Serbian Volleyball Player Punished

snoop1130

New-Project-1-4-1.jpg

ITALY, June 9 (TNA) – The Federation Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) banned a female Serbian player for two matches and fined her volleyball federation 700,000 baht for her inappropriate gesture in a match in which her team defeated Thailand during the Nations League.

FIVB through its disciplinary sub-committee found Sanja Djurdjevic violating its discipline for the inappropriate gesture during the match on June 1.

Serbian player Sanja Djurdevic drew two fingers to the side of her face to make the “slanty-eyes” gesture after a Thai player’s failure to score a point during the match.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-713699

tnalogo.jpg

-- © Copyright TNA 2021-06-09

• Haha 2

Yawn... is it no longer OK to make jokes about other races and nationalities?

Father Ted - I am Chinese

I'm glad that this wokey world has passed me by - I still laugh myself silly at Alf Garnett, Father Ted etc etc.

Now are there any jokes about Serbian people?  Bunch of Muslim-slaying murderers the lot of them ????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Only snowflakes allowed, eh?

Anyone can be abusive, there's just no place for it on the world stage.

As I said in another thread, it's a pity the Thai girls didn't shout out 'Srebrenica' in response.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

She's a slow one for sure but who knows what she learns in her culture. As many people said, it just isn't a place for racism. Stopping it and the fine are the right way to deal with it. Would you like to go to immigration and have an officer there say 'F@@king Farang' as you walked up to do your paperwork? Of course, some may think racism but there's no need for out in public places. When these online forums were new, there was a lot of openness but even here it's been cleaned up a bit. We all have some gripes but it's all been for the better.

Still, I will say that impulse does have a point about some people here stereotyping. It is human nature to some extent, but we should all try to see the truth and be fair.

Anyways, this punishment of the athlete is just another small step to a better world overall.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The logic you have presented so far in this thread is one of a flawed binary mindset..... 

.... if someone is not racist, they are a snowflake, or, only snowflakes are offended by racism. 

There is nothing wrong with competitive banter and smack talk, but there is a line...  those who suggest stepping over that line into racism is not acceptable are not snowflakes, they are just regular decent people... y’know, not racists !

Rubbish, they are too sensitive. When I played international rugby I was called a sweaty sock by some players, and got my nuts crushed by some prop that looked lie a bulldog. All part of the game. 

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Rubbish, they are too sensitive. When I played international rugby I was called a sweaty sock by some players, and got my nuts crushed by some prop that looked lie a bulldog. All part of the game. 

Is it as bad as this,  to say sweaty sock (cockney slang) while both sides of the pitch enjoy similar  privilege in a power structure of white supremacy?

6 hours ago, impulse said:

More like righteous indignation out looking for an excuse to unleash itself.

Which is rich coming from a forum where posters would have you believe that all Thai men are emotional children, all Thai women go down for dollars, all Thai drivers suck swamp water, there's no such thing as planning in Thailand, and...and...  You get the drift.  Real, mean spirited racism.  Not the imaginary, "boohoo she's a racist" kind.

Good comeback however it does not make your point right. Richard was right in what he stated. Big difference between some smack talk and racism. But your right there are a lot of people here that are quite racist you see it all the time in postings. 

Does not make this any better though makes both things wrong. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

More like righteous indignation out looking for an excuse to unleash itself.

Which is rich coming from a forum where posters would have you believe that all Thai men are emotional children, all Thai women go down for dollars, all Thai drivers suck swamp water, there's no such thing as planning in Thailand, and...and...  You get the drift.  Real, mean spirited racism.  Not the imaginary, "boohoo she's a racist" kind.

Seems to me there's a high correlation between people who defend this kind of racist conduct and those who criticize Thai culture on the grounds of it being racist against farangs.

Edited by placeholder

24 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Is it as bad as this,  to say sweaty sock (cockney slang) while both sides of the pitch enjoy similar  privilege in a power structure of white supremacy?

There were black players on each side.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yawn... is it no longer OK to make jokes about other races and nationalities?

Father Ted - I am Chinese

I'm glad that this wokey world has passed me by - I still laugh myself silly at Alf Garnett, Father Ted etc etc.

Now are there any jokes about Serbian people?  Bunch of Muslim-slaying murderers the lot of them ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese,_Japanese,_dirty_knees

I actually remember this used to taunt  of Asian  American kids ALWAYS

accompanied by the pulling of eyes back to identify the object of the bullies hatred. And it was considered normal to say Oriental. I remember once in PE class a boy abused by classmates

The coach caught them in the act.  A Chinese American, stopped class and gave us a profanity laced lecture on what it was like to grow up Chinese a generation before.  

A bad memory, us boys would have been 12-13 by then. 

America, fundamentally racist history but we are moving ahead. Is Serbia is all white and they have not had to deal with this? That's why it is a good learing experience foe a 24 year old athlete (she should know better by now) The slit eyed taunts have been a problem in otters sport as well

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Well as the international federation overseeing volleyball has banned her for 2 games, I don't believe it is part of the game...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I too played Rugby (for my Uni), abuse was common. 

Is ’sweaty sock’ racist? (a scottish person of any race can be a ‘jock’ - sweaty sock, right ?)... is that racially offensive ?? 

I think you will find that it (the ball crushing) is no longer part of the game... 

Joe Marler received a 10 match ban for this ‘nut cracker’... 

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 12.04.05.png