birth certificate "damaged" AKA unavailable

a search here turned up nothing so... 

the good news: my fiancee visited the district office in Phitsanulok yesterday and received her name change docs translated to English (enter sound of crowd cheering).  

the bad news: her birth certificate is "damaged" AKA unavailable. packet 3 instructions read: "...If an official birth certificate is not obtainable, applicants should submit a Certificate of Birthplace, their Household Registration, and their Thai National ID card as secondary evidence." 

ID card = OK 

Household Registration: regardless of the advertisements from legal offices claiming that you need one of these to do everything from applying for a passport to purchasing toilet paper she doesn't have one (even though I can personally vouch for the passport and other stuff) she owns a piece of dads farm along with her 5 siblings, but that was just settled earlier this year and she has no paperwork as of yet. 

Certificate of Birthplace: the folks at the district office offered little more than "no have". apparently they only process requests for visa docs once or twice a year, but still. (at one point she was translating during typing of the docs)    

bad news pt 2: name change docs in hand, but that took 4 1/2 hours. she was a little frazzled during our Messenger chat last night. bless her heart... what a trooper. 

input appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, zephyrblau said:

Household Registration: regardless of the advertisements from legal offices claiming that you need one of these to do everything from applying for a passport to purchasing toilet paper she doesn't have one

She might not have the tabien Baan as this is normally kept by the head of the household, however she is listed in a tabien Baan. Specifically, she should be listed in the tabien baan for the address on her Thai ID card. It must be this way because you cannot get a Thai ID card until you are listed in the tabien baan for that property.

Perhaps other members can tell you if you need a photocopy of the tabien baan or a document printed from the district office. 

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You can't get a Thai ID card without being registered in a Thai house book.

So if she has the ID card, she must be in a house book.

yes, issue clarified. she didn't understand the English term "house registration". once I used "tabien Baan" she understood. 

thanks to you both for the input. 

she's due back at the office in the morning. I've reinforced the notion of a "Certificate of Birthplace" document. hopefully this will bear fruit. 

thanks again 

• Like 1