SUV with independent suspension.

Am looking for a 3-4 years old SUV automatic but if possible with an independent rear suspension. What i been told is that such Vehicles  will be much more comfortable driving over bad roads for your back. What brands models SUV have this system? Btw will i even notice an independent rear suspension while i will always be sitting in the front of the vehicle?

The Chevrolet Trailblazer is the best ride I've been in the back of.

Somic weird about about Thailand only having PPV 's here import taxes , costs, or whatever.

Honda don't sell there pick-up here like many other makes that have all round independent suspension.

• Like 1

Independant Suspension very popular for those whos ego wants them to be seen riding like this? Why Are Some Car Wheels Slanted? | Car Performance Boss  )modified example here of course)    

Best to drive behind an IndepSusp vehicle, to watch out for just how bad the manufacturers camber is on one of these vehicles image.jpeg.5e9926c983092d83c079d0599b9e440f.jpeg

- varies depending on how much/little Load that vehicle is carrying...       I'd hate to foot the tyre replacement bills never ending... 

Expensive CUV/SUVs like Cayenne and Range Rover have independent rear suspension.  The mid price car based CUVs like CRV, CX-5, Captiva and Escape have independent rear suspension as well.   

The original SUV's were based on pick up truck chassis, so had live rear axles.  This continues in Thailand with the tax system giving the locally manufactured pickup based passenger vehicles a price advantage.  I.E. Fortuner, Pajero Sport, Everest, MUX etc.  These have all moved to softer coil rear springs with various axle location designs that offset many of the disadvantages of the leaf sprung live rear axle in pick ups, (axle tramp etc.).  However, the higher unsprung mass remains, so there is still a slight disadvantage at higher speed over bumps & pot holes.  

The difference in comfort between a well designed live axle and independent rear suspension is not huge.   Some of the up market SUV's with very stiff sports suspension (including independent rear) do not handle rough surfaces as well as the softer suspension in say the Pajero with live rear axle.   However, soft suspension will compromise high speed stability so choose what suits you.  

I suggest trying the T32 Nissan X-Trail.  These have independent rear suspension and are probably the smoothest riding of the mid price CUV/SUVs.  The catch is they are less responsive than the CRV and CX5.  Used CUVs offer good value as they tend to depreciate faster than the pickup based SUVs.   

• Thanks 2

So far the only suv vehicles with an independent rear suspension that  i found are : Ford Everest, Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi ASX, Pajero.

So not even a fortuner has this.

Ford Ecosport doesn’t seem to have individual suspension either.

The Ford Everest, Mitsubishi Pajero and Fortuner are pickup based and have a live rear axle, not IRS.  

X=Trail, CRV and CX-5 also use IRS.  The Ford Escape was a car based CUV and had IRS.  I don't have experience with the Ford Ecosport but they appear to use a torsion beam rear axle.  This is not IRS but it also does not have the unsprung weight penalty of a live axle.  This design would not necessarily reduce comfort if set up with appropriate springs and dmapers. 

Don't think the ASX and RAV4 were sold in Thailand but they do appear to use IRS.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jitar said:

Some of the up market SUV's with very stiff sports suspension (including independent rear) do not handle rough surfaces as well as the softer suspension in say the Pajero with live rear axle.   However, soft suspension will compromise high speed stability so choose what suits you.  

Right so in that case I could even select a suv/cuv with a live rear axle example ford Ecosport and change adjust the springs for more soft , dmappers and then it would be even more comfortable then a suv/cuv with individual rear suspension ?

i’am not much of a speeder here anyway care more about personal comfort while driving into these potholes ect.

Higher profile tires will smooth it out a little as well. 

If you want a car, why not buy a car?

In any event, just go take a few test drives. Don't let a lot guys you don't know talk you into or out of anything. 

• Like 1

Yes sure i will make so test drives just came here for some technical advice. Currently in mine top 3 is also the Chevrolet Capiva. It does have Individual rear suspension which remains important for me, then diesel and automatic models are available and furthermore used Captiva’s are low priced. Just they are no-longer being produced new but there always will be pros and cons about each vehicle.

12 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Right so in that case I could even select a suv/cuv with a live rear axle example ford Ecosport and change adjust the springs for more soft , dmappers and then it would be even more comfortable then a suv/cuv with individual rear suspension ?

i’am not much of a speeder here anyway care more about personal comfort while driving into these potholes ect.

