3.54M COVID-19 shots available until June 14th

9765117b65ecc4b58a35eeeb155a1c10_small.jpg

By Paphamon Arayasukawat

BANGKOK (NNT) - 3.54 million doses of COVID-19 are now available for the national vaccine rollout during the first two weeks of June, with more vaccines to be available from both AstraZeneca and Sinovac. The government is also expected to close procurement deals soon with Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson soon.

The national vaccination drive finally got underway at full capacity today, with 3,540,000 doses of vaccine secured for the first two weeks of June, mostly locally manufactured AstraZeneca vaccine.

The government had earlier received 240,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine from South Korea’s SK Bioscience, then another 1.8 million doses locally produced by Siam Bioscience.

Of the 2,040,000 AstraZeneca doses received, 1,658,800 doses have been distributed to vaccination centers across the country. Combined with the 1.5 million Sinovac doses available, the vaccine supply is now sufficient for all appointments in the first two weeks of June.

The government is expected to receive at least 840,000 more doses for the 3rd week of June, and at least another 2.58 million for the 4th week of June. With some 4 million doses administered before today, the government is expected to vaccinate 6 million more people in June, resulting in 10 million jabs given by the end of this month.

According to the National Vaccine Institute, the Thai government has already received 6 million doses of Sinovac vaccine, plus 1 million doses donated by the Chinese government. With deals now in place for 61 million AstraZeneca jabs, and 10-15 mulling deals, the government will need to secure an additional supply of 33 million doses to achieve its 100 million dose target by the end of this year.

The government is now negotiating with US drugmakers to procure 20 million doses from Pfizer, and 5 million doses from Johnson & Johnson, with deliveries expected later this year.

The government has also enabled an alternative vaccine program for authorized agencies to procure COVID-19 doses from other manufacturers in addition to the national inoculation plan. The Private Hospital Association is now in the process of purchasing 10 million doses from Moderna via the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, while Chulabhorn Royal Academy is expected to receive 1 million doses from Sinopharm this month.

nnt.jpg

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

The government is also expected to close procurement deals soon with Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson soon.

I thought a few days ago they had ordered already... but now it changed again???

I should have been vaccinated between 7th and 11th June at my local hospital. On 7th June they did 1900 doses and that is it!! No more vaccine here. A complete and utter farce of which this country should be ashamed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The government is now negotiating with US drugmakers to procure 20 million doses from Pfizer, and 5 million doses from Johnson & Johnson, with deliveries expected later this year.

Could you possibly be a little more specific? I mean December is also later this year ...........

21 minutes ago, law ling said:

" ... with deliveries expected later this year" ... seems oddly vague - why not just specify exactly what the contracts actually say about the delivery dates.

Im assuming because they dont have the contracts signed.  The news always talks about in negotiation with, in talks with, about to procure... not holding my breath. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Wife's appointment is 21st June.......not holding out too much hope that is going to happen.

Yes, my appointment is the 21st too. Govt are 'expected' to receive supplies for the third week so I guess it's wait and see.

It's nice to see the leaders finally realizing that they do, in fact, require vaccines to get out of the pandemic.  So credit due where credit's due.

3.5 million doses are nowhere near enough.  Not even close.  

Some people i know got there vaccines already even for their children, so where is the priority list gone?

Even young teachers getting the vaccines.

So all high priority people been vaccinated already in Thailand ?

Like elderly, care workers and healthcare workers i am confused

• Like 2

“Of the 2,040,000 AstraZeneca doses received, 1,658,800 doses have been distributed to vaccination centersacross the country. Combined with the 1.5 million Sinovac doses available, the vaccine supply is now sufficient forall appointments in the first two weeks of June.”

so my cancelled appointment for 14 June is back on? I doubt it.

20 minutes ago, needforspeed said:

Some people i know got there vaccines already even for their children, so where is the priority list gone?

Even young teachers getting the vaccines.

So all high priority people been vaccinated already in Thailand ?

Like elderly, care workers and healthcare workers i am confused

Saw hundreds of company workers getting vaccinated today in the basement of Index Living mall Bkk, some looked like teenagers and nobody looked over 40. 

7 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Saw hundreds of company workers getting vaccinated today in the basement of Index Living mall Bkk, some looked like teenagers and nobody looked over 40. 

so are all priority  listed people vaccinated or do they generate a new priority list that allowed companies or people to received vaccinations even if they not yet belong to first and second on priority list? And is this happening because they made a donation.

Edited by needforspeed
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, needforspeed said:

so are all priority  listed people vaccinated or do they generate a new priority list that allowed companies or people to received vaccinations even if they not yet belong to first and second on priority list? And is this happening because they made a donation.

Sister in law got done two weeks ago aged 35- priority as nanny to a rich family!. She was told not to mention it on social media and today no signs about what was going on were visible outside Index

1 minute ago, clivebaxter said:

Sister in law got done two weeks ago aged 35- priority as nanny to a rich family!. She was told not to mention it on social media and today no signs about what was going on were visible outside Index

Just seen a message that they sending out mini vans to reach elderly people to get vaccinated, so people not on priority list get vaccinated while there are still many people out there with much higher risk  to get serious sick still waiting.

So some people will die because of lack of management of vaccination process , and terrible greedy people and companies who can't wait till its there turn to received their vaccination shots

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, needforspeed said:

Just seen a message that they sending out mini vans to reach elderly people to get vaccinated, so people not on priority list get vaccinated while there are still many people out there with much higher risk  to get serious sick still waiting.

So some people will die because of lack of management of vaccination process , and terrible greedy people and companies who can't wait till its there turn to received their vaccination shots

My Wife and I chose to get vaccinated a week before her parents - this is so would could see how organised the systems in place were, how crowded they’d get etc.

We didn’t want to place her parents at risk in a crowded area. We were vaccinated (yesterday and today) and observed that the vaccine roll outs have been very well *organised and not over crowded. My In Laws will get vaccinated next week then spend a couple of days staying at ours just incase they feel unwell. 

(*very well organised for Thais and ‘some’ foreigners in Bangkok). 

Of course, the problems for many of the elderly and those in high risk groups is that they are not familiar with the Apps used to register or may not be able to get through to a busy hospital to book the vaccine. My Wife had to made the vaccine appointments for her parents. 

On 6/8/2021 at 5:46 PM, Blumpie said:

It's nice to see the leaders finally realizing that they do, in fact, require vaccines to get out of the pandemic.  So credit due where credit's due.

3.5 million doses are nowhere near enough.  Not even close.  

Totally agree with a population of 70+ million it’s going to be a long haul after all two jabs are needed per person 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Totally agree with a population of 70+ million it’s going to be a long haul after all two jabs are needed per person 

It's actually mind boggling.  It's mind boggling because Thailand just drags its feet and doesn't truly understand the scope of this.  Let's talk about vaccinating 60 million people.  That's a minimum 120 million extra needles, and how many health care workers to administer it?  They don't have the health care workers.  

You're going to see much more of this in the coming months.  There will be no tourism in Thailand in any meaningful way until its population has an immunization.  

• Like 1

There needs to be transparency in SiamBioscience operation. They are falling further behind every day in their commitment to Thailand and other countries in SE Asia. What is going on? Have they actually produced any? I understand Thailand has no choice but why did other countries depend on Thailand?