Very unclear rules after July 1 for Thais and expats living in Phuket?

Boring Cynic

Do Thais and expats living in Phuket, having travelled abroad and come back to Phuket after July 1, all have to follow these rules?

-Book and pay for a 14 night hotel stay at a SHAplus hotel.

-In that case, do we have to actually stay in said hotel?

-Take covid tests on day 6 and 12.

-Have an active place-sharing app.

Please enlighten me!

• Haha 1

To address the points individually:

-Book and pay for a 14 night hotel stay at a SHAplus hotel.

Yes, you must book a 14 night hotel stay at a SHA Plus hotel only.  Not clear at the moment that it would have to be paid fully in advance or not.

-In that case, do we have to actually stay in said hotel?

Yes, you would have to stay in the booked hotel.  This could be enforced by having the hotel report on you everyday (kind of like the TM-30 process, but to some other government entity than immigration).  Or it could be enforced by the place-sharing app that you will have to use.  How this would be enforced is not entirely clear.

-Take covid tests on day 6 and 12.

Yes, you would have to take and pay for covid tests at a hospital.  The exact number varies according to reports on the proposal and is subject to change before the final proposal is approved.  There would be at least one covid test required, but some reporting on the proposal has mentioned as many as three tests.  How this would work exactly is not entirely clear.

-Have an active place-sharing app.

Yes, you have to have an active place-sharing app during the 14 days of your stay in Phuket.  How this will be enforced isn't entirely clear yet.

You didn't mention it but there has been discussion of restricted travel corridors within Phuket outside of which you would not be permitted.  The reporting on this had been vague at best, so how this would work is not entirely clear.

Plenty of room left for other restrictions that I haven't heard about yet.  Plenty of time before July 9.

• Like 2

These aren't the final rules because it hasn't been approved yet and in fact even the proposal hasn't been finalized.  Nonetheless, it's a fairly concise summary of what's thought to be in the current proposal at least according to TAT News:

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/?fbclid=IwAR0lPztSPHjALW256yQFS1Jo7o-dsTaCqZtx3JhcRPAAQxMsV4pHDnhCj8k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, skatewash said:

These aren't the final rules because it hasn't been approved yet and in fact even the proposal hasn't been finalized.  Nonetheless, it's a fairly concise summary of what's thought to be in the current proposal at least according to TAT News:

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/initial-information-phuket-sandbox/?fbclid=IwAR0lPztSPHjALW256yQFS1Jo7o-dsTaCqZtx3JhcRPAAQxMsV4pHDnhCj8k

And the red-tape loving "well-heeled" foreign tourists will come flocking in droves. 
????

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, gungadin1 said:

So I can go outside the hotel to my house in Phuket everyday,no quarantine,but every night I have to go back to the hotel and sleep and pay for the privilege,for 14 days.

Is that right?

Yes.

And if one of your tests happens to be positive (and there are plenty of false positives with PCR tests), you will end up interned and unable to visit your house or anywhere else in Phuket for two weeks.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bikerlou47 said:

But Thai people who live here need not to be vaccinated and they can travel through out the country as they please!

I'm not sure, but I think Thais entering Phuket must have proof of a recent negative test.

It came up in the sandbox FAQs, someone asked if his girlfriend could join him in the SHA hotel. The answer was Yes, but she would need that expensive test if traveling to join you from elsewhere in Thailand.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gungadin1 said:

So I can go outside the hotel to my house in Phuket everyday,no quarantine,but every night I have to go back to the hotel and sleep and pay for the privilege,for 14 days.

Is that right?

You comprehension is entirely unblemished ????

You will apparently have to pay for your 14-day SHA Plus accommodation in full prior to receiving your Certificate of Entry.  

How they will establish that you are staying at your SHA Plus hotel isn't entirely certain.  I have seen it mentioned that you will need to report your temperature at the hotel to health authorities every day.  Presumably that will be using some electronic thermometer device like they have outside certain businesses.  You will also need to download and use a location tracking app on your phone.  The point being that they will have mechanisms to track where you are.  Whether and how strictly this will be enforced is a matter of speculation.

1 hour ago, bikerlou47 said:

Also keep in mind that Thai people coming home will be fully vaccinated and a negative test before they get on a plane and must be locked up for 14 days.

But Thai people who live here need not to be vaccinated and they can travel through out the country as they please!

Everyone entering Phuket including Thais will have been vaccinated fully or have had a a single dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, or a negative covid test within 72 hours of entry.

The major difference between international and domestic entry into Phuket is that international arrivals have to have 2 doses of AstraZeneca while domestic arrivals only have to have one dose of AstraZeneca if that is the brand of their vaccination.

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Everyone entering Phuket including Thais will have been vaccinated fully or have had a a single dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine, or a negative covid test within 72 hours of entry.

The major difference between international and domestic entry into Phuket is that international arrivals have to have 2 doses of AstraZeneca while domestic arrivals only have to have one dose of AstraZeneca if that is the brand of their vaccination.

