Rat bite advice please,.

sapson

posted this in old topic but started new so can get advice please.

Just had a rat in the house 30 minutes ago this morning that when chasing it out bit my toe drew blood yikes which was dripping out in mid chase.

Washed cleaned with betadine and antibacterial cream and wound kind of sealed now not particulary swollen.

Should i rush to hospital for a rabies or tettanus jab any idea of the cost at a private hospital or government?

Would government Er deal with it as in quick or only out patients which involve hundreds of people unless wait till late afternoon when outpatients closed,

Thanks for any advice!!! bit shocked.. to be honest heart rate blood pressure still rather elevated compared to normal but have got the little barsteward out of the house now.

Go to your Local Clinic.

They will give you Tetanus Jabs if required ( about 120 Baht ), plus clean the Wound, and dress it correctly. For the cost I would also have the Rabies shot.

The costs are fairly small at these Clinics, and they do a good job.

I recently got bitten by a Tokay Lizard that I was removing from its Den, and believe me you really need to get that Tetanus Injection/s inside you, as these are Wild Animals and carry all kinds of Bacteria.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, peter0017 said:

This happened to my girlfriend a few years ago. We immediately went to a private hospital and they administered rabies shots. The cost was a few thousand baht but we made the rat pay for it.

Yes i wanted the large rat <deleted> pay with its life but was happy to see it scurry out the back door then deal with my blood which perhaps should have been his!

You need rabies series and, unless you had it within past 5 years, a tetanus booster.

You can go to ER. They see plenty of animal bites in ERs each year, no problem.

Cost will depend on the brand of vaccine used.   You'll need a series of 5 injections over the next month.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You need rabies series and, unless you had it within past 5 years, a tetanus booster.

You can go to ER. They see plenty of animal bites in ERs each year, no problem.

Cost will depend on the brand of vaccine used.   You'll need a series of 5 injections over the next month.

Thanks I remembered a clinic local to me thats an outreach of the main government hospital here and it was 50ms from a shop I was needing to go to this morning anyway .....sometimes things fall into place and luck is with you.

They were about 10 mins from closing for lunch and a bit loud and rushed but got the same iodine and saline etc from nurse as I had already done but this time with a dressing and a cursory look from a doc, who did indeed give me the first of  4 rabies shots over course of next month and the first of 3 tetanus shots over next six months..........plus the preventive standard amoxycillin antibiotic course for a week as a precaution.

So guess if i keep an eye on my vitals for a while should be ok although cant see wound area because covered.

All bit of a shock with both parents succumbing to diabetes and both with limb loss I worry about foot injuries now im an old fart.!

Lesson learned if you are going to fight a rat put some footwear on because they will attack under threat.

Thanks all readers who advised feeling less rabid now having had the first jab! and stunningly a bill with change out of 500 baht.

Final thought,are a couple of small beers any problem after the two jabs ?

Edited by sapson

51 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Glad you got yourself sorted at a Local Clinic.

They are usually pretty good with these small injuries, and are convenient, and cheap to use.

Thanks! was stressed to the max and incredulous that a poxy rat had snacked on my toe, but with the jabs hopefully no further consequences.

5 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Agree with what Sheryl said. My pet iguana bit me pretty hard once. She thought my finger was food.  I got the shots, no problem. 

Can reptiles pass on rabies?  Or did you just get the tetanus shots?

Yesterday had second of a course of four rabies jabs ordered by the doc along with a course of three tetanus jabs.

Had to pay again a few hundred baht so seems thats the price for each jab, probably still a quarter of the price of a private hospital.

According to the CDC

"Small rodents (like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs (including rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans."

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/other.html#:~:text=Small rodents (like squirrels%2C hamsters,to transmit rabies to humans.

That would suggest that a rabies jab is completely unnecessary.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oxx said:

According to the CDC

That would suggest that a rabies jab is completely unnecessary.

CDC is in the US.

The bitten person and his rat are in Thailand. 

Some old stuff:

In the past, Srisongmuang et al. (1994) studied rabies carriers in rodents in Bangkok and adjacent areas and found 1% rabies positive in rat (4/384), 0 % in squirrel (0/52) and 20% in tree shrew (2/10). The report also referred to two studies by Puangsab and Lawhasawat who found 15% and 13% of rats positive to rabies in rats trapped from Chieng Mai and all over the country in 1964 and 1977 respectively. Other reports cited by Srisongmuang et al. included studies by Smith et al. (1968) who found 4% positive rabies in rodents and Sajaotz (1968) who found 8% rabies positive in rats in eastern part of Thailand. In contrast Sawasdikosol (1976) (cited in Srisongmuang et al., 1994). found no rabies in rodents from 3 provinces in the western and southern part of Thailand (Srisongmuang et al., 1994). In 1997 Kamoltham et al. (1997) studied a carrier status in dog, Hipposiderous bicolar bats and house rats in Petchaboon and found no rabies positive case.

Another article, not quite so old, from 2006: rabies in rats in Petchabun

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article/9/2/106/1801447

Edited by Hyna
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Hyna said:

Some old stuff:

So, does that "old stuff" provide even a single case of an individual in Thailand catching rabies from a rat bite? If not, I suggest you stop raising unnecessary fears without a single shred of scientific evidence.

6 minutes ago, Oxx said:

So, does that "old stuff" provide even a single case of an individual in Thailand catching rabies from a rat bite? If not, I suggest you stop raising unnecessary fears without a single shred of scientific evidence.

The bitten person in the second quoted article obviously got vaccinated.  No doctor will not vaccinate a person bitten by a rat infected with rabies.

The articles just show that infected rats do exist in Thailand. 

Whatever the CDC writes.

I am not raising unnecessary fears,  there is nothing to fear.  Just get a rabies shot.

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2021 at 12:59 PM, Hyna said:

CDC is in the US.

The bitten person and his rat are in Thailand. 

Some old stuff:

In the past, Srisongmuang et al. (1994) studied rabies carriers in rodents in Bangkok and adjacent areas and found 1% rabies positive in rat (4/384), 0 % in squirrel (0/52) and 20% in tree shrew (2/10). The report also referred to two studies by Puangsab and Lawhasawat who found 15% and 13% of rats positive to rabies in rats trapped from Chieng Mai and all over the country in 1964 and 1977 respectively. Other reports cited by Srisongmuang et al. included studies by Smith et al. (1968) who found 4% positive rabies in rodents and Sajaotz (1968) who found 8% rabies positive in rats in eastern part of Thailand. In contrast Sawasdikosol (1976) (cited in Srisongmuang et al., 1994). found no rabies in rodents from 3 provinces in the western and southern part of Thailand (Srisongmuang et al., 1994). In 1997 Kamoltham et al. (1997) studied a carrier status in dog, Hipposiderous bicolar bats and house rats in Petchaboon and found no rabies positive case.

Another article, not quite so old, from 2006: rabies in rats in Petchabun

https://academic.oup.com/jtm/article/9/2/106/1801447

Thanks, you may have jut saved my life ,

I read the original report as well and decided not to bother getting rabies jabs ( I got bitten by a sick looking rat in CM on Friday ) , then read your post and git rabies jabs today .

You have three days to get the jabs and after that its too late 

• Thumbs Up 1