2021 MG Pickup

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The MG is simple and solid also...and not built in India!

And not built in the Uk or any part of Europe

Between 1924 - 2005 MG has never designed or built a single SUV or pickup

On 22 July 2005, the Nanjing Automobile Group purchased the rights to the MG brand along with other assets of the MG Rover Group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_Cars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It’s only after 5 years that you can begin to assess reliability as owners of Toyota,Honda etc will attest. And remember this is Thailand when you need to fall back on a warranty issue..

Theres a reason people here are quoting large discounts new and which you will discover should you want/need to sell it on later. Secondhand Toyota,Isuzu- no problem. MG…???

Its Interesting there are 2 pickup's for sale in Thailand that share the same engine , gearbox and many other parts but they have 2 completely different sales figures for the 1st 3 months of this year

1)  Isuzu 40,222

7) Mazda 405

Isuzu never offer large discounts yet they are still the preferred brand for pickups

https://www.headlightmag.com/sales-report-pickup-q1-2021

31 minutes ago, nchuckle said:
35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So far, nothing's gone wrong with either of them.

You haven’t really grasped the concept of longevity have you?

You haven't really grasped the idea of the proven reliability of MG vehicles over the last decade plus, have you?

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:
19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The MG is simple and solid also...and not built in India!

And not built in the Uk or any part of Europe

Between 1924 - 2005 MG has never designed or built a single SUV or pickup

What about in the last 16 years that you failed to mention that is more relevant than the period between 1924 and 2005?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wasn't comparing them to the CRV, I was comparing the MG pickup to Isuzu, Toyota, Mitsu etc. pickups. 

MG's 10-year plus reliability track record is as unblemished so far as Thai-built "Japanese" pickups.  Unless you have some specific example, it is not "questionable" except by those who negatively like to question everything they see as Chinese-built. 

According to MG own web pages they started building MG’ s first-ever pickup truck lineup to Thai automotive market  in 2019

https://www.mgcars.com/en/NewsActivities/Detail/new-mg-extender

2021 - 2019 equals 2 years not 10 years

• Sad 1

if you're only going to cover 3000km per year you'd probably be better off renting - no insurance, tax etc. to pay.

No idea about the MG brand but I suspect they will depreciate much more then the mainstream brands - could be a costly exercise for such a low annual mileage.  If you look around there are some good deals on long term rentals - I had a Navara 2 door truck for 550 baht per week last year and that was just for a 2 week rental - longer term would have been even cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What about in the last 16 years that you failed to mention that is more relevant than the period between 1924 and 2005?

Its strange that the current MG websites, brochures all mention in the logos Passion drives since 1924 top left hand corner

So the period 1924 to current date is relevant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wasn't comparing them to the CRV, I was comparing the MG pickup to Isuzu, Toyota, Mitsu etc. pickups. 

MG's 10-year plus reliability track record is as unblemished so far as Thai-built "Japanese" pickups.  Unless you have some specific example, it is not "questionable" except by those who negatively like to question everything they see as Chinese-built. 

Expand  

According to MG own web pages they started building MG’ s first-ever pickup truck lineup to Thai automotive market  in 2019

2021 - 2019 equals 2 years not 10 years

Read my comment, I was referring to MG's 10-year reliability track record, not to their pickups' 10-year track record which, so far, has shown no sign of being anything other than as good as their competitors'.   

You're not seriously trying to suggest that their good reliability record since the inception of the vehicles is anything other than good, are you?

51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

MG has dealers all over Thailand, they have a 24-hour rescue/breakdown service, courtesy car provided during services in the warranty period, 24/7 call centre and they are reported to be good, robust pickups also.

In Thailand MGs has 40 dealers and not all have service centers. Toyota has 480 service centers and Izuzu has 344. Matter of easy accessibility and convenience. 

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Read my comment, I was referring to MG's 10-year reliability track record, not to their pickups' 10-year track record which, so far, has shown no sign of being anything other than as good as their competitors'.   

You're not seriously trying to suggest that their good reliability record since the inception of the vehicles is anything other than good, are you?

I suggest you re read your own post where you have posted

"MG's 10-year plus reliability track record is as unblemished so far as Thai-built "Japanese" pickups."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:
5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I suggest you re read your own post where you have posted

"MG's 10-year plus reliability track record is as unblemished so far as Thai-built "Japanese" pickups."

I suggest that you read it again.   I referred to MG's reliability record, not MG pickups' reliability record, although that is obviously included under the MG brand.

Perhaps you could point out what was inaccurate in that statement of mine that you quoted above?     

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not as relevant as 2005 to date!

Maybe you should contact MG and suggest they remove the logo Passion drives since 1924 as you consider it to be irrelevant

Why?  I didn't say that it was irrelevant to MG, I said that it was irrelevant to a discussion here about pickups produced after 2005.

9 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

In Thailand MGs has 40 dealers and not all have service centers. Toyota has 480 service centers and Izuzu has 344. Matter of easy accessibility and convenience. 

And, presumably, buyers of MG cars will be buying in the area that has dealers!  Why would anyone go out of their way to find a dealer and service centre not in their area?

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

It’s only after 5 years that you can begin to assess reliability as owners of Toyota,Honda etc will attest. And remember this is Thailand when you need to fall back on a warranty issue..

Theres a reason people here are quoting large discounts new and which you will discover should you want/need to sell it on later. Secondhand Toyota,Isuzu- no problem. MG…???

Why would I want to sell it. Just buy another and hand mine off to family....no issues. Your opinion only on resale.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I suggest that you read it again.   I referred to MG's reliability record, not MG pickups' reliability record, although that is obviously included under the MG brand.

Perhaps you could point out what was inaccurate in that statement of mine that you quoted above?     

If you were referring only to  MG's reliability record why not leave the statement as that but no you went on to mention pickups in your post

""MG's 10-year plus reliability track record is as unblemished so far as Thai-built "Japanese" pickups.""

Could wait a bit, there is a new one for Thailand very soon 'GWM' SUVs and Pickups

In UK the Great Wall Motors the Pickup  has good reviews and all most 1/2 the price of the D-Max/Toyota in same trim

1805029_115_%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%873_29_800_418.jpg

Edited by ignis
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And, presumably, buyers of MG cars will be buying in the area that has dealers!  Why would anyone go out of their way to find a dealer and service centre not in their area?

Would that concentration of MGs around the dealer considered as a cluster?  Probably 40 clusters then. ???? You are funny.