i lost the stick which held the road tax (probably while riding)

giogio

hi guys

i lost the stick which held the road tax (probably while riding).

i have OA visa
it s my bike, bought new, registered on my name, i have greenbook, the permanent "rayong" plate.
the bike was bought at a honda shop in rayong, when i bought it i provided the residency certificate (i am unsure whether the certificate was needed to register the bike and/or to get road tax).
i am under maptaphut immigration, hence resident in rayong.

so this is what i did:
i filed a report to rayong police and went to land transport to get the road tax.
transport demanded a residency certificate. on the spot i called another local foreigner who also seemed bemused.
transport insisted on the residency certificate and because i speak little thai/transport speak no english, they wanted to talk to one of my thai friends (obviously i am foreigner hence i am an idiot).
transport repeated the same story to my thai friend (they want residency certificate)

with my previous motos, at road tax renewal i was never asked a residency certificate (but i used other land transport).
i dont know whether there is a difference between renewing and losing road tax/filing for a replacement.

can in-the-know people shed a light please?
what should i do?
bow and get a residency certificate?
will i have to get a residency certificate when i renew the road tax?
if i go to another land transport (pattaya maybe?), will they still ask me a residency certificate?
where can i find an expert feedback?

PS- the certificate costs 500 baht, for some is little money (not for me though). however i feel i am cheated, that is why before i bow i ask your opinion.

thank you

Always put mine under the seat

Lost or removed before didnt know till cop stopped fined 400b went to cop shop reported missing paid 50b for cert at cop shop to go to motor vehicle dept with green book to get replacement or you can do with agent for a fee but no residency permit required then

Edited by tomyami
  • Thanks 1

I just keep a copy of mine under the seat with a copy of the green book. 

The Police in Bangkok hardly ever bother with anything like that, if they do I’ll just tell them it fell off and I’m on my way to get the ‘cover thing’.

I’ve only every been stopped by the police in Bangkok twice while on my motorbike. 

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Some people use cylinder shaped containers or 'tubes' for such documents. Perhaps  try this next time instead of a stick

in fact i wrongly call it stick, but it was a cylinder, poorly fixed to plate by honda shop. next time i scotch it to bike. now i am researching how to fix the current situation until renewal time (unfortunately in march,so 9 months to go)

in a similar post i made on fcbk pattaya, some guys suggest to go to YELLOW COG. others suggest to make a copy of greenbook and show to street cops if stopped (together with police report)

My sticker holder barrel fell off a while back, keep the new sticker in the green book  and have a sticker photo copy in the new holder, with the original in house available for future photo copies.

If you have a company called ID DRIVER near you which is a yellow cog driver center they can handle the new sticker issue for you for a very small fee, give them paperwork and pay small admin charge and sticker comes back in a few days never asked for residents certificate.

Edited by sapson
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sapson said:

ID DRIVER near you which is a yellow cog driver center

Thnk u

from a quick maps search, ID DRIVER is in pattaya. I m in rayong city, tomorrow morning i will ask in my condo about this yellow cog (mot), if any in rayong. Anyway, feedback from fcbk groups where i posted: the most reliable suggest to copy relevant bits of greenbook, add police report, make a sticker with police report to attach on bike

When I lost mine I took the green book to the DLT where the bike was registered (*), told them I lost it, was asked to pay 20THB or so, got a new one.

*Has happened twice to me, once the bike was registered in BKK, the other time in Udon.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When I lost mine I took the green book to the DLT where the bike was registered (*), told them I lost it, was asked to pay 20THB

so maybe it s down to province.

As i stated , in rayong dlt asked then insisted for residency certificate. They refused to talk to me because i was not accompanied by a thai

6 minutes ago, giogio said:

so maybe it s down to province.

As i stated , in rayong dlt asked then insisted for residency certificate. They refused to talk to me because i was not accompanied by a thai

They outright refused to even try and communicate with you. Or, they gave up and you gave up because they couldn’t speak English and you can’t speak Thai ????

Can you speak Thai ? - enough to get by ?... 

Sometimes people are total ayholes, you may have just dealt with a  total ayhole at the DLT.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sometimes people are total ayholes, you may have just dealt with a  total ayhole at the DLT.

I criticize myself too, i dont simply blame others for whatever happens.

having said that, IN RAYONG, immigration charges 100 bt for address registration (local farangs have always paid what they consider a standard “fee”, but  it s free anywhere else in thailand). I have eye witnessed, still at immigration, farangs storming out of the cubicles because they were asked bribes, and farangs shouted back that the service was free.

DLT. I had approached DLT in a previous occasion, i can usually get by with my poor thai plus google translate plus photos, but in that occasion they had the same approach (ask a thai friend to come with u). In that specific occasion, i was only enquiring and a thai person who spoke english came to my rescue. Yesterday i had a practical aim to get a  copy of the taxes i had already paid. I put up with their usual corrupted approach, but i come from a pragmatical culture and i clearly show it in whatever i do/say/think. Having said that, i never used rude language but seeing that they were clearly abusing, i made them “lose face” by insisting that i have paid taxes as shown in the greenbook (i hanged around DLT for 3 hours), just gimme a receipt/sticker so that i can place it on the bike, that s why i am here. U want Residence certificate? Why? A res cert is needed to register a bike to a new owner, not to get a copy of my already paid taxes. U say i m a tourist? I gave u copy of my “ret visa”, u spoke over the phone to my thai friends in phuket/chiangmai, i live here.

and by using a combination of the previously mentioned methods, i clearly got this message across, and by insisting in doubting their point, i was making them lose face.

They r crooks, at least in rayong.

The solution i m going to try is what many guys suggested: copy of greenbook, copy of police report, copy of receipt taxes paid, try to make a sticker out of the police report, but this is gonna be difficult (i use a software to translate docx in thai)

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

it's

Fair enough

good point

in the spot yesterday i was just doing the law abiding european, but this culture does not seem to like it! Ahah

anyway, i got the police report and greenbook copies at hand if stopped

thnx

22 minutes ago, giogio said:

Fair enough

good point

in the spot yesterday i was just doing the law abiding european, but this culture does not seem to like it! Ahah

anyway, i got the police report and greenbook copies at hand if stopped

thnx

In principle what you did is obviously correct - but way too complicated for Thailand.

When you had that tax paper this means you paid your tax. So riding the bike is legal - with or without that paper.

I ride bikes in Bangkok since year 2000. Most of the time I paid 100B cash, worst case 200B cash, or really worst case 400B at the police station. And the last time the police stopped me is maybe more than two years ago. I think the usual stops with 10 officers at the road side are not allowed anymore. 

And, importantly, I always paid only for one issue like i.e. riding without helmet or not riding on the left lane. Even if I would not ride on the left lane without helmet and and and I am sure I would still pay only one fine. TiT

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I waited to get a new one the following year. Problem solved. ???? 

That would have been my question, how long is it before the tax needs renewing? Not too long and I would swerve it for all the hassle.

• Like 1