NewEgg shopping

johnjohn2

I havent ordered from NewEgg in about 5 or 6 years. Last time I did I was charged import duty on items coming in. I noticed on the NewEgg website that now they take out vat/duty on checkout. The print says you are not liable for more import charges. 

Has anyone ordered from NewEgg and can confirm this? When I order from Amazon I never have to worry about paying anything on delivery as they do it at checkout. Not having used NewEgg in so long just wondering if its the same. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ben thanks for the reply. I would bother because there are some things that you can not find here. Also there are some things which are considerably cheaper. There is also the fact that I can. Just looking for an answer from someone who has ordered from New Egg. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, johnjohn2 said:

Ben thanks for the reply. I would bother because there are some things that you can not find here. Also there are some things which are considerably cheaper. There is also the fact that I can. Just looking for an answer from someone who has ordered from New Egg. 

I used an online tool to calculate what you'd have to pay customs for importing computer components from the USA to Thailand.

Assuming you are buying something worth 10000 baht, paying 500 baht for delivery and 50 baht for insurance, you can expect to be charged 738.5 baht by Thai customs, giving a total cost of 11288.5 baht.

You can try it yourself here: https://customsdutyfree.com/duty-calculator/

NewEgg explicitly states that you are responsible for the charges: https://kb.newegg.com/knowledge-base/international-shipping/

"When ordering from Newegg, you’re responsible for assuring the product can be lawfully imported to the destination country/region.

The recipient is the importer of record and must comply with all laws and regulations of the destination country/region. Orders shipped outside of the United States may be subject to import taxes, customs duties, and fees levied by the destination country/region. The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to such import taxes, customs duties, and fees, which are levied once a shipment reaches the recipient’s country/region. Additional charges for customs clearance must be fulfilled by the recipient; Newegg has no control over these charges, nor can Newegg predict what they may be."

I think you'd get a call when the goods arrived in Thailand and be asked to submit an ID document and pay the fees, but then again TIT so who knows? I got a call after trying to import a box of used books, they wanted more than the books were worth, so I said I didn't want them.

Edited by BenDeCosta

Heres is what I got from the New Egg site:

The Estimated VAT/GST & Duty is an estimation of the taxes and duties that may apply and isn’t an actual calculation. Customs regulations and tax rates applicable to certain goods may change between the date the taxes and duties were estimated and the applicable taxes and duties on the date of import into the destination country. The duty or tax rate is often determined by the classification of a good, which varies by country and region.

Duties and taxes are calculated based on the market value (actual price before any promotions) of the product and not the price after Newegg promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods.

You won’t be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the VAT/GST & Duty we estimated.

Which does conflict with what you posted is why I am wondering if anyone has shopped NewEgg. Like Amazon it is once its charged you know you dont have to pay anything more. If the cost go over what was quoted - they pay. If its under they refund you the difference in a week or so. The website says two different things so I am trying to work through the confusion. NewEgg doesnt offer a solid answer when talking with them. 

2 minutes ago, johnjohn2 said:

NewEgg doesnt offer a solid answer when talking with them. 

This is probably because NewEgg can't predict what Thai customs will do. Maybe you item will just arrive without bother, but more than likely you'll be phoned and asked to provide ID and pay a charge. Maybe just order something that's not very expensive on your credit card, then wait to see what happens. If it doesn't arrive, file a chargeback as "goods not received".

• Like 1

I can't help with newegg. Amazon.com similarly adds Thai tax and duty at checkout. They also guarantee you won't pay more, even if the duty comes out higher, further, they refund you the difference if it comes out lower. I think after every single order I've received from Amazon I end up getting a small refund.