In theory you could but getting the right compromise is not simple.  It would be a lot easier to buy a vehicle that is close to what you want, rather than try to modify.  

The point I was making about suspension tuning is, even with independent suspension, a stiff suspension for high speeds will not be as comfortable as a live rear axle with soft suspension.  E.G. An AMG Mercedes or BMW M car compared to an old rear wheel drive luxury car (Cadillac or Lincoln etc.). 

The beam axle on the EcoSport is not a live axle.   There is no heavy differential to increase the unsprung weight.  However smaller vehicles like the EcoSport have shorter wheelbase and smaller wheels and tyres which can reduce ride comfort compared to larger vehicles.  

7 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes sure i will make so test drives just came here for some technical advice. Currently in mine top 3 is also the Chevrolet Capiva. It does have Individual rear suspension which remains important for me, then diesel and automatic models are available and furthermore used Captiva’s are low priced. Just they are no-longer being produced new but there always will be pros and cons about each vehicle.

I have not rode in a Captiva for many years so can't remember what the ride was like.  They are a lot bigger and heavier than an Ecosport.  Their resale value was low, even before GM pulled out of Thailand.  Probably best to research common issues, find a good example of each, do a test drive and decide which vehicle, size and ride suits you best.   

• Thanks 1

Do you want a large vehicle, such as a Ford Everest, fortuner, etc. Or a smaller one like nissan x trail, crv or cx5? I have a crv diesel and it's very comfortable on poor roads. What is your budget? You could look for a used 2.5 petrol nissan x trail. I've been told they are comfortable. 

• Like 1

Yes correct the Ford Ecosport its a compact and small wheel base suv and then with a sportive type of  suspension its likely not going to be comfortable enough for me. I better focus on longer wheelbase vehicles heavier and bigger size wheels and with individual rear suspension. So far the Nissan X trail, the Captiva, and maybe that ford escape and or Honda will suit me best.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes correct the Ford Ecosport its a compact and small wheel base suv and then with a sportive type of  suspension its likely not going to be comfortable enough for me. I better focus on longer wheelbase vehicles heavier and bigger size wheels and with individual rear suspension. So far the Nissan X trail, the Captiva, and maybe that ford escape and or Honda will suit me best.

What is your budget? I did read a while back that the ecosport has about 500mm wading depth (not sure if true or not). But it's quite small and I imagine not at the comfort level yu require. Also, ford are not producing this model anymore, nor any of their car range. The older x-trail 2.5 is 700-800K (I donr recommend the 2.0 as they had some transmission issues, and less power). The new crv is about 900k-1.2M second hand depending on the model - diesel/petrol, 2wd/4wd/ Mazda cx-r is a similar price. Captiva is much cheaper, as it's an older vehicle. I don't know a lot about their issues or reliability though. The trick will be finding one with low kms and in good condition. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:15 AM, DavisH said:

What is your budget? I did read a while back that the ecosport has about 500mm wading depth (not sure if true or not). But it's quite small and I imagine not at the comfort level yu require. Also, ford are not producing this model anymore, nor any of their car range. The older x-trail 2.5 is 700-800K (I donr recommend the 2.0 as they had some transmission issues, and less power). The new crv is about 900k-1.2M second hand depending on the model - diesel/petrol, 2wd/4wd/ Mazda cx-r is a similar price. Captiva is much cheaper, as it's an older vehicle. I don't know a lot about their issues or reliability though. The trick will be finding one with low kms and in good condition. 

am looking in the price range of 500-600k. Just for searching online i can see that there are plenty of Suv with IRS available. Just need to select a good one. 

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

am looking in the price range of 500-600k. Just for searching online i can see that there are plenty of Suv with IRS available. Just need to select a good one. 

try www.taladrod.com  There are more private buyers on that site.

Nissan: 

image.png.170cae13767919cc909a1ab40b594bd4.png

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 12:32 PM, canthai55 said:

Any vehicle with a 4 wheel alignment - which includes caster, camber, and toe-in - will perform perfectly well

Unless the vehicle is almost undriveable, none of those will affect ride comfort in any significant way for rear seat passengers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou