Police step up investigation into mystery deaths of Thai billionaires on Koh Tao

webfact

564000005587101.jpg

Picture: Manager

Police are accelerating the investigation into the deaths of a Thai-Indian couple who were found drowned in a pool on Koh Tao.

Officers from Thailand’s Crime Suppression Division (CSD) have now joined the investigation into the deaths of  the couple, which local police said were caused by drowning.

Rakeshwar Sachathamakul, 59, and wife Anshoo, 55 were found dead in a swimming pool at a resort on Koh Tao on Saturday. The couple had been visiting Koh Tao with their 34 year old son, who found his parent’s bodies in the pool.

564000005587102.jpg

Picture: Manager

There were no witnesses and CSD investigators are examining CCTV footage from the resort.

The investigation will also focus on if there was any foul play involved or if the couple had a business conflict with anyone.

Manager reported the couple’s family showed no suspicions about the deaths.

Mr Rakeshwar was described as a billionaire by Thai media and is understood to own a Novotel Hotel in Kamala beach, Phuket and the Bangkapi Mansion apartments on Sukhumvit Soi 12. He also owned businesses in Rayong and Prachinburi which manufactured parts for the automotive industry.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-07

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Electric-shock drowning happens when an electric current, typically low-level AC current from boats, docks, or lights, "escapes" and shocks nearby swimmers. The shock paralyzes them, so they can’t swim or help themselves.

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/news/20190722/electric-shock-drowning-silent-killer

My guess is thats what they will find , no other logical reason , if not killed and drowning two people is not an easy method to kill someone 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

What about a odd strike of lightning? That pic sure looks like it is a high open place and if the lightning didn't hit them physically, they might not show any physical burns, etc.  What was the weather there like that day? it could have knocked them out for bit, just enough to drown.

OH: it was raining that's how they drowned

39 minutes ago, BB1955 said:

My guess is thats what they will find , no other logical reason , if not killed and drowning two people is not an easy method to kill someone 

With a supposed gardener's power cord it's much too easy

• Like 2

Would have thought by now any decent coroner would have been able to tell if they were electrocuted , drowned or had some form of pharmaceutical in their system.

There is the possibility of the pool system drain dragging them down , but how viable this actually is I’m not sure . It was blamed as the reason for a family before drowning in Europe somewhere a few months ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

I think what they mean when saying "they are accelerating the investigation" is that now officers from CSD have joined the investigation then more bigger brown envelopes have to be handed out very quickly ????

I think they dont trust the local police given their questionable history. 

I wonder if Big Joke will be back on the scene (once he has a haircut and all his media banners are ready for the big show).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Wow. A double drowning. It does happen if someone who can’t swim tries to rescue someone in trouble, there was a case in London recently, although you can’t compare the River Thames and a resort pool.

Let’s hope the CCTV was working and police are motivated to ensure a thorough investigation. 

Police , motivated and thorough investigation . Those 3 words are not really making any sence here in Thailand . Unless they can get their hands onto those billions from the couple . 

• Like 1

Really a weird case. 

No CCTV working, no hotel staff around (It is a 5 star hotel but my understanding is that there was very very few customers). 

For sure, you can't trust Koh Tao police for anything but there is a difference with previous cases : they are a rich family quite well connected and they will use this to get a full picture of what really happened to their parents

Edited by xtof2

The Burmese community on the island must be living in fear if I were Burmese that’s the last place on earth I would go to . I’m amazed to hear that they have managed to retrieve the hotels ctv footage what’s the betting that it doesn’t cover the pool area if the deceased had come from Phuket why were they not in quarantine or had they been there for longer than 14 days . RIP to the deceased ????????????????????????

• Like 2

It is a bit like saying the FDA is investigating Big Pharma, or the Trump Organization has appointed a CPA to look into misappropriated funds. Or congress is looking into misdeeds among the big banks.

Means less than zero. Anything the tainted police touch here will end up with a stench and they will never implicate anyone wealthy or powerful. It is likely the Indonesian government is exerting pressure, on their smaller and infinitely less powerful cousin, Thailand. But, nothing will come of it. Justice is rarely served here. 

Hope they do not find more innocent Burmese fall guys, like last time. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

More altering the facts to meet your personal agenda or just reading and comprehension issues?

From the beginning the cops said there were no obvious signs of violence and that it appeared to be an accidental drowning and investigations would continue.

Clearly you have absolutely no idea, you are trying to defend the indefenceable

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

not a very deep pool from the look of it ..... unless you are very short, you might be able to stand up?

Most pools are built with an incline I did read that part of the pool was 2 metre deep my pool is of one level from one end to the other 1.5 mtr in depth however saying that it is possible to drown in less than 30cm of water 

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Wow. A double drowning. It does happen if someone who can’t swim tries to rescue someone in trouble, there was a case in London recently, although you can’t compare the River Thames and a resort pool.

Let’s hope the CCTV was working and police are motivated to ensure a thorough investigation. 

I read a report the cctv had not been working for a while due to lack of maintenance.