Why is the chicken so god damn expensive?

AndyAndyAndy

8 hours ago, Excel said:

Not so, totally erroneous to equate chicken flu in Japan and S Korea as the reason for increased local costs. . Thai domestic chicken prices are not affected by exchange rates, exports are and hence with the THB weakening the last month or so exported chicken prices are more cost to the importing countries. Totally irrelevant to the chicken price in Thailand which increased due to the CP factories closing as I already posted. Now that they are back to near normal production the price has reverted.

who talks about costs?

I talk about prices

export prices are usually quoted in USD anyways

a weakening THB means the Thai producer/exporter gets more THB for its exported chicken and for the importer, nothing changes - except if the importer made a contract in THB, in which case, the chicken gets cheaper for the importer and nothing changes for the exporter.

it's not totally irrelevant, but of course a closed factory would have contributed to a rise in price.

• Sad 1

I buy a ready roasted chicken in my local Big C for between 118-125 baht, occasionally a 99 baht promo, which to me is an absolute bargain.

OK it's not the biggest of birds but feeds a family of 4, with scraps left over for the dog.

Edited by Andycoops
Spelling errors.

On 6/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, chalawaan said:

Global inflation is actually what the Central Banksters want to make happen right now.

I am so late to this discussion...

Central Banksters do not cause inflation. Governments cause inflation when they devalue their money by 'printing' it without the financials to support it.  You know, like sending people free money, telling them they cannot work, no economy and not raising taxes to pay it back. Or... declaring a minimum wage, which cuts people out of the job market because small businesses cannot afford to hire them. The minimum wage drives up cost, which fuels inflation. It's what the government does to get more people paying a higher tax, because they now earn more money...  And the cycle begins... then repeats. 

So, it's pretty shocking how quick this has hit... Welcome to inflation. We are repeating the past, thank you Jimmy Carter. (Just wait until you're paying 17% for a mortgage interest rate (circa 1982)).

On 6/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I'm in Sakon Nakhon.

I was in Marko, but out of principle refused to buy their 61 Baht boneless chicken breast. So on the way home I stopped in Tesco. And price was the same. It's not just one shop.

Like 4 months ago it was 40 Baht.

Of course, price goes up over time. But 50% in 4 months... .

12 years ago it was more expensive.

It makes me laugh that chicken breasts are so cheap in Thailand, my wife says it's because nobody wants to eat them. In most Asian countries actually I have found that people generally would rather give the breast meat to their dog than eat it themselves. When I ask why, she said "it's just dry, tasteless and has no texture, Thai people like a combination of textures".

They favour the feet over the breast meat, which seems bonkers to most people from Western countries.

Edited by BenDeCosta

1 minute ago, BenDeCosta said:

It makes me laugh that chicken breasts are so cheap in Thailand, my wife says it's because nobody wants to eat them. In most Asian countries actually I have found that people generally would rather give the breast meat to their dog than eat it themselves. When I ask why, she said "it's just dry, tasteless and has no texture, Thai people like a combination of textures".

Never of thought of that....wife only eats the feet and livers.......when I ask for Panang Gia in a 'real' Thai restaurant wife always has to ask for the breast or they use lumps of rubber.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Never of thought of that....wife only eats the feet and livers.......when I ask for Panang Gia in a 'real' Thai restaurant wife always has to ask for the breast or they use lumps of rubber.

Yes, they prefer something that has a bit of skin, a bit of meat and some sinew. And they prefer dark meat because it's greasier and therefore more juicy, making the breasts the bit that they don't like. Same thing in Malaysia and Singapore from my experiences.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't shop at tesco since CP took over I hate it there and go to makro. The only thing to get in Tesco is Nachos chips. I can't think of anything else... Shampoo is 120 baht for three litre at the hair shop. Lotion is 89 baht for 1 litre. Cat food and cat litter is cheaper from the pet shop or in line. 

On 6/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, BenDeCosta said:

They favour the feet over the breast meat, which seems bonkers to most people from Western countries.

I agree with everything you said. Myself preferring the ( chicken ) breast part. For the rest maybe it's also cheap because they have a large experience with Silicone breasts. 5555

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...