Google Pixel 4a 5G

MikeWill

I'm on the lookout for Google Pixel 4a 5G to be used in Thailand 5G mode and adapter/plug. It better be a new one but will consider a second hand as well.  

Appreciate any advice.

I really like the pure Android experience in Google phones but to be honest I've had problems with three of them all from different manufacturers.

Thailand really does not give you a very good choice of mobile phones anymore. Why don't you look at the one plus.

• Confused 2

TreeMobile?  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/google-pixel-4a-5g-ram6-128gb-treemobile-tree-mobile-i1869742936-s5783732934.html

20 hours ago, kynikoi said:

really like the pure Android experience in Google phones

Android One?

Nokia 5.4 is my daily driver, bit of a budget phone. ~ 5,100 THB. Nokia 7 Plus is a back-up.

That Pixel 4A (not 5G) looks interesting. 13,200 at TreeMobile.

Edited by mtls2005

7 hours ago, vidra said:

I have a Pixel 5 and the 5G is not working on it in Thailand. Usually providers only enable 5G on approved handsets and since the Pixel is not officially sold in Thailand it wont work. Thats my personal experience.

Who is your service provider and what plan do you have? 

I have found Pixel 4a 5G in Lazada at ฿14,500. 

The seller (I Panda - a Chinese company) told me that it can use the 5G in Thailand. It is shipped from China.

Edited by MikeWill

21 hours ago, MikeWill said:

I have found Pixel 4a 5G in Lazada at ฿14,500. 

The seller (I Panda - a Chinese company) told me that it can use the 5G in Thailand. It is shipped from China.

Thai customs might ask you for your import license, which you obviously don't have, and then might confiscate it. So ordering phones from abroad is risky.

You don't need an import license. What do you think this is? Myanmar?

I think you'll find dozens, maybe hundreds, of reports of folks here ordering and receiving phones, and many other items, from China with no issues.

I myself have two phones I've purchased from China, no duty, no excise and even no VAT.

The larger issue I think, is the reliability of the seller.

iPanda? Personally I would have purchased, an item like this (Pixel phone) here in Thailand, even if paying a few thousand more baht.

Edited by mtls2005

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You don't need an import license. What do you think this is? Myanmar?

I think you'll find dozens, maybe hundreds, of reports of folks here ordering and receiving phones, and many other items, from China with no issues.

I myself have two phones I've purchased from China, no duty, no excise and even no VAT.

No, Thailand:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1167359-nbtc-import-licence-for-personal-cellphone-help/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1143920-nbtc-import-licence-help/

You can find various other topics here on Thaivisa.

Of course you can be lucky and it doesn't get checked, but if you are unlucky...

• Thanks 1

It's not such an epic phone to be hassled about.

Look at one+ or realme. I have a real me and the specs are awesome for price. Need to strip out the bloatware but Thailand's mobile offerings now pretty much monopolistic.

Few years from now and the phone is out of warranty I'll just load a custom ROM.

Next month Google should release Pixel 5a.  From what I read, it anticipated being 6.2" with a plastic body, to have 5G, and cost under $400.  

Rather similar and $100 cheaper than the Pixel 4a 5G. But will be available only in the US and Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

Pixel 5a Specs:
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 750G (budget 5G chipset)
6GB of RAM and 128GB UFS 3.1 storage
3,840 mAh battery with 20W fast charging
Pixel 5a will run on Android 12 
Pixel 5a price start at around $349

Why are you so negative mtls2005.

Do you have an alternative suggestion?

My current phone is Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android One). I bought it back in 2017, and it's working just fine for my needs. Even so, it's Android 9 and will never get an OS update from Xiaomi.

On the other hand, I've heard of the possibility to upgrade it with the custom ROM, though I have no idea how to do that.

Any suggestions, directions?

• 1 month later...

Pixel 5A 5G launched.

$449

Pre-order

16,990 here, available 13 Sep.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, MikeWill said:

Why are you so negative mtls2005.

Negative? As in I placed an order for one today? ????

On 7/17/2021 at 11:26 PM, MikeWill said:

My current phone is Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android One). 

I too have a M1 A1  - brilliant phone (running Lineage custom ROM), still using it, mostly as a audio book reader.  I also have a Mi A2, another brilliant phone, stock ROM, houses U.S. SIMs. Just got the July security update.

Also have two Nokia Android One phones (7 Plus, 5.4). 

Edited by mtls2005

Hi mtls2005,

Yes, I follow the news on Pixel 5A. But...

I've changed my mind and bought the POCO F3 (white color) 8GB + 256GB. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, my old M1 A1 stopped working after I transferred the data and sim card to POCO. During the quarantine, all shops are closed. So, can't do anything with it.

The other good news, I get two doses of the AZ vaccine.