NON-O Visa questions and covid.

Greetings all/ swadee kap.

I am a British national who is married to a Thai and have children living in Thailand.

I wish to go visit them and want to apply for a non o visa from London.

A few questions I had:

1. What are the requirements now, documents wise? Do I have to book a ticket in order to apply?

2. What other requirements in relation to covid are needed in order to be allowed entry?

3. I plan to stay at my wife place, do I still need to quarantine in a hotel?

Any help appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Jay2013 said:

I wish to go visit them

How long do you wish to stay in Thailand?

Your first 2 questions extensively covered. You require certificate of entry (COE). Insurance along with other requirements.

You will require to quarantine in Hotel.

Edited by DrJack54

op i would hang fire for a bit, see how the 'sandboxes' pan out

at present you need COE and a visa from Thai embassy( can be done on a visa exempt entry), pre flight Covid test, 100,000USD Covid insurance, quarantine booked in a hotel 15 nights, vaccinated and non vaccinated treated the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

op i would hang fire for a bit, see how the 'sandboxes' pan out

at present you need COE and a visa from Thai embassy( can be done on a visa exempt entry), pre flight Covid test, 100,000USD Covid insurance, quarantine booked in a hotel 15 nights, vaccinated and non vaccinated treated the same

True. 

The reason I asked the OP re how long he wished to visit is that just enter visa exempt and he still has options to extend his stay. 60 day to visit wife. Covid extensions. Also can obtain non O at immigration if required.

BTW if he obtains non O in UK does he not also require the useless 400/40 Thai insurance. Or is that just required for non o retirement and not required for non o marriage?

He has options. He used the word visit so length of stay is important.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies guys.

I will probably end up stay a little over 3-4 months.

Is a ME Non O visa based of marriage and having a child still available at the Thai embassy here in London?

Can I go apply in person or are they currently only accepting postal applications? 

Do I need proof of a return ticket if I obtain a NON-O visa and any Proof of funds upon arrival? 

I don't understand the need to quarantine for 15 days if you have been vaccinated and do a test before arriving, absurd!

15 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

Is a ME Non O visa based of marriage and having a child still available at the Thai embassy here in London?

Only a single entry non-o visa is issued now.

15 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

Can I go apply in person or are they currently only accepting postal applications? 

You have to apply online for the visa and the post your passport to the embassy with the online application you do.

If you are only staying for 3 to 4 months entering visa exempt that allows a 45 day entry now that can be extended for 30 days and then you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit you wife.

Lots of info is here on this embassy webpage. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

44 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

I don't understand the need to quarantine for 15 days if you have been vaccinated and do a test before arriving, absurd!

Note it's similar returning to the UK from Thailand.

Negative RT-PCR test 72 hours before departure.

10 days quarantine at home. (providing you don't travel through a Country on the 'red' list).

2 pre book and pay for Covid tests at home.

Complete travel locator form.

Edited by Tanoshi

thanks for the info ubon and tanoshi. I started an online application for a NON-O visa, and its asking me for details of flights and hotel which I didn't plan on booking until I had been issued the visa? Never had to prebook anything when applying for a visa in the past also. Is this also mandatory to do now before applying for a NON-O visa? 

53 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

I started an online application for a NON-O visa, and its asking me for details of flights and hotel which I didn't plan on booking until I had been issued the visa?

I strongly suggest you spend some time reading all the requirements first, before doing anything else, in order tp plan your journey with the least amount of stress.

Mistakes can be costly and non reversible.

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa (thaievisa.go.th)

From the E-Visa application site - Non Immigrant O Visa.

Required Documents.

(Please check relevant embassy/ consulate's website for specifically required documents)

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.

2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.

3. Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party).

4. Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand.

• Spouse of a Thai national
  • Marriage certificate
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai spouse
  • Children of a Thai national / Legally adopted child of a Thai national
  • Birth Certificate / Certificate of adoption
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai parent
  • Parent of a Thai national
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai children
  • Details of accommodation in Thailand
  • Travel Booking confirmation

Read the requirements for foreigners entering Thailand.

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction (until 30 September 2021) - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Avoid flights through 'red' listed Countries.

Currently you need to book an ASQ hotel for 15 nights quarantine.

From July 1st another way to quarantine know as the 'Sandbox' scheme is supposed to start.

When were you thinking of travelling?

Edited by Tanoshi

Thanks for the reply. 

I plan on traveling around 1-10th july.

I have everything they require for the visa i just can't see where it says i need flights and hotels booked before applying for the visa?

Is this essential to do or not before applying?

37 minutes ago, Jay2013 said:

Thanks for the reply. 

I plan on traveling around 1-10th july.

I have everything they require for the visa i just can't see where it says i need flights and hotels booked before applying for the visa?

Is this essential to do or not before applying?

Flight and hotel bookings are required to apply for the Non O Visa.

As posted in my previous reply from the required documents list.

• A copy of a ID card of a Thai children
  • Details of accommodation in Thailand
  • Travel Booking confirmation

Edited by Tanoshi

Some advice;

Entering on a Non O Visa will grant a stay of 90 days. You can extend this for 60 days for reason of visiting Thai wife = 150 days.

You must book your ASQ hotel and flights first to apply for the Non O Visa.

Avoid flights through 'red' listed Countries, I suggest KLM, Lufthansa, or my preferred option would be Finnair. 

With an ASQ booking you'll be quarantined for 14 days, 15 nights in your selected hotel.

You'll more or less be confined to your room.

3 meals a day + 2 Covid tests included in the price.

If you wait a little longer, another choice for quarantine called the Sandbox scheme is available from July 1st. Spend 14 days in Phuket at an ASH+ hotel.

The differences being your free to travel around Phuket (not stuck in your room), but meals and the mandatory Covid tests are not included in the price.

(Final details are still to be published).

Once you have your Non O Visa, you can register and follow the procedure to obtain your COE (Certificate of Entry) clearance.

You need to purchase Covid Insurance for $100,000 cover for the COE application.

With Visa and COE in hand finally download and complete the T8 and Declaration form, as well as the Thailand Plus App to your phone.

Finally arrange for an RT-PCR test with the results issued within 72 hours of boarding your flight.

Alternatively, you could change your mind ????