Electric Showers

crabstix

I have recently moved into a house. Unfortunately I am stuck with cold showers for now. I am planning to buy an electric heater. Where is a good place to buy one in Chiang Rai? I need one with a long warranty and one which can be installed (safely) for me. Is there usually a charge for installing it or is it usually included in to cost?

Shower water heaters are sold everywhere. Unless you have a handyman in mind then I suggest you ask about installation when you go shopping. As for a warranty....ask about that too when you go shopping.

In the mean time you can always heat water on your gas stove and put it in a large basin or even an 89 baht garbage can you can get at Big C....by the way they also sell shower water heaters at Big C.....also at the big store next to Big C on the north side...also in a small hardware store by the main market on its eastern edge...and at a couple of other small hardware stores up and down that street...and at the large appliance store about 1km south of town...and at.....

Another couple of things to consider. A ground fault interrupter type switch so you or your loved ones don't turn into a ground rod. And there is a wide range of wattages on these things. My father-in-law installed the one for our house in Phayao for us when we were in CMai. It works fine but is the lowest wattage you could get, big mistake, it's like standing under a warm pee stream.. :o but it's warm. :D The higher wattage ones are only a bit more expensive and well worth the cost differential.

What always amazes me is how water standing in a pot overnight can be so cold. We all must be soft because it does not seem to bother any of my Thai relatives...

About the ground fault interupt: I think that all new electric shower heaters have one built in so no need to get another one....I think. I guess its best to be sure that the shower you buy has this feature.....this means you might have to buy a ground rod and a ground rod clamp and some electrical wire....and get someone to install this too. Have you considered getting a gas unit? They cost a bit more but it is an alternative to having a live 220V appliance in the shower....think about it.

Chownah

Have you considered getting a gas unit?

When I was in the fish farm industry all of our farms had on demand gas that gave hot hater to all the spigots just like tank hot water. Worked incredibly well.

In our next place, I'm going to also look at building a solar hot water heater. I built one out of a bunch of black plastic at one cabin I had and it was so hot you had to add water or you would burn yourself. Thailand is ideal for it.

my opinion too: gas is better.

but I use electric - bought it at Makro, they installed, no fuss or muss.

long ago I installed gas as I had a bath-tub. In another room stood the gas cannister. Gas heaters are larger, use electricity for the starter spark (usually) and also require good water pressure (a lot of people use their own pumps &/or water storage containers on roofs or towers).

I paid more for a bigger one (there was a cheaper of the same make) but am still not really satisfied with how hot it gets...

at Makro, now, you must join to buy, but it's really no big deal.

cheaper than BigC, I'm pretty sure, and cheaper than the same model elsewhere I'm positive.

What mystifies me is why local electricials balk at installing the electric units in "kitchens" - I'd like to use one to more hygienically wash dishes, but have failed to find that arrangable in a succession of homes here...

beats me - I'm hardly the Makro policy guy

but when I bought the Sharp heater -

which gives hot water now that the water goes in warm -

they told me I had to join...

I'd been shopping there no prob...

now I'm a proud member!