For Any domestic arrival its 7 days since last test, which I think is ludicrous

But it mentions 7 days in both attachments.

As some international arrivals documents may have went over the 72 hour period, so they will get you to make another Rapid test in arrival zone of Airport.

I thought if you don’t have a test result, they can test you at the airport, and then they allow you to enter?

And yes Vaccine is NOT required Any domestic arrival

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Edited by bolt
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

For Any domestic arrival its 7 days since last test, which I think is ludicrous

But it mentions 7 days in both attachments

And yes Vaccine is NOT required Any domestic arrival

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

Yes, should have said 7 days rather than 72 hours.  Thanks for the correction!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

Yes, should have said 7 days rather than 72 hours.  Thanks for the correction!

no you were right, it should be 72 hours, NOT 7 days

no way would they let us in with a 7 day PCR result.

but for some reason its been extended to 7 days for domestifc 

• Like 1

I don't see many people coming.  China, UK, and other countries are very wary of Southeast Asia and its multiple COVID-19 variants.  Also it's monsoon season with its unpredictable weather.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, skatewash said:

Think of all the unique things you can put in your trip souvenir album:  insurance coverage forms, covid test results, certificate of entry, SHA Plus hotel booking, etc. ????

Yes! I had that s-(C-R-A-P) book. Dumped it all in the nearest trash bin upon exiting quarantine. ????

• Like 1

Privacy invasion app.  smh.  

When uou download apps, they require you to accept anything they throw in it...including:  
having your microphone on at all times.
Access to your emails, texts, and other non encrypted messages like messenger and I"m sure line.

Turn on Video...
Just to name a few standard not even ninja things that can be done.  If you have messenger on your phone, you've agreed to most of that.  It's how when you mention merlot outloud to a friend in a parking lot, a merlot ad comes to you in minutes..

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Poet said:

I'm not sure, but I think Thais entering Phuket must have proof of a recent negative test.

Yes, or for Thais proof of vaccine when entering Phuket.

However, I was at breakfast with my Thai inlaws from Ranong a couple of days ago.  They are all vaccinated (both jabs), and they drove from Ranong to Phuket for a visit to Phuket. They were not stopped when they drove across Sarasin bridge, although they did see a few cars stopped on the Phuket side of the bridge, with officials appearing to be questioning the occupants.  Their speculation is the checks at the bridge may be random.

• Thanks 2

so whats the latest with this for Domestic arrivals Only.

can they leave Phuket to another part of thailand before 7 or 14 days

my wife might come over, but can only stay 7 days

On 6/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, oldcpu said:

Yes, or for Thais proof of vaccine when entering Phuket.

However, I was at breakfast with my Thai inlaws from Ranong a couple of days ago.  They are all vaccinated (both jabs), and they drove from Ranong to Phuket for a visit to Phuket. They were not stopped when they drove across Sarasin bridge, although they did see a few cars stopped on the Phuket side of the bridge, with officials appearing to be questioning the occupants.  Their speculation is the checks at the bridge may be random.

Did your in-laws mention how long they can stay on the Island,

are they resident of phuket or another province as per Thai ID card???

On 6/10/2021 at 11:22 AM, skatewash said:

You comprehension is entirely unblemished ????

You will apparently have to pay for your 14-day SHA Plus accommodation in full prior to receiving your Certificate of Entry.  

How they will establish that you are staying at your SHA Plus hotel isn't entirely certain.  I have seen it mentioned that you will need to report your temperature at the hotel to health authorities every day.  Presumably that will be using some electronic thermometer device like they have outside certain businesses.  You will also need to download and use a location tracking app on your phone.  The point being that they will have mechanisms to track where you are.  Whether and how strictly this will be enforced is a matter of speculation.

They don't care where you stay AFTER you payed 14 days. It's simply pumping $$$ into the travel industry. 

25 minutes ago, bolt said:

so whats the latest with this for Domestic arrivals Only.

can they leave Phuket to another part of thailand before 7 or 14 days

my wife might come over, but can only stay 7 days

Yes, there is no waiting period for domestic arrivals to Phuket, only international arrivals have a 14 day stay in SHA Plus hotel or leave Thailand from Phuket.

Edited by skatewash

1 minute ago, madmen said:

They don't care where you stay AFTER you payed 14 days. It's simply pumping $$$ into the travel industry. 

It's not really clear that they don't care.  Among the things discussed at the moment are daily temperature checks, daily reports from your lodging, tracking by mobile app, etc.  

If you mean do they care where you stay after you've spent 14 days in SHA Plus hotel?  Then no, you can stay anywhere after that.

Seems like a good reason to keep your old phone after upgrading. Just install any required apps on your old phone and check it into the SHA+ hotel and leave it there for 2 weeks. Too bad it can't take any of the required tests for you as well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, bolt said:

Did your in-laws mention how long they can stay on the Island,

are they resident of phuket or another province as per Thai ID card???

They are Thai residents of Ranong.