How much for these cows

I have been asked to pay 100,000 THB for these 4 female cows. Does anyone here know the breed by looking at these pictures?

I would appreciate any advise on the asking price and what questions to ask before purchase.

4ceeac20-dc1a-4cab-91a8-da81603e26a3.JPG

16dec784-40ce-445f-82bb-abc215531b59.JPG

c5e2373e-8ab6-4f51-ab5e-c7e134dd2503.JPG

cd250d3c-a802-44da-8775-bc2f77d19b1f.JPG

5 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

No expert here, but they look like Brahman cattle.

I recently paid 20,000 baht each for two females - so that Mrs C could save them from the slaughterhouse. Long story, and yes I'm a soft touch.

Just yesterday we went to see the cows (and a new calf) where they are being looked after by a family friend. We (I) pay a small amount monthly for the upkeep.

Yes, I already said I'm a soft touch, but I am assured of a better life next time around.

You are lucky they are both females, you will have no BS.

• Haha 2

My wife, the cowgirl, tells me if they over 6 years old, not worth buying, little chance of calving if you want to breed..

if younger,   maybe 20,000  is   fair price.     Wife recently bought  3    young calves, 12 month old,    10,000 baht each, but that was discount price from Uncle.

• Like 1

yep lumpy skin problem is indeed a problem around us, udon thani.  all local village stores have had no fresh beef for sale for 2 plus weeks now, not allowed to sell so i have been told.

over the past month many cows have been struck by lighting and died in and around the villages close by to us, plus many shared photos of dead cows in facebook that have also been hit by lightning in said province.

price, a lady that comes to the farm daily has some cows for sale like in photos above, 3 mums 2 that are in calf  and 2 smaller calfs,she has been offered 200,000 baht but wants 220,000.....

cows around here are still expensive.

4 hours ago, thoongfoned said:

yep lumpy skin problem is indeed a problem around us, udon thani.  all local village stores have had no fresh beef for sale for 2 plus weeks now, not allowed to sell so i have been told.

over the past month many cows have been struck by lighting and died in and around the villages close by to us, plus many shared photos of dead cows in facebook that have also been hit by lightning in said province.

price, a lady that comes to the farm daily has some cows for sale like in photos above, 3 mums 2 that are in calf  and 2 smaller calfs,she has been offered 200,000 baht but wants 220,000.....

cows around here are still expensive.

Old saying you can tell if cattle have been struck by lightning ,the hairs on their  back will be standing on end.

More scientific, scorch marks where the animal was struck ,food still in the mouth ,wife said one pen of 12 cattle in Issan died of a lightning strike .

Lumpy skin ,they are two variants ,Lumpy Skin and Lumpy Skin Pseudo, caused by different viruses, Thailand I think has Lumpy skin .

Cause is insect vector ,some say the housefly ,is the cause ,not so ,a specie  of tic is more likely some say horse fly could well be the vector ,but one veterinary manual  said no insect  vector  present  ,cattle still were infected.

1 hour ago, IsaanAussie said:

The photos appear to be all of one heifer? Could be wrong. Get us some pictures of the left hand side rear if you can.

Sounds like a soapy massage fishbowl shot is needed. At least these girls aren't playing with their phones.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Anyone that has cattle should vaccine their entire herd against lumpy skin. No use vaccinating cows that already have it. Vaccinate the healthy animals. 

That depends on if you have the vaccine ,media reports say they are only 60 000 does in the country with the DLD ,a farm in Rachaburi province says on FB he has some vaccine for sale .

Make more sense in trying to improve the farm biosecurity to prevent it spreading ,but like Foot and Mouth disease not easy, with you average beef cattle   that roam all over the place in search of feed, and  feed  have no handling facilities ,and trying  to control some very stroppy  animals. 

On 6/9/2021 at 10:26 AM, thoongfoned said:

cows around here are still expensive

Our local cattle dealer has 2 Charolais X Brahman  heifers for sale  the other one like this heifer ,they are about 2 1/2 years old ,not been served ,been in a shed all they lives  ,the hooves are staring to curl up ,they need some walking  ,he wants 90 000 baht the pair. 

RIMG1723.JPG

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

That depends on if you have the vaccine ,media reports say they are only 60 000 does in the country with the DLD ,a farm in Rachaburi province says on FB he has some vaccine for sale .

Make more sense in trying to improve the farm biosecurity to prevent it spreading ,but like Foot and Mouth disease not easy, with you average beef cattle   that roam all over the place in search of feed, and  feed  have no handling facilities ,and trying  to control some very stroppy  animals. 

The problem I believe is that the authorities in Bangkok were caught out and had no vaccine in stock. Before allowing  the vaccine to come in from overseas, many meetings had to take place before permission was granted. A bit like the Covid-19 vaccines. I have heard, that the government did relent, and allow private organisations to import the lumpy skin vaccine in, rather than wait for DLD. 

• Like 1