Aircon cleaning self made, what "gun" are they using, and is there a way to reduce the power of a pressure washer ?

thailandusauk

hello,

I would like to start cleaning aircon myself as I do not like the mess that they let when a company cleans them.

I have a Karcher pressure washer but it seems too powerful, is there a way to reduce the water pressure ? or maybe the small "gun" that they use is what will reduce the water power ?

Do you know where to buy this gun ? Or maybe if I connect the gun to a longer cable there will be less pressure ? or do I need to buy a less powerful washer ?

What do you think ? Thank you for your info and links to what I need.

• Like 1

You can reduce the pressure of that Karcher power washer by using a different nozzle.

I don't recommend this set because it ships from China, but it gives you an idea.

The soap and rinse nozzles (light blue and red).  I use them on my gasoline powered pressure washer that's 3x as powerful as an electric, and they work great for low pressure needs.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pressure-washer-accessories-kit-180-degree-quick-connecting-pivoting-coupler7-power-washer-spray-nozzle-tips-soap-and-rinse-jet-stream-tips-14-inch-8-pack-30gpm-030-i660198709-s1286144918.html

The soap and rinse nozzles are hard to find in Thailand, but in a pinch you can drill out a normal nozzle to a 1.5-2.0mm hole.

Edit:  If you use a long enough power cable to reduce the pressure, you'll probably burn out the motor with low voltage.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

True. 
however a pressure washer is absolutely the wrong tool for cleaning an AC unit, it can and will damage it as the pressure is way too high. 

Not if you use the soap nozzle, rinse nozzle or the black nozzle (that's usually the wimpiest, meant to reduce back pressure so you can siphon soap or chemicals out of a container). 

It may be overkill, but it's a positive displacement pump.  Meaning that, without a tiny nozzle hole to create back pressure, the pressure can be kept as low as a garden hose.   Don't believe it?  Try running your pressure washer without a nozzle at all.  The stream will look just like a garden hose.  1-2 GPM don't build up much pressure at all against a 1/4" - 3/8" diameter wand.

The trick is to try out different nozzles to see which one is best.  Or, take a standard nozzle and drill it out.  I'd suggest starting at 1.5-2mm.  Maybe go up to 2.5-3mm.  Beats spending a bunch of money on yet another tool that's only useful for that one job.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

True. 
however a pressure washer is absolutely the wrong tool for cleaning an AC unit, it can and will damage it as the pressure is way too high. 

pressure washers with variable pressure are recommended. 140 PSI is fine.

• Like 1

I have successfully used spray cans marketed by Nu Calgon to clean the internal and external coils of ac units. The spray evaporated with no mess and is effective. For even better results vaccum the coils atrer they have dried for half an hour. You tube has several videos on using such products. The spray cans are available from hardware stores or Lazada.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Surely You Tube will have all the answers to this question? Some of the DIY channels are absolutely brilliant.

Just type in: DIY service aircon.

The biggest problem I experienced is that you need to make a whole construction of tarps to catch all the water you are pressure washing in there: you don't want your ceiling and walls to get wet, or all the electronics in your AC. Once you got that ready it is fairly simple: just spray around at will with water. 

Alternatively you can buy some spray cans with AC cleaner (they got those at DIY stores like HomePro). Just open up your AC, spray the cleaner on there, wait 10 minutes, and turn your AC on to let the water condensation flush away the dirt that has come off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I have found that the biggest problem with the AC is the build up of dust on the fan blades. After few months of build up, the airflow is greatly reduced because of the reduced efficiency of the fan. I find that cleaning the fan with a vacuum cleaner every few months is enough along with a cleaning of the filters every two weeks. I bring in the aircon cleaners once a year for a big cleaning of the inside and outside unit.

I have found an improved way to clean the fan. I used to brush the crud off with a toothbrush. 

This works but a lot remains.

The problem is the fan blades get a bit damp from condensation. This makes them a bit sticky to very fine particles of dust which as you say , builds up in drifts.

Now , after brushing the worst off as before. I get the wifes hair dryer out , put on the hot setting then spend 5 minutes blowing hot air over the blades to dry them out as much as possible. Lastly , I get my garden blower out and blast off the now dried remaining crud from the fan blazes. I found this keeps the blades cleaner than my old method without the hair dryer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

I have found an improved way to clean the fan. I used to brush the crud off with a toothbrush. 

This works but a lot remains.

The problem is the fan blades get a bit damp from condensation. This makes them a bit sticky to very fine particles of dust which as you say , builds up in drifts.

Now , after brushing the worst off as before. I get the wifes hair dryer out , put on the hot setting then spend 5 minutes blowing hot air over the blades to dry them out as much as possible. Lastly , I get my garden blower out and blast off the now dried remaining crud from the fan blazes. I found this keeps the blades cleaner than my old method without the hair dryer.

Excellent method, I will try that next time, thanks!

• Like 1

I have a VIP Blue pressure washer.     variable pressure. So can turn it down enough so as not to bend the fins.

