button too ?

that <deleted> is going to take 22 hours

Edited by scammed

7 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Heck, why not?  Just for sh#ts and giggles.

nah... its 250 pesetas, buy it, download that program, and press that button to satisfy your curiosity.

if nothing else you got an USB that works with the phone too

on a sidenote the fkn rar program that came installed on my laptop is in thai, life sux

Edited by scammed
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, scammed said:

it says 1020705 MByte,

or do i have to press write + verify button too ?

that <deleted> is going to take 22 hours

If it's going to take 22 hours then that's a good indicator that it's fake. Is it plugged into a USB 2 or 3 port? Hell if it's fake it make be using an old 1.1 interface so the USB port would make no difference.

Anyway running the test is the only way to be 100% sure it's a fake(99% sure already...) so just run the test in the background and look forward to waking up to the results tomorrow.

On 6/6/2021 at 6:56 PM, Surelynot said:

I would go solid state drive SSD.......and to hell with the expense.

External SSD?

And what advantage do you expect?

What interface/connector will take advantage of the speed?

And for backing up big data conventional HDs are still preferred.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

External SSD?

Still preferred by who?

Connection to my SSD is via USB-C.... Partitioned 1TB SSD... one partition used as a ‘Time Machine’ for backups of my MAC’s disk image the other partition is for everything else.

A few years ago I was away travelling - I had movies and backups etc on my Portable hard drive which I accidentally dropped. It stopped working straight away and I lost all the movies I had. 

For those who travel frequently a solid state drive with no disk, no moving parts is a better more reliable option. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 6:24 PM, ricklev said:

Can I get a 3 or 4 TB drive in that price range?

4 TB for 3000 Baht?

That will be tough to find.

In Germany brand name products cost about 85 Euro+ (3200 Baht).

And usually prices in Thailand are higher.

3 TB for 3k might work.

Don't buy online.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Connection to my SSD is via USB-C.... Partitioned 1TB SSD... one partition used as a ‘Time Machine’ for backups of my MAC’s disk image the other partition is for everything else.

All fine if price does not matter and one has a USB-C.

I stick to the question of the OP.

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

External SSD?

I guess the big thing for me is we travel around a lot.......my 2TB (I think?) seems almost weightless, about the size of two credit cards and needs no external power supply, cables, plugs etc.

Screen Shot 2564-06-08 at 05.15.07.jpg

Edited by Surelynot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I guess the big thing for me is we travel around a lot.......my 2TB (I think?) seems almost weightless, about the size of two credit cards and needs no external power supply, cables, plugs etc.

I see the advantage when traveling.

But my external HD is well locked in the closet after updating data from the PC.

It's a backup media for me.

Only the OP can detail his requirements.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, scammed said:

If you look at the negative reviews, one claims that the device is USB 2  rather than 3 (hence the slow download) and another that the capacity is only around 20GB after which it will overwrite and corrupt already saved files.

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

I only have a laptop...again traveling around......the one I have now is USB 3 (C-Type are they called???) plugs straight in to the laptop.

and needs no external power supply, cables, plugs etc.

Just now, KannikaP said:

and needs no external power supply, cables, plugs etc.

Correct....takes its power through the USB 3 from the laptop.....very convenient.......would never consider using a HDD now.....the SSD's cost, but worth it.