Gluten free beer

beau thai

As my earlier thread has been archived I am starting over to try for more feedback. 

Right now I am drinking Cheers Rice Berry beer which I hadn't seen before I spotted it in Big C today.

I usually buy beer lao lager (not dark) (rice beer) but availabity is spotty so sometimes I drink dry cider  - but availability is also spotty! (singha moose is just way too sweet). 

Interested to know if anyone else has found  a good supplier of gf lager type beer- or dry cider. But not at silly prices! 

• Like 1

i'm in a similar situation - hands down the best is  daura  damm brewed in barcelona available from wishbeer.com .yes its expensive ,but with wholesale membership discounts the price drops to 105 baht per bottle.GF anything is an expensive hobby,but quality of life makes it worth it,if like me you feel underpar when consuming gluten.fave cider stowfords press,aspall premier cru and organic,magners.in TOPS they have stones delicious IPA GF removed,its very strong 7.5% and gives me a headache.The flavor is nice though.Brewdog Vagabond IPA occasionally becomes available, and is good but hard to find in bottles ,can get keg.Brunehaut has 2 or in a range of GF but pricey.high on my wishlist but not yet available here would be peroni GF.its light taste would be good for this hot climate.ive tried everything else Tsintao,carslberg,kirin , asahi,corona, and the cheers riceberry,which was darker than i was expecting but i'm not convinced they are that low in gluten,which is hard to test accurately,not really tried beer lao,do you recommend it?.generally they say a lighter ,pale lager is likely to have less gluten .ive tried switching to wine but its high in sugar - brancott estate sauvignon blanc 649 bht is best or a budget easy drinking redwine mont clair BIN 9 ,389bht(dont get BIN 6 or celebration its too sweet).other highlights stolichnaya have a gf version, ciroc is made from grapes.ive had a few experiments with sake too..here a list of spirits and there gluten status https://glutenbee.com/gluten-free-alcohol-list/

good luck

14 hours ago, natway09 said:

Tried the alcohol free beer once ,,,,,,,,,,,bloody awful & that supposedly has yeast & barley in it.

Gluten content in Thai beers is minimal. Does it still affect you physiclly or is it a mental thing ?

555 -a mental thing?? No a severe bathroom thing! any beer with gluten

On 6/9/2021 at 10:43 PM, dingdongrb said:

I've been drinking the Cheers Rice Berry for a few months now. I really like the taste. Been buying mine at Makro (by the 12-pack).

Just now, beau thai said:

555 -a mental thing?? No a severe bathroom thing! any beer with gluten

On 6/9/2021 at 10:43 PM, dingdongrb said:

I've been drinking the Cheers Rice Berry for a few months now. I really like the taste. Been buying mine at Makro (by the 12-pack).

just the response I was hoping for Dingdong. Many thanks Cheers riceberry is very drinkable and I wil llook for i

6 hours ago, DTL2014 said:

i'm in a similar situation - hands down the best is  daura  damm brewed in barcelona available from wishbeer.com .yes its expensive ,but with wholesale membership discounts the price drops to 105 baht per bottle.GF anything is an expensive hobby,but quality of life makes it worth it,if like me you feel underpar when consuming gluten.fave cider stowfords press,aspall premier cru and organic,magners.in TOPS they have stones delicious IPA GF removed,its very strong 7.5% and gives me a headache.The flavor is nice though.Brewdog Vagabond IPA occasionally becomes available, and is good but hard to find in bottles ,can get keg.Brunehaut has 2 or in a range of GF but pricey.high on my wishlist but not yet available here would be peroni GF.its light taste would be good for this hot climate.ive tried everything else Tsintao,carslberg,kirin , asahi,corona, and the cheers riceberry,which was darker than i was expecting but i'm not convinced they are that low in gluten,which is hard to test accurately,not really tried beer lao,do you recommend it?.generally they say a lighter ,pale lager is likely to have less gluten .ive tried switching to wine but its high in sugar - brancott estate sauvignon blanc 649 bht is best or a budget easy drinking redwine mont clair BIN 9 ,389bht(dont get BIN 6 or celebration its too sweet).other highlights stolichnaya have a gf version, ciroc is made from grapes.ive had a few experiments with sake too..here a list of spirits and there gluten status https://glutenbee.com/gluten-free-alcohol-list/

good luck

Thanks for detailed reply.

Yes Beer Lao is great ( to my taste) and in reviews many prefer Beer Lao Dark, - and Beer Lao has been described by a few as the best in Asia! I havent sampled enough to vouch for that.  And opinions on beer are like those on pizza and burgers, and seem to flame folk for some reason.  Tried Alcohol free but not much improved since I used to drink in Saudi many many years ago.Too malty for me.

Best white wine I have found to my taste and budget is from Winepro online. Voyager Chardonnay from Margaret River at about 700bht. and Aussie Merlot is my favourite red.

Having spent all my long life eating what I like where I like, when my oncologist identified  post- chemo dairy and gluten allergies it was both a relief and a challenge.   Been at it 2 years and regress occasionally to see if both are still problematic. They are! 

But gluten free beer and pizza bases are around and I bought a bread machine and make up various non wheat flours successfully now. Non dairy cheese is also here and tasty.  Home made cider is very easy too.

After ops and chemo just happy to be alive to enjoy a gf df diet!

• Like 1

i'm in a similar situation - hands down the best is  daura  damm brewed in barcelona available from wishbeer.com .yes its expensive ,but with wholesale membership discounts the price drops to 105 baht per bottle.GF anything is an expensive hobby,but quality of life makes it worth it,if like me you feel underpar when consuming gluten.fave cider stowfords press,aspall premier cru and organic,magners.in TOPS they have stones delicious IPA GF removed,its very strong 7.5% and gives me a headache.The flavor is nice though.Brewdog Vagabond IPA occasionally becomes available, and is good but hard to find in bottles ,can get keg.Brunehaut has 3 or 4 in a range of GF but pricey.high on my wishlist but not yet available here would be peroni GF.its light taste would be good for this hot climate.ive tried everything else Tsintao,carslberg,kirin , asahi,corona, and the cheers riceberry,which was darker than i was expecting but i'm not convinced they are that low in gluten,which is hard to test accurately,not really tried beer lao,do you recommend it?.generally they say a lighter ,pale lager is likely to have less gluten .ive tried switching to wine but its high in sugar - brancott estate sauvignon blanc 649 bht is best or a budget easy drinking redwine mont clair BIN 9 ,389bht(dont get BIN 6 or celebration its too sweet).other highlights stolichnaya have a gf version, ciroc is made from grapes.ive had a few experiments with sake too..here a list of spirits and there gluten status https://glutenbee.com/gluten-free-alcohol-list/. Carlsberg own the celia brand which is excellent-maybe we can lobby them to supply thailand.san miguel GF taste is not so good

good luck