To clean the fan just put your hand on it to stop it rotating fast and then spray.

I find the biggest problem is spraying down vertically as the unit is too close to the ceiling.

You need to take a lot of care, waterproofing the area, of the electrics.

You can buy the same water catchment ‘bags’ that the ‘professionals’ use.

It is best to take out the drain catchment unit but I have seen a Daikin contractor do it without!

Also flush out the drain pipe.

Be warned     You do need enough pressure to completely remove the debris from within the heat exchanger otherwise it will compact and that is bad news.

Also best to remove and scrub/bleach/cleaner the little guide vanes as a sticky substance can form on them.   I don’t think that stuff is very healthy.

Edited by PFMills
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

True. 

But I have never seen any aircon company using anything else but a pressure washer...

are you a magician ?

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

You don't need a pressure washer.

Remove the filters from the AC, take them to your shower, spray the filters using  a hand pump spray bottle with diluted dish washing soap, let sit for 5 minutes, rinse with the shower head.  The filters are now clean, but you will have to clean the gunk from them off of the shower drain filter.

Tap the filters on the shower floor to knock off most of the water, lean them up against the shower wall and let them dry an hour or two before reinstalling them.  They will dry faster if you aim the air from a fan at the filters.

If you are in a big hurry then just reinstall them after tapping them on the shower floor to get rid of most of the water.  The air blowing through them in the AC will finish drying them.

you are very funny ! thank you !

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

I hope that the people you hire to clean your AC do more than just clean out the filters.

The filters you can easily do yourself and it takes a few minutes at best, including getting the ladder set up, while cleaning the complete AC can easily take an hour.

Cleaning out the filters is recommend to do on a weekly basis, cleaning your complete AC maybe a few times a year.

The elements inside the AC that do that actual cooling (metal roster) is the part you should focus on, as there normally is a huge buildup of gunk on there making your AC less efficient. The best way to clean those is by using a pressure washer and blasting the dirt out. Another method is buying some spray cans of AC cleaner and hoping the "active" ingredients in there dissolve the dirt and it washes off soon after. I've done the spray cans a few times and it helps, but the pressure washer cleaning is by far superior.

This is the only correct truth.

3 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Remove the filters from the AC, take them to your shower, spray the filters using  a hand pump spray bottle with diluted dish washing soap, let sit for 5 minutes, rinse with the shower head.  The filters are now clean, but you will have to clean the gunk from them off of the shower drain filter.

Tap the filters on the shower floor to knock off most of the water, lean them up against the shower wall and let them dry an hour or two before reinstalling them.  They will dry faster if you aim the air from a fan at the filters.

If you are in a big hurry then just reinstall them after tapping them on the shower floor to get rid of most of the water.  The air blowing through them in the AC will finish drying them.

There is more to cleaning an AC system than just washing the filters.  Both coils should be cleaned and the condensate drain pan and line too.  When my AC guy cleans them he takes out as much as he can from the indoor unit.  He takes the blower wheel(fan) out and washes it outside.  Puts a plastic sheet around the unit and runs it out the window or into a bucket and washes the coil and condensate drain.

• Like 2

The main cleaning problem is actually the fan. Rotating speed, dust and humidity are an ideal combination for clogging up the cage fan in a couple of months. Look at your indoor 'cooling' fan; blades get dirty in no time.

The whole performance of your AC will go down; the speed lowers. the airflow gets diverted and the power consumption will go up. 

Amateur cleaning of the fan blades will leave little clogs on the fan blades that will collect new dirt even faster.

Are you an amateur? Leave it to a dedicated company. It cost you some, but the result is even better than DIY. 

If you are a handy man, take out the whole fan for optimum cleaning. 

btw: the evaporator will give you hardly any cleaning as long as dust grids are firmly put in place.

My 5 cents

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tgw said:

pressure washers with variable pressure are recommended. 140 PSI is fine.

140psi is still way too much, as are some household pumps. its not the pressure of the water that does the cleaning. High pressure will bend the fins on the condenser, so be gentle if you want long life from your AC unit

Why not try a typhoon blower? Like a powerful hair dryer. Will blow out all  the dust and <deleted> from the condensor. OK it won't wash anything, but then again, no  water to ruin your electrics.

You can find them on Lazada.

Something like this:  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/total-800-tb2086-aspirator-blower-i2258791527-s7560422977.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.2c527240HqPyBJ&search=1

4 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I think the reference is about how to pressure clean the horozontal fan, this is what really builds up especially in Bangkok's dirty air.

10 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Are you sure you provided enough detail?....555.

I blast mine once a year with the bum gun and put them in the sun to dry....Only about 5mm of fluff on them. Not enough to block the shower.

6 hours ago, kennw said:

I think the reference is about how to pressure clean the horozontal fan, this is what really builds up especially in Bangkok's dirty air.

Are you guys talking about blasting the unit on the wall with water? That must make hell of a mess!