Renewing Thai passport London & Name change

Sollac26

Hi There

Hope someone can help us please..... my wife has a booking at the Thai Embassey in London next week to renew her passport.

Question is: she currently still has in her maiden name, can we change easily enough at the same time of renewal her married name ?

If so what do we need do to do, is there an additional form to fill out to or is everything on 'form 1' ? And assuming would additional need to take uk marriage certificate along also.

FYI - she has uk passport in our married name.

Hopefully it is simple enough.

Thank you for your time

Sy

My ex-wife was Thai. Married in UK and she got UK citizenship after 3 years (it was in 2001) she kept everything Thai in her maiden name and everything UK in her married name (my last name). Why complicate things by changing? There is no need! My advice, don't change her Thai docs. My son (now 18yrs) was born in UK and has UK and Thai birth certificates, UK and Thai passports, he lives in the UK and is on blue house book at the Thai family home. NO NEED TO CHANGE YOU WIFE'S NAME IN THAI RECORDS. Will cause nothing but trouble and extra work. IMO. Simply renew her Thai passport in her maiden name. Book flight tickets to Thailand in either name and show both passports to airline when checking in. Enter Thailand on Thai passport. When leaving Thailand show both passports and exit on Thai passport at immigration (will need to show both PP's to airline). This worked for my wife and son for 20yrs without problem. Life's complicated enough, don't make it more so.   

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Nah

No problem to change names in Thai records. in Thailand, very easy.

Think you are just looking at it from one prospective.

What about the last will and testaments in uk and Thailand.

what about pensions after your death.

what about insurance payouts after death.

just to mention a few things.

I don't think its a good idea to have different names.

lots of married couples have different surnames, easy to sort out pensions and life insurance etc

to change name in a Thai passport, id card, land registry also have to be changed, can that be done in the UK?

the UK will not issue a passport if in a different name, to another countries passport already held.

• Like 1

To change here name she will need a name change certificate and it may require change her name on her ID card.

Consular service for Thais is here in Thai. https://london.thaiembassy.org/th/page/cate-7742-บริการด้านกงสุล?menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072c9

Not visa related so moving this topic to the correct forum.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To change here name she will need a name change certificate and it may require change her name on her ID card.

Consular service for Thais is here in Thai. https://london.thaiembassy.org/th/page/cate-7742-บริการด้านกงสุล?menu=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072c9

No visa related so moving this topic to the correct forum.

As we understand it, you would have to go to Thailand from the UK, and change the ID card name, at the district office, so the daughter is still using her maiden name on everything..

(She does not want to go and visit the Thai family on her mothers side, if she were to change it, and has speculated how she could obtain a house book at another address! ????)

Edited by UKresonant

11 hours ago, steve187 said:

the UK will not issue a passport if in a different name, to another countries passport already held.

That is certainly the way we read the UK regs.

So the grandson is "Name" "middle name=maiden surname" Last name=son in laws surname" in case in future only mum and son are traveling...